Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty details arrive in post today!!

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2005, 10:49 PM
gubby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty details arrive in post today!!

Well today I received my warranty pack from Liaco in Malta via Motorpoint.

They include:-

1. Very nice letter from Liaco Subaru telling me that my Subaru is backed with a 3 year, 12 Year anti-perforation, manufacturers warranty with European cross border acceptance. How good is that!!

2. Official Subaru Malta Sales Invoice. Which apparently, I need only hand over a photocopy to any Subaru Authorised Repairer should my car require warranty work. Fantastic!!

3. A Warranty & Service Booklet with service intervals every three or five thousand miles. But reading the service intervals threads on this forum, we in the UK need only follow the shaded intervals every nine or ten thousand. Brilliant!!

4. A compliments slip from Motorpoint telling me if i have any queries regarding Warranty Registration to call them.

So my question is where do IM come into this and why do I have to make contact with them re Registering the warranty. It all seems tickety boo!

And why do I have a feeling this is going to end in tears!!
Old 02 November 2005, 11:06 PM
U4iK
Scooby Newbie

Gubby when did you buy your Subaru from Motorpoint.

I picked mines up just under a week ago and was told at pick up that the 3 year Subaru warranty was being withheld by Subaru UK.

Still waiting on the documents to come through from Motorpoint all that has arrived so far is the spare key how long should this all take and then what should I do.
Old 02 November 2005, 11:16 PM
gubby
Scooby Regular

Gubby when did you buy your Subaru from Motorpoint.

I picked mines up just under a week ago and was told at pick up that the 3 year Subaru warranty was being withheld by Subaru UK.

Still waiting on the documents to come through from Motorpoint all that has arrived so far is the spare key how long should this all take and then what should I do.
Hi M8

I picked up mine on the 30 September, and they said that it would take 5 or six weeks for the service book and warranty details to come through, which they have. So you may have to hang on for another month yet.

I picked mine up from Derby and all the keys and manuals together with the all important certificate of conformity were there.

I just am a little uneasy about Subaru UK's role in all this as Subaru Malta tell me that I have a 3 year Warranty. So it is worrying to hear that Motorpoint themselves are telling you that Subaru Uk are withholding warranty clearance.

Did he tell you what the situation was and what Motorpoint were willing to do?

I
Old 02 November 2005, 11:19 PM
U4iK
Scooby Newbie

Did he tell you what the situation was and what Motorpoint were willing to do?
Yeah they gave me a 1 year Motorpoint warranty free of charge.

Dont care about the motorpoint warranty would much prefer the 3 year Subaru one.

Hope this is the case now
Old 02 November 2005, 11:25 PM
gubby
Scooby Regular

ooooooooooooooh dear.

Looks like a call to after sales may be in order. They sold me a car with a three year Subaru warranty not a one year Motorpoint one.

I said it may all end in tears. We shall see.

Aftersales number is 0870 1213140 if you need it.

Last edited by gubby; 03 November 2005 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02 November 2005, 11:27 PM
U4iK
Scooby Newbie

Thanks mate going to hold back until the service and warranty books arrive.

Still dont have a car manual either did you receive this right away when you picked up the car?
Old 02 November 2005, 11:44 PM
WR 1mposter
Scooby Regular

Get in touch with trading standards

The import dealer from where my was purchased, as said "there are several
owners taking matters further"... and Trading Standards are behind them all the way...
they have to comply with the European Union
Old 02 November 2005, 11:48 PM
gubby
Scooby Regular

Yeah. They should have given you a manual. I should hassle them about that now, as the longer you leave it, they seem to have a clause in their handover guff that says if you dont receive manuals within a certain number of weeks ,assume they are not available. It's also quite a good manual.

You should also have:-
1. the Certificate of Conformity which is mega important.
2. Two ignition keys.
3. Two alarm fobs
4. Instruction manual for alarm and key code.

