Sponsored by:

Gonna get a scooby!!

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2005, 02:37 PM
Slyme
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Gonna get a scooby!!

Hi guys and gals, for the last few years I've owned both an MR2 Turbo and currently an FTO GPX, both of which are beautiful cars!! but the time has come to realise the dream and get the impreza!!!

Always liked them but always had the g'friend spending my money!! So gonna buy a present for myself. Found a mint V-reg MY00 UK turbo in silver for sale at a subaru dealer. After chatting for a while they have offered to put the STi V5 spoiler on for me for £300. Hopefully soon be able to place a deposit and go and get her.

Really excited!! Just wanted your thoughts on the MY00 Impreza and any advice you have for a (soon to be) new owner.

Cheers.
Old 15 October 2005, 02:46 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi and welcome

The MY 99 and 00 where my favorite UK std scoobs looks wise, nice wheels and the 00 has the colour coded bits.

IMHO The ecu in the 00 is not as 'good' as the 99 and can be made better with a tec 1 (i think) remap or whatever they do to it.

I had an MY (Model/Year) 99 and loved it.

Enjoy your new ride and SN.
Old 15 October 2005, 02:49 PM
Slyme
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice I'll look into it.

Was considering an RB5, but didn't think the £1000 over the standard UK wasn't worth it.
Old 15 October 2005, 02:56 PM
tonner_notts
Scooby Regular

im after a fto slyme, take a look at my wrx in the for sales, and maybe we could sort a deal, better price for yours decent price for mine were all happy,
Old 15 October 2005, 03:06 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Slyme
Cheers for the advice I'll look into it.

Was considering an RB5, but didn't think the £1000 over the standard UK wasn't worth it.
You may get that back when you go to sell it though, I would think an RB5 will probably retain its value slightly better than a standard UK? Something worth considering.

Plus you don't see that many of them about.
Old 15 October 2005, 03:16 PM
phelpsa
Scooby Regular

And the RB5 comes with the STi V5 style spoiler anyway
Old 15 October 2005, 03:16 PM
Slyme
Scooby Regular

true, just the mileage is higher by 10K. If it was a WR sport version wouldn't hesitate.
Old 15 October 2005, 03:27 PM
Slyme
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phelpsa
And the RB5 comes with the STi V5 style spoiler anyway
RB5 doesn't come with the STI V5 spoiler. It comes with the prodrive spec on the WR Sport model, otherwise it's the same as the UK spec classic MY99.

Beautiful colour though, and the wheels really set it off.
Old 15 October 2005, 04:47 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

My first Impreza was a shiny new MY00 which was my dream as well, mine was pretty much standard apart from wheels and back box, enjoy your car.

Allan
Old 15 October 2005, 05:39 PM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

Dont get a uk impreza they r skoda, if uve had a mr2 tt i think ull need a bit more than a uk classic to float your boat.

I had my uk classic about 7 months then got rid cus i was disopointed , taking into acount i had a fiesta zetec s prior to the classic i would of prefered the zetec s any day of the week.
Old 15 October 2005, 05:54 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Hope you enjoy the car mate. You will find it as fast as the MR2 (with a few mods if it was a rev3+ turbo) but so much easier to drive fast.

If I was buying a impreza I would be getting a '00 one too.
Old 15 October 2005, 05:56 PM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

I have had a UK MY00 Scoob for about 8 months and I love it - They are an awesome car.

A Fiesta zetec s better - my ar*e - Just my opinion of course. I had a clio cup which was a cracking car but there is something about the scoob.

The only thing that winds me up is the fuel gauge and running costs.
Old 15 October 2005, 06:19 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by marcymarc555
Dont get a uk impreza they r skoda, if uve had a mr2 tt i think ull need a bit more than a uk classic to float your boat.

I had my uk classic about 7 months then got rid cus i was disopointed , taking into acount i had a fiesta zetec s prior to the classic i would of prefered the zetec s any day of the week.
Stop it, you're killing me!

NS04
Old 15 October 2005, 08:24 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Stop it, you're killing me!

NS04
ha, well yeh man i would half agree with him, i wudnt buy a uk turbo, ul be fed up of it the second a friend brings u for a spin in his STi, i would look at a nice clean 1997 standard white sti and then see what u think of the two??
Old 15 October 2005, 08:35 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

I owned a modded Zetec S and although I enjoyed it, quite frankly the UK Car in standard trim is a different league.
Old 15 October 2005, 09:49 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

get a life.!!....
Old 15 October 2005, 09:53 PM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

Sorry , i wasnt trying to say the zetec-s was faster by no means, just saying that thats what i came from before the uk scoob and it didnt live up to my dreams, real fun car that zetec of mine,cheap n quick, then i got the uk spec impreza it was expensive in every way and i wasnt getting any more of a fix than the zetec so i was disopointed thats why i got a type r v5 7 months later , cus i thought f uc k this i want the full scooby factor, not a poxy uk spec that is a shadow of a real impreza.

There is one way to own a scoob and that is JDM anything else is skoda , and that is final.

Last edited by marcymarc555; 16 October 2005 at 11:16 PM.
Old 15 October 2005, 09:56 PM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

Its alright you uk spec boys talking the talk but to the jdm lads u r muppets expecially when i have had loads of scoobs and my views r tried and tested.
Old 15 October 2005, 10:19 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Cool

Well i had Sti ~ 260 ps ( on 101 ron mind.......)......clearly the genuine article, but in the real world 215 bhp and a few susp./ brake mods on a uk is actually i suspect a better bet....
Old 15 October 2005, 10:21 PM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
but in the real world 215 bhp and a few susp./ brake mods on a uk is actually i suspect a better bet....
For who?
Old 15 October 2005, 10:24 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

well lets jus say thats what id go for if ever i was to return.....
Old 15 October 2005, 10:31 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

probably....

