Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone owned both a P1 and a Type R ???

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2005, 09:47 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone owned both a P1 and a Type R ???

Looking for opinions ONLY from those that have been lucky enough to own both of these cars at some time. How do they compare, pro's and cons of each and which do you think overall is better for daily driving/ track-driving.

Cheers

Terry
Old 29 October 2005, 11:32 PM
ben44
Scooby Regular

Terry, speak to Iwan. He's had both. (Think he's got the R at the min)

Is the P1 a gonna then?
Old 29 October 2005, 11:41 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

P1 is better for day to day driving, Type R is better for track and enthusiastic road work due to the different gearing and LSD/DCCD diffs.
Old 30 October 2005, 12:20 AM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ben44
Terry, speak to Iwan. He's had both. (Think he's got the R at the min)

Is the P1 a gonna then?

Just exploring all options at the mo - I don't know the answer to that one yet
Old 30 October 2005, 12:29 AM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan
P1 is better for day to day driving, Type R is better for track and enthusiastic road work due to the different gearing and LSD/DCCD diffs.

Iwan

Thanks for your response. I've had a P1 for 2 years and in that time have done quite a lot - it's a 20k mile a year daily driver, trackday tool, inc Nurburgring and even competed in a hillclimb too. I plan on doing more of the same next year - and I mean more

Does the DCCD (in the right setting) actually make the car quicker around a track or on the road??

I don't mind a harder ride for daily use.

There are some very nice version VI Type Rs around at the moment - gotta be sonic blue with gold Prodrive alloys though

Cheers

Terry
Old 30 October 2005, 06:19 AM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

Hi mate ive had a type r v5 and borrowed my friends p1 for the day about 2 weeks since.The p1 is skoda in comparrison , even my friend says so and he owns the p1.

The one i borrowed was totally standard and the first thing i noticed was that the brakes were totally rubbish and the second thing i noticed was that the gear box was not half as good as the close ratio jobee in the type r.

An sti type r V5-V6 is a better car than a p1 hands down end of, if i was you i would get the p1 idea straight out of my head.
Old 30 October 2005, 07:49 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Brakes are the same on both the P1 and Type R!
Old 30 October 2005, 08:45 AM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Brakes are the same on both the P1 and Type R!

The brakes are different on my v5 sti type ra,to a mates p1..as the p1 doesnt have twin pot rears iirc.Sure the type r has the same setup as the ra.
Old 30 October 2005, 08:54 AM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rooferman
The brakes are different on my v5 sti type ra,to a mates p1..as the p1 doesnt have twin pot rears iirc.Sure the type r has the same setup as the ra.
Your right mate the Type-R does have the twin pot rears, unlike the P1! This is to make up for the lack of ABS which the P1 has but isn't on the Type-R because of the DCCD.
Old 30 October 2005, 09:55 AM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marcymarc555
Hi mate ive had a type r v5 and borrowed my friends p1 for the day about 2 weeks since.The p1 is skoda in comparrison , even my friend says so and he owns the p1.

The one i borrowed was totally standard and the first thing i noticed was that the brakes were totally rubbish and the second thing i noticed was that the gear box was not half as good as the close ratio jobee in the type r.

An sti type r V5-V6 is a better car than a p1 hands down end of, if i was you i would get the p1 idea straight out of my head.
Cheers Marc

I appreciate what your saying and in comparison to a standard P1 then I could imagine a Type R is somewhat better. My P1 is running 300/300 and has uprated Prodrive 330m brakes, so mine would be a great improvement over a standard P1 - I know this as I test drove standard before getting mine,

There are certain things that interest me in the Type R, and that is the gearing and the quick-rack steering rack. I will have to drive one to be able to fully appreciate them.

One thing though - I can't believe that the suspension would be a great improvement if indeed any over a P1. After driving 2500 miles in 6 days through the Swiss Alps and back via the Nurburgring, I can't fault the P1's standard suspension. Having said that though I quite fancy an adjustable set-up in future - maybe AST's as in the Type 25's - then you can have the best for all occasions.

Cheers

Terry
Old 30 October 2005, 10:47 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Terry the main differences driving a Type R day to day, is that it'll be a little rattlier with the slightly harder suspension (not much though), and for any given speed on the motorway you'll be doing higher RPM than in a P1. It's not massive differences to be fair though.

Regarding the handling, the diffs do make a noticable difference - especially playing with the DCCD. I often use mine when I'm out for a hoon about, or if the roads are very wet/icy. I've heard the handling has caught a lot of people out but to be honest mine doesn't feel any more edgy than the P1.

The main issues are they are harder and more expensive to insure since they aren't a UK model, a lot of UK dealers won't do work for you for the same reason.

I was planning to sell mine a while back, but have changed my mind and decided to keep it now - bad luck!

Is T5NYW still selling his?
Old 30 October 2005, 10:49 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Oh, and a P1 definately isn't a "a Skoda in comparison" - yes there are differences but they really aren't that big. Maybe the guy who made the comment above just drove a bad P1.
Old 30 October 2005, 12:20 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan
Oh, and a P1 definately isn't a "a Skoda in comparison" - yes there are differences but they really aren't that big. Maybe the guy who made the comment above just drove a bad P1.
Iwan

Yes, I too would agree with that statement - I don't think there is a car on the planet that could make a P1 feel like a skoda in comparison - it's all relative of course.

There is a nice VI Type R in sonic blue with Prodive 18's in gold (best combination IMHO) and a V Type RA with good mods (again in sonic blue) for sale currently. Need to drive one really to make up my own mind.

Cheers

Terry
Old 30 October 2005, 12:42 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Yeh - Tony's is a LOVELY example (V5)

Great car - last thing I knew, it was still for sale

Dan
Old 30 October 2005, 01:00 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Well if you can get up to Swindon then you're welcome to have a spin in mine*, PM here or on P1WOC if you're interested.

* Any damage and you buy it.
Old 30 October 2005, 02:53 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Hi Had the P1 and now the Impreza WRX STi 5 Type R WRC Limited.

The P1 was a nice car but I only kept it for 5 months. Bit more power than the STD uk cars but I come from a MY98 with more power than the P1 so did not notice it. The P1 I thought was a nice everyday drive but as it had a warrentee I did not want to mod it to much, so just an exhaust and a few other odds and ends. Did get a bit worried when watching local dealer renewing the engines so often though. So sold it while it still had a value.

The Type R.
Bought this to get back in the scooby fold. Looked the best classic about at the time. Bit faster than the P1 but thats down to the gearing which I did not really like. 155 at 8000 was a little high for me as when motorway driving the thing was revving the nuts of all the time. I dive quite fast on clear motorways. The DCCD was just a pain in the butt. Leave it in rear bias and a bit of rain and the rear end would slide so easily. Cog the thing up a bit and all was well and grip restored but when parking if you forget to go back to rear bias the shafts would grind and make a terible noise.
All that high reving took its toll and the engine let go, usuall No3 big end. I had a 2.5 engine fitted and at the same time got rid of the DCCD and had a 6 speed.
Had the car a 12 month so its time to sale her now.