Sponsored by:

Warning to Import buyers

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2005, 08:45 AM
Mjb1957
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning to Import buyers

I bought my WRX as an import (Cyprus) and have just found out that I cannot have a prodrive fitted to my car as it will invalidate my warranty, also the warranty itself is crap compared to a UK bought vehicle
Old 15 October 2005, 09:22 AM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Mate,
if it was a new car, the 3 year pan european warranty is the same AFAIK. it's the same car without Cat 1 alarm and underseal i beleive as a uk one,if you find a good dealer he could get you a PPP beleive me my dealer offered me one on my MY02 Parrellel import from Belgium.

Mac
Old 15 October 2005, 09:24 AM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Sorry, forgot to add
The dealer will just use a different chassis no for registration and as long as you intend to use him till your warranty runs out, there will be no problems.

Mac
Old 15 October 2005, 03:49 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mjb1957
I bought my WRX as an import (Cyprus) and have just found out that I cannot have a prodrive fitted to my car as it will invalidate my warranty, also the warranty itself is crap compared to a UK bought vehicle
Please explain how you feel the warranty isn't as good..?

I too have a 05 Cyprus import and the warranty is the same as uk, well not quite as I have a 5 year tranny warranty..!

As bluenose has said get a better dealer..!
Old 15 October 2005, 06:04 PM
Mjb1957
Scooby Regular

Default warranty

i telephone International Motors ( Subaru Uk ) they tell me that if I put a prodrive on my 05 wrx it will invalidate my warranty . I have also been told that cars coming from belguim or holland will be ok for a prodrive but if it came from Cyprus it won't be , so I am a little confused and concerned that if i have a prodrive fitted i will lose my warranty .
How can your garage use a different chassis number could you please clarify .
Thanks

Originally Posted by bluenosewrx
Sorry, forgot to add
The dealer will just use a different chassis no for registration and as long as you intend to use him till your warranty runs out, there will be no problems.

Mac
Old 15 October 2005, 06:09 PM
Mjb1957
Scooby Regular

Default UK versus Import warranty

My cyprus import warranty apparently only covers the engine not anything else,
i.e faulty radio , faulty switches etc . This information was given to me from a subaru main dealer who is doing some work for me .
I have been told that the uk warranty is underwritten by subaru uk that's why the other import warrenty is not as good they do not cover the same items.

I'm thinking of going for the prodrive anyway and take my chances .

You have to remember because it came from cyprus the warranty is different from other countries.

Originally Posted by jasonius
Please explain how you feel the warranty isn't as good..?

I too have a 05 Cyprus import and the warranty is the same as uk, well not quite as I have a 5 year tranny warranty..!

As bluenose has said get a better dealer..!

Last edited by Mjb1957; 15 October 2005 at 06:11 PM. Reason: more info
Old 15 October 2005, 07:09 PM
fgn
Scooby Regular

I have to say that this is rubbish. Your local dealer is wrong and obviously does not welcome import vehicles.

I have a cyprus import supplied by alliance, had several trips to dealers for warranty work including rear struts, diff cross member for 62 mph whine etc etc, prodrive already fitted and NO problems!!!!.

I suggest you try another stealer I mean dealer!!!!!!

My cyprus import warranty apparently only covers the engine not anything else,
i.e faulty radio , faulty switches etc . This information was given to me from a subaru main dealer who is doing some work for me .
I have been told that the uk warranty is underwritten by subaru uk that's why the other import warrenty is not as good they do not cover the same items.

I'm thinking of going for the prodrive anyway and take my chances .

You have to remember because it came from cyprus the warranty is different from other countries.
Old 15 October 2005, 07:35 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Sounds like your dealer is a bit out of touch, I thought since the EU dictated a minimum of 2 years pan euro warranty for all Euro supplied cars (from any mftr) Subaru instigated a three year pan euro Subaru warranty process rather than what was originally a Subaru 1 year warranty and a 2 year UK dealer warranty. Once Cyprus/Malta etc joined Europe the warranty came into line with Europe and hey presto 3 year Subaru backed warranty (not the dealer network). Defo sounds like you need to find a friendly dealer, I would imagine IM would say that the car would not be covered by warranty of PPP fitted - this is probably the official line but sounds like a friendly dealer will help you out assuming they are going to see the PPP sale and your servicing business.

I'm looking to get back into a Scooby early next year assuming I can sell my Evo. Don't think I'll consider anything other than an import (plus Alliance as mentioned above is only a few miles away).

Originally Posted by fgn
I have to say that this is rubbish. Your local dealer is wrong and obviously does not welcome import vehicles.

I have a cyprus import supplied by alliance, had several trips to dealers for warranty work including rear struts, diff cross member for 62 mph whine etc etc, prodrive already fitted and NO problems!!!!.

