Potential Scooby owner…

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2005, 09:02 AM
Dave_68
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential Scooby owner…

Hi Guys, first post

Due to the immanent arrival of a new edition to the family I am considering a Scooby to replace my S1 Elise & the wife’s Saxo VTR. Saxo’s not really big enough & 4 doors would be helpful & I don’t use the Elise that much (1400 miles this year) so thinking practicality for the wife for shopping, family wagon when we all go out, and also something I can take out on my own to have fun in. I also have a work van which so will still have a car each…

Have quite a few questions, if anyone can offer any assistance it would be most helpful.

Test driven an 02 WRX (mates) and a 55 WRX dealer demonstrator, thought they were great but probably more interested in a PPP WRX or STi. How much difference is there from the WRX to a WRX PPP & STi? Not driven either (yet).

My local dealer (Motorsales Harlow) has a WRX 300 in the showroom which looks great, what’s the difference to a standard WRX? Is it just trim levels? Is it worth the premium?

Anyone recently bought one from a dealer & managed a decent discount? With the MY06 cars out soon will this help when trying to buy an 05 model (clearing stock etc)?

I have fired some of these questions at my dealer & although very helpful they admit it’s a fairly new dealership & they weren’t completely clued up of everything as yet, hence me asking here…

Thanks for any help

Dave
Old 24 October 2005, 01:46 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Dave_68
Hi Guys, first post

Due to the immanent arrival of a new edition to the family I am considering a Scooby to replace my S1 Elise & the wife’s Saxo VTR. Saxo’s not really big enough & 4 doors would be helpful & I don’t use the Elise that much (1400 miles this year) so thinking practicality for the wife for shopping, family wagon when we all go out, and also something I can take out on my own to have fun in. I also have a work van which so will still have a car each…

Have quite a few questions, if anyone can offer any assistance it would be most helpful.

Test driven an 02 WRX (mates) and a 55 WRX dealer demonstrator, thought they were great but probably more interested in a PPP WRX or STi. How much difference is there from the WRX to a WRX PPP & STi? Not driven either (yet).

My local dealer (Motorsales Harlow) has a WRX 300 in the showroom which looks great, what’s the difference to a standard WRX? Is it just trim levels? Is it worth the premium?

Anyone recently bought one from a dealer & managed a decent discount? With the MY06 cars out soon will this help when trying to buy an 05 model (clearing stock etc)?

I have fired some of these questions at my dealer & although very helpful they admit it’s a fairly new dealership & they weren’t completely clued up of everything as yet, hence me asking here…

Thanks for any help

Dave
Hi and welcome to SN

There is a big difference from WRX to WRX PPP and an even bigger one from WRX PPP to STi. It's not just performance related either. In terms of figures the WRX PPP is demonstrably quicker and more flexible than the already pretty damn quick WRX. The Standard Sti, despite having a similar power output to the WRX PPP, feels a very different car: harder, more focused, less compromising (read comfortable and quiet) but more exciting. The power delivery is significantly different to the WRX too. You get the whole "wait for it....Waooooooooaaaaaa" Turbo rush. Subjectively it feels significantly quicker. The Sti PPP is demonstrably faster than the std Sti, but retains the Sti's more focused character.

If you want an all rounder and need something reasonably comfortable, quiet and refined for the family then I'd recommend a WRX if you want a bit of extra grunt and want to keep a warranty then get one with PPP. If excitment is more important to you than the other attributes mentioned then it has to be the STi (with PPP if you really want to scare the wife and kids).

I'd suggest you test drive them all and see which one you prefer!

The UK 300 means cosmetic changes only unless its equipped with the PPP which means its a WRX PPP with the extra bits. Not worth paying a big premium for IMHO, but nice if you get it for a good price.

You should be able to get a discount on the 05 model, some dealers are also offering 3 years free servicing or free PPP (worth at least Ł1600) when you buy a new model, that'd certainly be worth it!

Do be aware of the running costs of these cars though, especially the insurance and the fact that if you get a PPP car, you'll need to run it on SUL. They always seem cheap for the performance, but its keeping them running that costs!
Old 24 October 2005, 01:56 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

The Sti also comes with Brembo brakes, a bigger spoiler and scoop, Sti seats, Sti Dials, Gold wheels, and no tw@t(fog) lights.

Someone else will probably confirm whether DCCD is Sti only.

You may also like to know the 3 wheel pram/buggies don't fit unless you remove the front wheel. Bit of a pita everytime you put it away, especially if it is raining.
Old 24 October 2005, 02:15 PM
mikepaul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
The Sti also comes with Brembo brakes, a bigger spoiler and scoop, Sti seats, Sti Dials, Gold wheels, and no tw@t(fog) lights.

Someone else will probably confirm whether DCCD is Sti only.

You may also like to know the 3 wheel pram/buggies don't fit unless you remove the front wheel. Bit of a pita everytime you put it away, especially if it is raining.
Out of Interest, would a WRX PPP be slighty quicker than a standard STi (or the same due to lower gearing of the STi)?

The WRX PPP is 75Kg lighter and has sliighly more torque.

Both are great cars.
Old 24 October 2005, 02:34 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by mikepaul
Out of Interest, would a WRX PPP be slighty quicker than a standard STi (or the same due to lower gearing of the STi)?

The WRX PPP is 75Kg lighter and has sliighly more torque.

Both are great cars.
Its quoted 0-60 time is better at 4.8 seconds. Not sure about the other performance benchmarks though. Prodrive's Website will no doubt tell you!

NS04
Old 24 October 2005, 02:44 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

i have a 55 wrx wagon. will probably get PPP next time i reinsure (at the moment it would double my insurance from Ł700-800 ish to Ł1500!

the hatchback + ability to fold the rear seats (60:40 split) is the reason i went for it over the saloon.

apart from fuel usage (about 16p a mile) and higher than average costs i love it!

my 60-70 mile round trip to work means that a a golf/ Leon TDi etc would have been a much more sensible buy, but this is a much more fun way to waste my money!

if its a family car your after and you have the cash go for the wrx wagon, and get PPP too/ or later.

apparently PPP makes the car more driveable (boosts at lower revs, so reducing the turbo lag you get up to 2800 revs)

also i hear fuel consumption is the same (or better!)
Old 24 October 2005, 04:44 PM
Dave_68
Scooby Regular

Excellent stuff guys, many thanks for the responses.

If it were my car only (like at the mo, missus with Saxo me with the Elise) then it would be the Sti but as she's gonna be driving it more than me (her for shopping etc me for ragging it) then I think the WRX PPP will be fine. Dealer is evidentally getting a WRX PPP demo next week so can compare against standard, may then try the Sti....

Just got back from another dealer (Lotus & Subaru) & they had a Sti WR1, OMG how cool is that

Thanks again guys
Old 24 October 2005, 06:51 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

I think it is the wife that needs the test drive as it will be her doing most of the normal driving.

P.S do not go in the STi, you will want it no matter what the other half says, LOL.

Good luck,great cars whatever you choose.

Mac