Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beware! All of you with aftermarket alloys...

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2005, 04:10 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Beware! All of you with aftermarket alloys...

or other 'mods'.....who have not yet informed your insurance companies......Not that you should, unless of course they are significantly more expensive than your car's original alloys, well, that's what I believe anyway.

I fitted my new alloys on Saturday afternoon around 3pm, and at 3.48pm I was involved in a collision where a car pulled out of a side street, totally oblivious to my car! After all the formalities, I drove my car to the Insurance approved repair garage this morning. When the examiner looked at it, the first thing he said to me was 'do your insurers know about those wheels, because if they don't, they can be very funny'. I told him that my new wheels were in fact a lot cheaper than the standard Subaru wheels, so if they did need replacing under an insurance claim one day, then NO ADDITIONAL COST would be incurred by the insurance company. I called my insurers when I got home and told them, and there reply was don't worry sir, we will just update your policy.........that will be an additional premium of £151 please, yes, £151 for CHEAPER alloy wheels. Where is the logic in that? If that is not 'legal theft' from me, then I don't know what is.
Old 24 October 2005, 04:25 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

who are you with?

Elephant wanted an extra £700 (ie around double) if i have PPP fitted, so i will be going to A Plan probably when i next reinsure so i can think about PPP again!
Old 24 October 2005, 04:28 PM
magicdudey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DonnieDarko
who are you with?

Elephant wanted an extra £700 (ie around double) if i have PPP fitted, so i will be going to A Plan probably when i next reinsure so i can think about PPP again!
I recently went to A-Plan, David Willis is the MAN to ask for, say the MAGICIAN says HI.
I got my new wrx 300 insured, I called him asap with window tints, sti prodrive spolier and there was NO additional charge. GREAT GREAT GREAT company.
Old 24 October 2005, 04:52 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

if they attract attention to your car beyond that which the standard alloys albeit more expensive would, then they represent a bigger threat to the insurance company as far as theft claims are concerned.
Old 24 October 2005, 05:04 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple rule: tell them EVERYTHING. If they don't care they will tell you, but if you don't tell them you are almost certainly in breach of contract, so technically not insured.

M
Old 24 October 2005, 06:42 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Most policies state that if your car has been modified from the manufacturers standard they must be informed. If this is the case you are potentially not insured.

Those who can read have a competitive advantage as my MD says
Old 24 October 2005, 06:47 PM
mmmiddy
Scooby Regular

You're lucky they didn't say your policy was null and void!

I'm sure there are plenty of insurers who would have tried this, instead of allowing you to back date your policy.

Good luck anyway.

How bad is the damage?

Trending Topics

Old 24 October 2005, 06:49 PM
Listy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GREGGYG
or other 'mods'.....who have not yet informed your insurance companies......Not that you should, unless of course they are significantly more expensive than your car's original alloys, well, that's what I believe anyway.

I fitted my new alloys on Saturday afternoon around 3pm, and at 3.48pm I was involved in a collision where a car pulled out of a side street, totally oblivious to my car! After all the formalities, I drove my car to the Insurance approved repair garage this morning. When the examiner looked at it, the first thing he said to me was 'do your insurers know about those wheels, because if they don't, they can be very funny'. I told him that my new wheels were in fact a lot cheaper than the standard Subaru wheels, so if they did need replacing under an insurance claim one day, then NO ADDITIONAL COST would be incurred by the insurance company. I called my insurers when I got home and told them, and there reply was don't worry sir, we will just update your policy.........that will be an additional premium of £151 please, yes, £151 for CHEAPER alloy wheels. Where is the logic in that? If that is not 'legal theft' from me, then I don't know what is.
Mate I reckon you had a result there with them letting you adjust the policy after the event.....

Many an insurance company would have fought you on that trying to void your policy.

£151.00 well spent i reckon, as much as it sticks in your throat
Old 24 October 2005, 07:00 PM
dibbleyuk
Scooby Regular

i told them bout everything all my decals lowered etc etc and didnt up my policy at all i was well happy im with CIS there really good
Old 24 October 2005, 08:05 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Angry

prepare to **** your selves...

i want to change the alloys on my smog hack!!

i wanted to change from 15" 9 spoke oe rims to 15" 5 spoke oe rims

guess what... my current insurer classes it as a mod!!!! and wont cover me..

but i can go to another insurer for an additional £28 providing i stump up £64 and loose 6 months ncb

how can they justify changing from an oe rim to another oe rim is a mod??

i could understand it if i was going from 15" to 18" lowprofile etc, but i,m going from one oe customer choice standard off the prodline rim to another..

taking the **** or what

mart
Old 24 October 2005, 09:06 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

The thing to do with elephant is to go online use a different name , but same address with all other details correct including modifications. Then if you get a cheaper quote online, you can say well if you look at policy quote no. Blah. with all my details the same apart from name you can see that the quote is smaller. I managed to save my self 300 quid this way. The lady on the end of the phone wasn`t happy, but thats what you get if your trying to offer substancially differant quotes for new customers and existing customers. I would be tempted to do that with all online based insurance companies.

jase
Old 24 October 2005, 09:53 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Barmyclown
The thing to do with elephant is to go online use a different name , but same address with all other details correct including modifications. Then if you get a cheaper quote online, you can say well if you look at policy quote no. Blah. with all my details the same apart from name you can see that the quote is smaller. I managed to save my self 300 quid this way. The lady on the end of the phone wasn`t happy, but thats what you get if your trying to offer substancially differant quotes for new customers and existing customers. I would be tempted to do that with all online based insurance companies.

jase
Have to do this every frigging year with Admiral and Elephant. Its become a game with them. Best row so far is when I moved my car from the garage to the driveway they upped the premium and when I called backed 3 months later to inform them I was putting it back in the garage they said there was no discount for it going in a garage. After a few discussions with various managers I asked for it in writing so I could take the issue further, they refused to send a letter. Call them back informed them they were on a recorded line and hey presto my garage discount was authorised.

Play around with the online system and you get different quotes on different days and the quotes are valid for a month.
Old 24 October 2005, 09:56 PM
DEC14N
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem when i changed my alloys 18mths ago elephant wanted some stupid amount which at the time i coughed up as i didnt want to have no insurance.
have used other insures since but none have compared to the quote i recieved from an insurance company on SIDC. As a member of there too i could get a quote with a discount and saved myself over £250 and all my mods are covered, excess is lower, protected no claims, additional driver and business class one on 30k miles a year. in fact the cover is by far better than the company i was with, well happy.