I take it it was a new car as used ones the rules seem to be different
Old 02 November 2005, 11:51 PM
gubby
Scooby Regular

The import dealer from where my was purchased, as said "there are several
owners taking matters further"... and Trading Standards are behind them all the way...
they have to comply with the European Union
Yours wouldn't happen to be a Cyprus Scooby from Alliance would it??
Old 03 November 2005, 12:13 AM
WR 1mposter
Scooby Regular

No its from Malta Liaco and it took 12 months to get my warranty
from them, but got it eventually and is now registered with IM
I dealt with them myself because of the delay
and Spoke to a Angela Gartside who was most helpful
and sent of copy of sales..... FAO Angela Gartside ....
and got the IM registered paperwork back within a week
Old 03 November 2005, 01:23 AM
gubby
Scooby Regular

Spoke to a Angela Gartside who was most helpful
and sent of copy of sales..... FAO Angela Gartside ....
and got the IM registered paperwork back within a week
Cheers for that m8.

Why do you have to get involved with IM though? From what I received today the letter from Subaru Malta states that everything is in place and that the Warranty has European cross border acceptance.
Old 03 November 2005, 09:11 AM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

alright gubby, i still haven't got my stuff from motorpoint, and i've phoned them three times now.

i am seriously not happy that they are telling new buyers that the warranty is being witheld, yet they told me that evrything's fine, and that i will have a warranty.

thing is to register with IM you need to send the original invoice + V5.

1) the invoice is presumably made out to motorpoint/ some other company
2) my V5 says i am the second owner, with the first owner being some company or other.

so it'll be pretty obvious to IM that its not a private import, which is what motorpoint told me to say.

if i don't get my warranty motorpoint will end up very unhappy!
Old 03 November 2005, 09:17 AM
fenman
Scooby Regular

so it'll be pretty obvious to IM that its not a private import, which is what motorpoint told me to say.

Got it in one Donnie........I think that's where Motorpoint and the other sellers are going wrong, they aren't legally authorised to resell the cars from places like Malta!
Old 03 November 2005, 10:26 AM
gubby
Scooby Regular

The letter from Liaco is addressed to me personally and the Sales Invoice is made out to me personally. No mention of Motorpoint.

HOWEVER the V5 is registered in the name of Simply Short Term before being changed to me as second owner.

This is not going to work is it.
Old 03 November 2005, 10:41 AM
fenman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gubby
The letter from Liaco is addressed to me personally and the Sales Invoice is made out to me personally. No mention of Motorpoint.

HOWEVER the V5 is registered in the name of Simply Short Term before being changed to me as second owner.

No. Seems unlikely.

Give them the car back?
Old 03 November 2005, 10:52 AM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

probably not, no.

pretty sure Liaco / Motorpoint are committing fraud if they have changed the sales invoice to show you as the purchaser- because you weren't!

i'm assuming it my car won't be covered by subaru warranty, in which case->
how much should i demand in compensation?
or should i demand they give me my money back?

i'd then have my pick of nearly new/demo UK cars, or considering the mileage i do (2000 a month, i'd be much better of with a golf tdi or something)

don't get me wrong i love my scoob, but no one wants to pay 17000 for a performance car with no warranty?
Old 03 November 2005, 10:54 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Oh dear, it seems Motorpoint could be the cause of all this aggro from IM.
Advising a customer to lie about purchace when it's SO obviously not give the V5 has you down as second owner with some micky mouse name down as first...!

Have you guys got a service book, if so who's details are written on the inside cover..?

Mine was made out by the Cypriate dealer with my details etc... and I am the first owner on V5.

I wouldn't be very happy with Motorpoint at the moment. You need to follow this up with trading standards IMHO.
Old 03 November 2005, 11:04 AM
comic cuts
Scooby Regular

Location: Holder of six fairy tokens, from the land of green ginger

From what I've read it isn't IM who are at fault at all.....they seem to be protecting themselves by not condoning an apparent contravention of EU regulations by folks such as Motorpoint.

Hope all those taken in will receive fair treatment from their supplier. I think if it were me I'd be returning the car as the Subaru warranty is such a huge part of the attraction of the car as a whole.

CC
Old 03 November 2005, 11:10 AM
Krg WRX
Scooby Newbie

No,it's not...IM will ask for the V5,invoice from where you bought it from in the UK and the invoice from originating country.
I sent mine of to IM and received the letter back refusing warranty.

