Rear newage strut brace

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2005, 01:57 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear newage strut brace

Does it eat up much boot space??

Can't get it if it does, as the wifey wanted a wagon, but i beat her into submission on the STi. She'll flip if she can't fit in her bags of shoes and clothes , plus the nippers buggy.
Old 02 November 2005, 02:00 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

the new age really doesn't need a rear strut brace- its stiff enough already. replace the arb and driplinks instead- and they won't eat in to the boot space
Old 02 November 2005, 02:03 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
the new age really doesn't need a rear strut brace- its stiff enough already. replace the arb and driplinks instead- and they won't eat in to the boot space
Ah, ok. Someone previously mentioned about the arbs etc, but at £400 i didn't want to do it.

I was only asking as front strut braces seem to be about 50, but then sets at 75. I'll just get the front then...

And, btw, wtf is arbs
Old 02 November 2005, 02:08 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

The whiteline ARB's are nowhere near £400! Speak to the guys at Scoobyclinic, I would think that for the adjustable whiteline rear arb and solid droplinks all round you should be talking £250ish? Not bought any lately, but they ain't that dear.
Old 02 November 2005, 02:10 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

arb = anti roll bar. don't bother with the front one though, you'll be fine with the stock one.
Old 02 November 2005, 02:11 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The Whiteline 22mm adjustable rear ARB should only be IRO £90+vat (that's what I paid at Scoobyclinic) and the links another £35+vat (steel - don't bother with alloy, they're no better and the steel won't rust much). As Simon (RRH) says, the newage chassis is so rigid you have to go a very long way modifying the suspension before bracing will give any benefit. If you get one, don't listen to everyone (including Scoobyclinic) who tells you to set it on the middle setting. Firmest is awesome. After I switched mine up to the firmest setting and told my mates how good it was, 3 of them have now tried it (5 min job to change) and all agree.
Old 02 November 2005, 02:34 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
The Whiteline 22mm adjustable rear ARB should only be IRO £90+vat (that's what I paid at Scoobyclinic) and the links another £35+vat (steel - don't bother with alloy, they're no better and the steel won't rust much). As Simon (RRH) says, the newage chassis is so rigid you have to go a very long way modifying the suspension before bracing will give any benefit. If you get one, don't listen to everyone (including Scoobyclinic) who tells you to set it on the middle setting. Firmest is awesome. After I switched mine up to the firmest setting and told my mates how good it was, 3 of them have now tried it (5 min job to change) and all agree.
Interesting regarding the 3rd hole, I put mine on the middle hole and have been toying with the idea of using the 3rd. Only thing that's stopped me so far is it being a bit too tail happy with winter fast approaching..!

A lot of this is to do with the popular mis-conception that the oem ARB is 20mm when infact mine was 22mm. Therefore using the hardest setting makes perfect sence..!
Old 02 November 2005, 02:40 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I thought the OE was 19mm. I found that the car was tail happy with the OE bar, and slightly happy with the Whiteline on the middle. On the stiffest setting it is completely planted and I struggle to deliberately provoke the tail out. I used to be able to do this easily. The understeer is greatly reduced too. Let's see what it's like tomorrow after fitting my AST's
Old 02 November 2005, 02:50 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
The whiteline ARB's are nowhere near £400! Speak to the guys at Scoobyclinic, I would think that for the adjustable whiteline rear arb and solid droplinks all round you should be talking £250ish? Not bought any lately, but they ain't that dear.
I only come up with the £400 mark for the arbs etc, when i was told to lOOk at:
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=467601

I think i'll just get the front strut brace for now and save the rest of my money for the other plans.