I suggest you try another stealer I mean dealer!!!!!!
Old 15 October 2005, 07:45 PM
Mjb1957
Scooby Regular

Default warranty

The dealer in question has no problem fitting the prodrive but he pointed out to me it could invalidate my warranty as mentioned in my previous message.
The dealer has to write my chassis number down against the prodrive that where the problem is , so its recorded that i have a prodrive fitted .

Originally Posted by lucky_strike
Sounds like your dealer is a bit out of touch, I thought since the EU dictated a minimum of 2 years pan euro warranty for all Euro supplied cars (from any mftr) Subaru instigated a three year pan euro Subaru warranty process rather than what was originally a Subaru 1 year warranty and a 2 year UK dealer warranty. Once Cyprus/Malta etc joined Europe the warranty came into line with Europe and hey presto 3 year Subaru backed warranty (not the dealer network). Defo sounds like you need to find a friendly dealer, I would imagine IM would say that the car would not be covered by warranty of PPP fitted - this is probably the official line but sounds like a friendly dealer will help you out assuming they are going to see the PPP sale and your servicing business.

I'm looking to get back into a Scooby early next year assuming I can sell my Evo. Don't think I'll consider anything other than an import (plus Alliance as mentioned above is only a few miles away).
Old 17 October 2005, 12:44 AM
WR 1mposter
Scooby Regular

you'll also find that your service book has 3k service intervals
not 10k as uk .... which you will also have to adhere to

Mine's from Malta, requires 3k service intervals, also any official Subaru uk
parts, ie. ppp, lowering kit, wheels, will invalidate warranty
Spoke to Liaco Malta they confirmed this
They did say email them explaining that your adhering to Subaru UK service plan
and also all mods are official Subaru UK parts and they will consider your point ...

until your engine goes bang fitted with ppp ... i somehow don't see them honouring this.......
Old 17 October 2005, 09:24 AM
wrxseeker
Scooby Regular

Find a decent dealer.

I have had warranty work (minor trim issues) done by my dealer on my '05 Cyprus WRX without any hassle. As stated by others here the warranty is the same apart from the transmission is covered for 5 yrs - as long as the car is registered with IM. (see thread below)
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...5&page=1&pp=20

I had my car 1st serviced at 3000miles and will now follow the annual uk service schedule - this is what my dealer suggested and also Subaru Cyprus.

PPP may invalidate your warranty - if you want to be sure why not check with Subaru Cyprus Direct ??
Old 17 October 2005, 12:44 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Thought you still have to follow the CYPRUS service regime even in the UK or you will void your warranty, though if the dealer stamps the right boxes you will probably get away with it.

My understanding is that if you do need to claim on the 3 year warranty, approval still has to be given by the supplier in Cyprus (so assuming they don't go out of business we should be ok) to the UK dealer. I too would be interested to know what the cyprus dealer says about maintaining the warranty on a car fitted with PPP or prodrive springs etc?

Originally Posted by wrxseeker
Find a decent dealer.

I have had warranty work (minor trim issues) done by my dealer on my '05 Cyprus WRX without any hassle. As stated by others here the warranty is the same apart from the transmission is covered for 5 yrs - as long as the car is registered with IM. (see thread below)
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...5&page=1&pp=20

I had my car 1st serviced at 3000miles and will now follow the annual uk service schedule - this is what my dealer suggested and also Subaru Cyprus.

PPP may invalidate your warranty - if you want to be sure why not check with Subaru Cyprus Direct ??
Old 19 October 2005, 10:34 PM
patkin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WR 1mposter
you'll also find that your service book has 3k service intervals
not 10k as uk .... which you will also have to adhere to

Its amazing what people will write without fully checking, Maltese cars service booklets do have an intermediate service but this is only required in harsh conditions, when running in the UK the normal 9k service interval keeps the warranty valid, see my previous post and a copy of the email from Liaco on the subject

Dont know how to post a link so I've copied it across

For all those who doubted my interpretation of the servicing, this is the official reply word for word from Liaco which 100% confirms my own understanding of the MALTESE car position

Dear Sir,

Thank your for your Email,

In order to maintain a valid warranty you must follow the guidelines set in
our Warranty & Service booklet. You will notice that the booklet indicates
shorter service intervals because it takes into account the Maltese
geographic region & climate with typical short trips, which is why the
booklet suggests earlier service intervals.

However it is worth noting that only the grey shaded slots are mandatory
(IE: Service 1,3,5,7 etc..), whereas the NON-Shaded are optional or required
depending on the car's usage (E.g.: If you use your car under severe
conditions, towing, weather,etc). Under normal driving and road conditions
in the UK you will be just fine to service the car at least every year or
every 9,500/10,000 miles which ever occurs first.

Hope the above answers your query, should we be of any further assistance
please contact us again.

May we take this opportunity to wish you many years of enjoyable
trouble-free motoring with your new car.