My MY05 WRX is from Motorpoint at Derby,I informed after sales at Motorpoint and they asked for a copy of the letter.

I have spoke to after sales at Motorpoint this morning and they said that Subaru in Malta is in contact with IM and Subaru Japan trying sort this out.
They also said that as the vehicle was sold with a 3 year warranty,it will be honoured.
If I have any problems with the car I have to let them know and they will deal with it and inform Subaru in Malta.
So what ever happens with situation with IM the warranty will be honoured.
Old 03 November 2005, 11:24 AM
gubby
Scooby Regular

My letter from Subaru (Liaco Ltd) clearly states that my car has a 3 year manufacturers warranty with cross border acceptance. No caveats at all

If Subaru say that then thats what it should mean

The letter from Subaru (Liaco Ltd) also clearly states that should the car require any warranty work at a Subaru Authorised Repairer, that it is very important that I ONLY (Their Capitals not mine) hand over a photocopy of the Official (Subaru Malta) Sale Invoice.

I don't know if the emphasis is on the ONLY or the photocopy.

It's all a bit of a dogs breakfast but it seems that Subaru ( Liaco )are getting into bed with Motorpoint (Well I suppose they would do wouldn't they)

Motorpoint tell me that they are sorting the problem with Subaru.

Motorpoint tell me that I need do nothing more i.e. no need to contact IM at all. If I need warranty work done I show copy of Original Sales Invoice and should there be a problem that they Motorpoint will intercede with the Dealer on my behalf.

Doesn't fill you with confidence though does it. I suppose it's a case of watch this space.

Last edited by gubby; 03 November 2005 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03 November 2005, 11:25 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Krg WRX
No,it's not...IM will ask for the V5,invoice from where you bought it from in the UK and the invoice from originating country.
I sent mine of to IM and received the letter back refusing warranty.

My MY05 WRX is from Motorpoint at Derby,I informed after sales at Motorpoint and they asked for a copy of the letter.

I have spoke to after sales at Motorpoint this morning and they said that Subaru in Malta is in contact with IM and Subaru Japan trying sort this out.
They also said that as the vehicle was sold with a 3 year warranty,it will be honoured.
If I have any problems with the car I have to let them know and they will deal with it and inform Subaru in Malta.
So what ever happens with situation with IM the warranty will be honoured.
I'd get this confirmed in writing if I was you as in 18months time if you have a claim the poeple who have told you this have moved on and nobody wants to know..!

Had a similar thing when I bought a 172 from Motornation. The sales man claimed at the time that I had a 2 year pan eu warranty. When no confirmation of this came through after 6 months I phoned up to find that the salesman had left and the car only has a 1 year warranty...!

Good old Renault though honoured the warranty in the 2nd year for a new seat frame...!

Get written confirmation in double, triplicate....
Old 03 November 2005, 11:29 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

The problem will arrise when your car dosen't show up on the UK dealer system, hence the need to reg. with IM.

It'll be the same for parts/spares that you might want to get.

My letter from Subaru (Liaco Ltd) clearly states that my car has a 3 year manufacturers warranty with cross border acceptance. No caveats at all

If Subaru say that then thats what it should mean

The letter from Subaru (Liaco Ltd) also clearly states that should the car require any warranty work at a Subaru Authorised Repairer, that it is very important that I ONLY hand over a photocopy of the Official (Subaru Malta) Sale Invoice.

Motorpoint tell me that they are sorting the problem with Subaru.

Motorpoint tell me that I need do nothing more i.e. no need to contact IM at all. If I need warranty work done I show copy of Original Sales Invoice and should there be a problem that they Motorpoint will intercede with the Dealer on my behalf.

Doesn't fill you with confidence though does it. I suppose it's a case of watch this space.
Old 03 November 2005, 11:33 AM
fenman
Scooby Regular

It's all very well Subaru Malta saying they will try to sort it out with IM but if they are breaking EU regs and are still continuing to sell via third parties that shouldn't be selling the cars it shows how little regard they have for you and me as end users......all they are interested in selling cars no matter what!
Old 03 November 2005, 11:34 AM
U4iK
Scooby Newbie

Ok guys just spoke to aftersales in Glasgow about the warranty situation.