I'm hardly at the stage where corradoboy is, stepping his machine out left, right and centre. I think i need to find the right place and find out what this little beast really does. I'm just a big ***** though. Old age must be creeping in... (@ 31 )
Old 02 November 2005, 04:15 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Oi ! Mine only steps out when I want it to And that's got much harder since putting the ARB on the stiffest setting. I only have the ARB, links and a front strut brace over the OE spec, until tomorrow

Seriously, for under £150 fitted the rear ARB is one of the best starter mods there is. Not only will the tail be more controlled, but the awful understeer will be greatly reduced much improving turn-in and cornering speed.
Old 02 November 2005, 05:32 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

rear arb on middle setting on my sti 03 made back spot on,defo recommended also have front/rear sti strutbraces-better turn in with front but nil with rear and i can fit buggy and weeks shopping in
if i were you i would get rear arb and drop links
martin
Old 02 November 2005, 06:02 PM
Squadron-Leader
Scooby Regular

My local Subaru dealer (Gatwick) will do Whitline rear ARB and drop links fitted for roughly £200 on the newage cars. That's including any geo re-setting too.

After having the above on my classic... it's must for any age of Impreza IMHO.

J.
Old 02 November 2005, 06:50 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Hi Squadron-Leader. If Gatwick Group do the work then what's the deal with warranty issues? Does the price include the kit as well as fitting?

Cheers,

Ru'
Old 02 November 2005, 07:16 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
I thought the OE was 19mm. I found that the car was tail happy with the OE bar, and slightly happy with the Whiteline on the middle. On the stiffest setting it is completely planted and I struggle to deliberately provoke the tail out. I used to be able to do this easily. The understeer is greatly reduced too. Let's see what it's like tomorrow after fitting my AST's
My 05 was 22mm (well that's what it measured with my dial calipers..!).

What I don't understand is how come your car was more tail happy with oem (thinner) ARB yet less so with a stiffer bar..?

Am I missing something..?

Back the the original post, the thread you were told to look at includes fitting an anti lift kit as well as ARB & DL's, hence the £400 price tag..!

Believe me the uprated rear ARB and DL's is DEFINATELY the way to go. Welcome to 4 wheel Drift City..!
Old 02 November 2005, 08:14 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
What I don't understand is how come your car was more tail happy with oem (thinner) ARB yet less so with a stiffer bar..?
I must admit, I was surprised by this. Went out after switching it to the stiff setting and gave it some from standstill out of a junction into a right turn where the car has always broken loose, wet or dry, and nothing. It just dug in and launched in full control This is how it has been ever since. Every time I try to push it out it takes loads more effort than on the medium setting or with the OE bar, and yet body roll and control is much, much better. Even on the couple of steep hairpins over Strines Moor, where I have always drifted around on rear wheel steer, it is now harder to provoke into this. As you, I presumed that with less roll and more stiffness that the tyres would lose lateral grip sooner but it seems to have had quite the opposite effect, maybe due to the greatly reduced body roll transfering less weight and affording more even grip levels to all the tyres (theory).
Old 02 November 2005, 08:58 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

I'll have to give it a try, although it does behave well at the moment you can't beat a bit of an experimenting..!

BTW have you also got a spring kit fitted, I can't remember if you have..?

J
Old 02 November 2005, 09:01 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Just checked your spec. in FS and no you haven't.

Did the GR braided hoses make much difference..?
Old 03 November 2005, 07:21 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I don't get brake fade on track or more crucially in places like Hardknott/Wrynose Pass' in the Lakes. There is also less of the ABS confusion when going over bumps and the pedal goes all wierd. Inexpensive to do so worth it IMO
Old 03 November 2005, 11:18 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

cheers m8
Old 03 November 2005, 11:50 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies and info guys. I think i'll get a front strut, whiteline arbs and droplings then. Seems the way forward. Damn, gonna have to get a lottery ticket today...
Old 03 November 2005, 04:18 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
BTW have you also got a spring kit fitted, I can't remember if you have..?)
Didn't until today Just fitted AST's Only had time for a quick run out to check for clunks and bangs but so far seems superb. Ride quality is as good if not better and turn in seems very sharp. Just got to get used to having 12 settings front and rear and find the configuration that suits me