Best Regards,
AfterSales Department

Liaco Limited
Lia Building, Mosta Road, Lija BZN09 MALTA
TEL: (+356) 2141 8111
FAX: (+356) 2141 8589 Or E-FAX (+356) 2143 2116

Last edited by patkin; 19 October 2005 at 10:37 PM.
Old 18 May 2006, 02:57 PM
grmc
Scooby Newbie

Default 06MY Greek Import and no PPP :-(

Hi all,

I've just had a disappointing trip to my local dealers. PPP all ordered and ready to fit and only when they had to make the call for the 'keycode' did they notice that as it's a Greek import they knew the Greeks would refuse to honour the warranty should they continue and fit the PPP

I made a call to Alliance (where I bought it) and then another to the Greek garage it was sourced from and this confirmed it. Apparently they will not budge on this point either. I've sent a fax to Subaru Greece to beg them to see sense so we'll have to see what the response is - although I'm not taking any bets on it! Subaru UK aren't the slightest bit interested in helping either

Normally, when an after-market mod is made a manufacturer will honour anything that is not directly affected by the mod. So, an exhaust cannot possibly affect the electrics and so on. The warranty with my import is identical to the UK warranty and all items are covered (apparently there is a reciprocal arrangement in place whereby prior approval is required and then the work reimbursed directly). However, even though I know these cars are superbly put together, the gamble of nothing going wrong with the car in its first 60k/3yrs is too much to risk as far as I'm concerned. I can see it being impossible to argue with a Greek that my PPP didn't cause the gearbox to fail - even the tiniest straw from their part to avoid a payout will be grasped at. According to the Greek dealer I spoke to, Subaru Greece will refuse to honour any claim at all - not just connected components, so be warned!

Does anyone know of a decent alternative to the PPP which is easily reversed in the event of a major warranty claim?

Although the stock performance of the WRX is adequate, I still wait in hope of a bit more ooomph.... I suppose that on the bright side I've just saved £200 a year on my insurance premium
Old 18 May 2006, 03:27 PM
pete1976
Scooby Regular

I sent letters to both Subaru UK and Cyprus over a month ago now and have not received replies off either. The one to Subaru UK was to register my car on the warranty database and the Cyprus one was to obtain clarification of the required servicing frequency. Does anyone have email addresses for either of these so that I can chase them up?

Regarding the PPP, I too understand that Subaru Cyprus will invalidate the warranty if you have it done. I was aware of that when I bought it so have no complaints really. Post it here if you manage to change their minds!
Old 18 May 2006, 03:58 PM
badgersport
Scooby Regular

The rubbish that some dealers and IM will come up with to try and stop people buying imports.

A UK dealer recently quoted a friend of mine nearly £8K more to purchase an STI than I paid for mine from Motorpoint. When they are making that sort of extra profit they will do anything, legal or not, to discourage you from buying an import. Under European law the warranty is European wide , and although they are trying to say fitting a PPP will invalidate your warranty unless it's a UK sourced car I very much doubt that it would actually stand up in court.

Find a better dealer, one that wants your servicing business, and stick with them.
Old 18 May 2006, 04:02 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

How come you're saying the warranty is crap? It's no different. I'm booked in for new struts and battery, no questions asked. The only thing i didn't get was the roadside assistance.

So tell me, how is it different (crap) ?

----

Sorry, just read all other posts, which explains everything. And to re-iterate, you need a new dealer. The first dealer i tried i mentioned i was interested in TSL333 over PPP, he said no problems, and would do everything possible should there be any problems relating to it, if not relating to it, then no worries.

Last edited by GazTheHat; 18 May 2006 at 04:06 PM.
Old 18 May 2006, 04:03 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Can anyone actually tell me why a PPP can be fitted in the UK without affecting a warranty and yet it can't be fitted to a EU car without invalidating the warranty is it just that they don't want to take the risk. I assume PPP kits aren't available in cyprus/malta if they are then something fishy?

Originally Posted by badgersport
The rubbish that some dealers and IM will come up with to try and stop people buying imports.

A UK dealer recently quoted a friend of mine nearly £8K more to purchase an STI than I paid for mine from Motorpoint. When they are making that sort of extra profit they will do anything, legal or not, to discourage you from buying an import. Under European law the warranty is European wide , and although they are trying to say fitting a PPP will invalidate your warranty unless it's a UK sourced car I very much doubt that it would actually stand up in court.

Find a better dealer, one that wants your servicing business, and stick with them.
Old 18 May 2006, 04:13 PM
pete1976
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HOWY
Can anyone actually tell me why a PPP can be fitted in the UK without affecting a warranty and yet it can't be fitted to a EU car without invalidating the warranty is it just that they don't want to take the risk. I assume PPP kits aren't available in cyprus/malta if they are then something fishy?
I think it's to do with the fact that PPP is a UK product and the foreign dealers just don't know/understand about it. They just want to keep clear of mods.

This thread has made me think......we need a recommended dealer thread I think.