My Impreza has came from Cyprus and shortly i will be receiving a sales invoice made out to myself from the Cyprus dealer along with my service and warranty books.

I was told i would then take this into a subaru dealer and get my details registered as if I imported the car myself.

My V5 shows me as the first registered keeper also.

This seems to be the only way round it at the moment but they are looking into the situation.
Old 03 November 2005, 11:40 AM
fenman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by U4iK
Ok guys just spoke to aftersales in Glasgow about the warranty situation.

My Impreza has came from Cyprus and shortly i will be receiving a sales invoice made out to myself from the Cyprus dealer along with my service and warranty books.

I was told i would then take this into a subaru dealer and get my details registered as if I imported the car myself.

My V5 shows me as the first registered keeper also.

This seems to be the only way round it at the moment but they are looking into the situation.
If that's a dummy invoice from Subaru Cyprus I wonder whether you'd be liable to pay customs and excise for the VAT if it hasn't been paid by Cyprus?

Glad it ain't me.
Old 03 November 2005, 11:44 AM
Krg WRX
Scooby Newbie

[QUOTE=jasonius]I'd get this confirmed in writing if I was you as in 18months time if you have a claim the poeple who have told you this have moved on and nobody wants to know..!

Had a similar thing when I bought a 172 from Motornation. The sales man claimed at the time that I had a 2 year pan eu warranty. When no confirmation of this came through after 6 months I phoned up to find that the salesman had left and the car only has a 1 year warranty...!

Good old Renault though honoured the warranty in the 2nd year for a new seat frame...!

Get written confirmation in double, triplicate....[/QUOTE

I have already got it in writing that it has a 3 year warranty, no matter what happens it will have to be honoured.

My previous car was a 172 bought from Motorhouse,it came with a 2 year warranty.But they did not know was that if you registered the car with Renault UK in the first year it would be extended to 3 years,I only found out by reading the Cliosport forums.

That why sites like this are so good because everyone can share their experiences and with such a serious matter like this its good to know that we are not alone.
Old 03 November 2005, 11:53 AM
comic cuts
Scooby Regular

Location: Holder of six fairy tokens, from the land of green ginger

I reckon Donniedarkio and Fenman have got this right about the invoices. If there are invoices floating about from both the seller and the country it came from then surely one of them is false. VAT man won't let that carry on - it must also be false accounting as well surely? Hope police don't turn up on owners' doorsteps, together with VATman and Robin!!!
Old 03 November 2005, 12:05 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by comic cuts
I reckon Donniedarkio and Fenman have got this right about the invoices. If there are invoices floating about from both the seller and the country it came from then surely one of them is false. VAT man won't let that carry on - it must also be false accounting as well surely? Hope police don't turn up on owners' doorsteps, together with VATman and Robin!!!
This is what i think is happening->

Liaco Sells car to Motorpoint/ their supplier (with correct invoice made out to them) Invoice is fine for VAT purposes.

Motorpoint sells the car to us, correct invoice made out to us. again fine for VAT purposes.

Subaru UK get pissed off, and bring about all teh problems.

In an effort to get round it, someone (either Motorpoint or Liaco or both) decide that the original invoice selling the car to Motorpoint, actually needs to have our details on it, hence someone tells a boy with a photocopier to go and make sure the original invoice says what they want it to say. hopefully they use the same font / size for the text they stick over the top LOL.

^^ Fraud, and not very good business practice.

Not very good for us lot
Old 03 November 2005, 12:13 PM
gubby
Scooby Regular

Not very good for us lot
Too true m8.

And at the end of it my car has number plates with Motorpoint of Derby written all over them.

What am I supposed to do? change them as well to keep up the subterfuge.

As I say a real dogs breakfast this.
Old 03 November 2005, 12:37 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Has anyone had any feedback from trading standards or subaru yet about this sorry mess?

Too true m8.

And at the end of it my car has number plates with Motorpoint of Derby written all over them.

What am I supposed to do? change them as well to keep up the subterfuge.

As I say a real dogs breakfast this.

Quick Reply: Warranty details arrive in post today!!