Urgent Help Required for CEL Fix & ECU Reset

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2005, 03:24 PM
Nixon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent Help Required for CEL Fix & ECU Reset

Afternoon All,

Got round to fitting the CEL fix to my WRC330 STi 8 today. This should have been done at the time of conversion but WRC had thought to overcome the problem with the map.

Now that it's fitted it sounds like the exhaust is blowing and there is a loud ticking sound reverberating through the exhaust. Between 1500 and 2000 revs there is a bad hesitation and it just don't feel right.

To set it all off the CEL light hasn't gone out, yet. With having the battery disconected it shall have reset the ECU, it's my guess this is part of the problem... do I put up and drive it for 50 or so miles??

Thanks in advance,

Nixon
Old 29 October 2005, 07:49 PM
Nixon
Scooby Regular

Nope, no luck.... driven it home 30 miles and still as bad. Me thinking it's gone back to the base map now.

Where do I find these two wires under the dash to do a full ECU reset... my last option before going away upto Silverstone!
Old 30 October 2005, 12:29 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Lightbulb

Nixon,
I'm not certain but i don't think they do the wires under the steering columm for Reset ECU in the newage cars. you will need to
A) switch the Ign on and off 3 times and sometimes will clear.
b) Get a Pi3 check code an use that to reset it
C) A subaru or Ecutek dealer has the Facility

I'm not certain if this senario is simaular to your own A Mate just had his Remapped the day after and on his way to a Trackday when it started missing and had no boost, no Power.

Apparently it is possible to have 2 maps heald in the ECU, they normally only program Map1. He was going down the Road and put his Foot hard to the floor at the same time Switched his Heated rear screen(or something like that). This apparantly was how you could "Toggle" between Map1 & Map2. Map1 being @300bhp etc etc and went the the unmapped Map2 @ 70bhp.

IIRC AFAICR etc etc.

Hope this may help.

Tony

Last edited by T5NYW; 30 October 2005 at 12:32 AM.
Old 30 October 2005, 09:48 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was this a CEL fix for the decat in the centre section?
What of fix was it?
If its a spacer for the O2 sensor then sounds like it has come undone.

And no, you can't reset a newage car ECU as the classic could.

Nick
Old 30 October 2005, 12:16 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob Rawle mapped out CEL P0420 (missing cat) quite easilly using EcuTeK and that's the route I'd try via WRC again. The CEL fix I had from Scoobysport wasn't always 100% successful and mine always gave occasional CEL's until I had it remapped out via Bob.

This CEL doesn't affect the car's performance and I'd ditch the CEL fix until the ECU has had this CEL mapped out.

The only way to get rid of this particular CEL is to have it re-set via a select monitor or via SECS if you have one. Disconnecting the battery wipes out any learning in the ECU and also means you have to re-set the change up light on the rev counter.

Some CEL's (camshaft circuit malfunction for example) dissapear after a number of restarts.

I have only one map on my ECU and the map switching has not been enabled, WRC should be able to tell you what they have done in that respect.

Have you had the EGT sensor removed from the up-pipe ?? this will give a CEL that can't be mapped out and the CEL fix is a home made jobby (search should find it)

Hope this helps

Shaun
Old 30 October 2005, 04:34 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Midlife......

I have only one map on my ECU and the map switching has not been enabled, WRC should be able to tell you what they have done in that respect.
Shaun,
Yes my Mate hadn't had it disabled and the accidently did the combination which switched between the "Good" map and a second "Base" map.
As you say really need to know the Fault codes and need a select Monitor or a Psi3 are the only way I know to show them up. His best bet is to get someone nearby with a classic and a Psi3 fitted, then plug it in to his look up fault codes and let WRC know

Tony
Old 30 October 2005, 07:33 PM
Nixon
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the help guys... wish this had been sorted before handing over my cash, seams a bit much to now make a 400 mile round trip to have it put right.

Thought this eventuality would have been well sorted by now!

Wait and see what their advice is in the morning
Old 30 October 2005, 11:01 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nixon

I arrived at Bob Rawle's with the CEL light on..........having had the De-cat, TD05 turbo etc carried out here in Carlisle !!

Bob just said that it would be the last time I'd see the CEL and that was the end of the matter..........

Maybe a mapper can shed some light on this .........

Shaun
Old 02 November 2005, 04:42 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Nixon
Thanks for the help guys...
Hope your all sorted now

Tony
Old 02 November 2005, 05:28 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

does not seem very good by wrc,they should have been able to offer advice quickly as i would not fancy driving car with cel on,i take it you drove off boost as there is i presume chance of engine damage if full boost used with cel on and a knocking exhaust,i would have driven down and said sort it as you have paid for it
martin