Either that or a type r..............
Old 15 October 2005, 10:36 PM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
probably....

Either that or a type r..............
LOL , good man, thats the spirit
Old 16 October 2005, 12:38 PM
New_scooby_04

Its alright you uk spec boys talking the talk but to the jdm lads u r muppets expecially when i have had loads of scoobs and my views r tried and tested.
So, anyone who owns a UK car is a muppet eh? I've heard some complete bollox on here, but that about takes the biscuit!

BTW, I've driven:

A Classic Sti V RA
A Classic UK turbo 2000
A New age WRX
A New age Sti
A New age Sti PPP
Oh, and an Evo 6 GSR

The jdm cars were faster in terms of outright speed and acceleration, rawer and more exciting, no doubt. The UK Turbo and the WRX were the best everyday performance cars, no doubt.

Something to think about: My mate (with the Evo 6) and me (with my Turbo 2000) swapped cars for a blast down a fav county road. WE both agreed that we'd both be quicker in mine, despite the evo having a demonstrable outright acceleration and grip advantage, simply because the JDM Evo's suspension -set up for smooth tarmac- simply didn't like poorly surfaced roads and threatened to bounce you off the road.

NS04
Old 16 October 2005, 12:52 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

There is one way to own a scoob and that is JDM anything else is skoda , and that is final.
Anything else is skoda? eh? By that you mean anything else it better I presume?

Or are you a bit behind the times and still think of funny little rusty rear engined cars from the 80's when you think of skoda's?...
Old 16 October 2005, 01:43 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
So, anyone who owns a UK car is a muppet eh? I've heard some complete bollox on here, but that about takes the biscuit!

BTW, I've driven:

A Classic Sti V RA
A Classic UK turbo 2000
A New age WRX
A New age Sti
A New age Sti PPP
Oh, and an Evo 6 GSR

The jdm cars were faster in terms of outright speed and acceleration, rawer and more exciting, no doubt. The UK Turbo and the WRX were the best everyday performance cars, no doubt.

Something to think about: My mate (with the Evo 6) and me (with my Turbo 2000) swapped cars for a blast down a fav county road. WE both agreed that we'd both be quicker in mine, despite the evo having a demonstrable outright acceleration and grip advantage, simply because the JDM Evo's suspension -set up for smooth tarmac- simply didn't like poorly surfaced roads and threatened to bounce you off the road.

NS04
Agreed. I've owned a UK car with a mild power hike and standard chassis and currently own an RA which has very little left on the car that's standard. In the RA I can post 1.23s at Castle Coombe, however, when I go out for skirmishes across Dartmoor with the local Scoob boys I come unstuck (almost literally) on badly surfaced twisties and find myself wishing I was sat behind the wheel of my old UK car.

I know what MarcyMarc is saying about the comparison between the Fiesta and the standard UK scoob - the difference in performance isn't sensational and buzz-worthy, particularly when up and running as the Fiesta can carry so much speed through the corners. However, it's all those other factors that set the cars miles apart - mid-range overtaking ability, power out of corners, the cars behaviour on the edge etc etc.

Cars are about compromise - Ideally I'd have the Fiesta for around town, UK Scoob for everything else and the RA for the track.
Old 16 October 2005, 04:48 PM
Slyme
Scooby Regular

Cheers for your views guys.

My mate used to own a Fiesta Zetec S, brilliant little car, but it did lack the excitment factor when you drove it. Maybe the lack of torque. Thing that really let it down was having to change into 3rd gear at 58mph. They should have lengthened the ratios just a touch more.

I know what you mean about JDM, especially after the MR2 Turbo (toyota would have made a killing if they'd sold it in this country!!!) But I want to get away from the imports, I know the specs are higher in the JDM models and they are quicker, but the insurance is ridiculous!!! The insurance for the uk MY00 scoob is going to be half what I currently pay on my m-reg FTO GPX!!
PS knew a guy who threw a ferrari lump into the back of a Skoda once, that was an awesome car!!
Old 16 October 2005, 05:32 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Slyme
Cheers for your views guys.

My mate used to own a Fiesta Zetec S, brilliant little car, but it did lack the excitment factor when you drove it. Maybe the lack of torque. Thing that really let it down was having to change into 3rd gear at 58mph. They should have lengthened the ratios just a touch more.

I know what you mean about JDM, especially after the MR2 Turbo (toyota would have made a killing if they'd sold it in this country!!!) But I want to get away from the imports, I know the specs are higher in the JDM models and they are quicker, but the insurance is ridiculous!!! The insurance for the uk MY00 scoob is going to be half what I currently pay on my m-reg FTO GPX!!
PS knew a guy who threw a ferrari lump into the back of a Skoda once, that was an awesome car!!
Btw, it's not like a std UK scooby is exactly slow. My classic will do mid fives to 60 and similar for the 30-70 increment. They can be bought up to Sti levels of power relatively inexpensively too. Just that the STi ives you a stronger base to work from for even higher outputs.

NS04
Old 16 October 2005, 06:42 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

indeed and if you dont want to not a lot of point....

not sure later sti engine is as strong tho..!! - someone well say for sure.
Old 16 October 2005, 10:06 PM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
Anything else is skoda? eh? By that you mean anything else it better I presume?

Or are you a bit behind the times and still think of funny little rusty rear engined cars from the 80's when you think of skoda's?...
A leopard never changes its spots

Quick Reply: Gonna get a scooby!!