Sponsored by:

Parking Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2005, 10:07 AM
R.Bullets
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Ticket

Not me, but my other half. Street parked on a bit of road that has people parked on day and night. She parked right by the post with the restrictions on it.

There were 2 boards, one, normal blue/white said parking 1 hour, no return etc 8am-8pm.

The other board, yellow with blue circle, redline through it said parking restricted 8pm-8am.

She was parked last night and got done at 9pm, so she has no case she has to pay, and has done so already to make it as cheap as possible (£30).

The reason I am posting however is that I am a cynic. In my experience these yellow parking restrictions almost always run from am - pm and can think of no reason why that stretch of road is restricted overnight when it is safe to park there during the day.

As a local, and knowing that there are always cars parked there, Sharon had no reason to examine the restrictions particularly closely, and many people would also fall into teh same category.

We live in Torbay, where the council have only recently taken advantage of the decriminalisation of parking offenses, and I know for a fact that they are hoping to raise a good deal of revenue as a result. Parking prices are high here (maybe not compared to city prices, but they have gone up a lot recently), and the pay and display carparks require payment 24/7.

So the cynic in me says that the council is trying to push people into the pay carparks at night, and if they confuse a few people by restricting legal daytime parking at night, and raise some £30 fines along the way then so much the better!

I'm not sure I should have posted this here, especially as it is only my second ever post, but she came home last night in a real temper, took it out on me, and so I am just getting it out of my system

RB
Old 03 November 2005, 10:46 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Talking

Originally Posted by R.Bullets

she came home last night in a real temper, took it out on me, and so I am just getting it out of my system

RB
Get your own back on her tonight. Tie her to bed and tell her to get ready for the ride of her life. Then go down the pub for several hours, play pool with your mates and get pissed.
Old 03 November 2005, 10:47 AM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

Go to www.pepipoo.com and post this there, there are some extremely helpful people there who love getting their teeth into matters like this.
Old 03 November 2005, 01:11 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

If the parking regime in the area is decriminalised then the fine is likely to be illegal under the 1689 Bill of Rights which makes it a crime for any body except for a court of law to impose a fine. Random people can't go about the country imposing random fines for random, and made up, crimes.

This has been fairly well documented on this board over the last while. This thread, for example, gives some details:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=466982

It would also be useful for her to determine the exact status of the location where this took place, I probably post several times a month detailing a location where the parking fines have just been found to be illegal for reasons other than the BoR, so usually there are at least 2 defences. The latest was in Stoke:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=468205

Either way it is highly unlikely that she will have to pay the fine and, in truth, the demand for the fine my be the only illegal element of this story.
Old 03 November 2005, 02:58 PM
R.Bullets
Scooby Newbie

Get your own back on her tonight. Tie her to bed and tell her to get ready for the ride of her life. Then go down the pub for several hours, play pool with your mates and get pissed.
*Wonders about the wisdom of posting on a forum with this level of maturity*

Go to www.pepipoo.com and post this there, there are some extremely helpful people there who love getting their teeth into matters like this.
If the parking regime in the area is decriminalised then the fine is likely to be illegal under the 1689 Bill of Rights which makes it a crime for any body except for a court of law to impose a fine. Random people can't go about the country imposing random fines for random, and made up, crimes.

This has been fairly well documented on this board over the last while. This thread, for example, gives some details:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=466982

It would also be useful for her to determine the exact status of the location where this took place, I probably post several times a month detailing a location where the parking fines have just been found to be illegal for reasons other than the BoR, so usually there are at least 2 defences. The latest was in Stoke:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=468205
Either way it is highly unlikely that she will have to pay the fine and, in truth, the demand for the fine my be the only illegal element of this story.
*Finds faith restored*

Thanks for the help guys. Interesting point about the legality of any fines of this type. On the whole I am in favour of the control of parking, if there was none then it would be a nightmare. I don't even have a problem with pay and display as such, at least where it gives some value for money.

I am just concerned that this sign, and possibly more in our area, are there simply to increase revenue, either by forcing people to pay for parking that they otherwise would not, or to cause confusion and give the opprtunity for substantial fines, legal or not.

RB
Old 03 November 2005, 03:09 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I agree that parking needs to be controlled but, as most are aware, in many areas it is now controlled by what appears to be the mafia and fairness or sensible application of the rules are not allowed to stand in the way of income.

It seems only reasonable that the majority should make a stand against this as although we want sensible parking no one voted for the mafia to be the ones in control. Also good parking brings trade and so parking space can actually be self financing, it literally makes economic sense even if you don't charge motorists to use it. You need only look at out of town shopping centres or big stores, they don't charge for using their huge car parks and they don't make a loss either.

What we also need is more parking and better roads to encourage motorists to make best use of their cars and to give them more choice as to where they park and where they do business. Just as congestion has been artifically created by the anti-car lobby so parking problems are often artificial and driven by the policies of a few lentil muncher Greenpeace nuts who think that world communism is only a few years away.
Old 03 November 2005, 04:55 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Thumbs down

Some sort of sense of humour bypass. Lighten up my friend, and stop moaning about (what looks like a legal) 30 fine.