Sponsored by:

Speeding prevention

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2005, 05:51 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speeding prevention

Someone I know has collected her third fixed penalty this year and will now be on nine points. She drives for a living, and since the first six points seems to stick to the speed limits, but obviously slipped again. Mobile vans every time. Last time I enquired if there was any device that had a GPS map of all the speed limits and would beep at you if you were over and was told there was no such device. I can't see a fixed camera GPS device doing the trick, only something that beeps if she speeds. Ideas?
Old 14 October 2005, 05:56 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John, the only problem i can think of is that the unit wiil need to know what speed zone you are in to activate
the device.

At present i don't know of any !

Rob
Old 14 October 2005, 06:11 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

That is crazy isn't it?
Old 14 October 2005, 06:45 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

You could become a very rich man !!

Rob
Old 14 October 2005, 06:58 PM
Crosstalk
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dunno if this is unusual, but all my cars came with a handy dial behind the steering wheel that displays my speed, and I can then compare that to the handy roadside signs. A quick mental calculation of roadside sign minus dial is all that's required.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 14 October 2005, 07:09 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Crosstalk
Dunno if this is unusual, but all my cars came with a handy dial behind the steering wheel that displays my speed, and I can then compare that to the handy roadside signs. A quick mental calculation of roadside sign minus dial is all that's required.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
You sound like my wife.....perhaps you are my wife

Rob
Old 14 October 2005, 07:33 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

If she continues to speed she will get banned, then higher Insurance and difficulty in her job ..................... maybe thats the device which will slow her down??

No sympathy - people with no control need to be controlled!

Pete
Old 14 October 2005, 07:34 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
If she continues to speed she will get banned, then higher Insurance and difficulty in her job ..................... maybe thats the device which will slow her down??

No sympathy - people with no control need to be controlled!

Pete
Zich Hail !

Rob
Old 14 October 2005, 07:35 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobfan
John, the only problem i can think of is that the unit wiil need to know what speed zone you are in to activate
the device.

At present i don't know of any !

Rob
http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/Morpheous_Road_Pilot.htm
Old 14 October 2005, 07:47 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Top Man !

Rob
Old 14 October 2005, 08:06 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

John,

e-mail the company that makes the road angel. It may be possible for this to be updated with a database of all the speed signs and their respective speeds. If enough people sk for it, they might add it as a feature.

Anders
Old 14 October 2005, 09:53 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Question

i thought the blurb from road angel 2 was that it beeped if you went above the allocated speed limit
martin
Old 14 October 2005, 09:58 PM
recopish
Scooby Regular

Speed just dont do it , dont speed, it roots your internals
Old 14 October 2005, 09:59 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Subaru provide quite a good speed indicator .... its positioned within easy sight and is round in shape, it lights up at night and has a swinging needle device to alert you to the speed the vehicle is travelling ..............

Some day all cars will have one!!

Pete
Old 14 October 2005, 10:02 PM
recopish
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well done Mr, thought my car was a one off, as mine has these odd dials to.!!!
Subaru provide quite a good speed indicator .... its positioned within easy sight and is round in shape, it lights up at night and has a swinging needle device to alert you to the speed the vehicle is travelling ..............

Some day all cars will have one!!

Pete
Old 14 October 2005, 10:07 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by recopish
Well done Mr, thought my car was a one off, as mine has these odd dials to.!!!
Those people who pay £100's to get some device to bleep and buzz and blink ...... they don't realise that there is a device supplied already in their cars for telling them the speed of the vehicle!!??

They spend £100's trying not to get caught speeding ..... yet I seem to do that for free - by using the SAME device to stay legal ....

Do you think we are the only intelligent life on ScoobyNet???

Pete
Old 14 October 2005, 10:29 PM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

There's some 'Holier than Thou' to$$ers on here.

To try to help: There are laser jammers available, which do work. Snooper do one but it's a permanent attachment to the vehicle. I have a camera warning download with a TomTom 3 which sometimes warns of excess speed when approaching a known camera location.

Or there's PS Lewis' approach of never going above 3,000 RPM. This apparently has the added bonus of never having to change brake pads, ever.
Old 14 October 2005, 10:31 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

John,
I have to say I am in agreement with some of the other posters who have pointed out the 'blatantly obvious'. Look at the speedometer.

I trust your friend (wife?) wants to keep her licence/job, and needs to stop repeatedly speeding for the next 3 years!!!
Maybe a car change is the answer.
A lot more expensive than looking at the speedo, but what the hell.

A friend at work has a Mercedes SLK320 auto, which he tells me has a system which the driver can preset a maximum speed into the car, and it will NOT exceeed that speed.
So when you allow your spouse/son etc to drive it, you set it to 30mph or whatever speed you wish, and no matter how hard they press the pedal it will only do 30mph or whatever speed you have selected.

He doesn't use it, but admits that he drives ALL THE TIME using the cruise control, which he flicks up and down to suit the prevailing limit.
Then lets the car maintain speed for him.
He says it will wander a couple of mph above the set speed, but if you set it at 30mph should stay between 30-33mph.
The limiting system is supposed to be more accurate, but he has never used it, and he dosn't know if you can adjust that whilst driving for differing speed limits.

His play car is a Dax Tojiero (Cobra replica) but he says he loves being able to relax and hardly ever has to look at his speedo now when driving the SLK.

Cheers
MTR
Old 14 October 2005, 10:33 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Houghton
I have a camera warning download with a TomTom 3 which sometimes warns of excess speed when approaching a known camera location.
WHY??

Can you not contol yourself?????

Really, I am amazed - you have spent £100's on a Yuppie machine that tells you to do what you could do for free ....... if you had a brain cell or two in good working order!

Pete
Old 14 October 2005, 10:46 PM
magicdudey
Scooby Regular

HI there,
Can you let me know what is the best detector around? There is so many to choose from. It's the mobile lasers that I am concerned about? I am thinking about the Road Angle 2.
Any thoughts would be a help.
THanks
Old 14 October 2005, 10:53 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by magicdudey
HI there,
Can you let me know what is the best detector around?
Certainly, your eyes!!!

These are connected to a very powerful computer, your brain - which in turn can automatically command a leg and foot to alter its position, thus automatically adjusting the speed of the enclosure you are being transported within.

Its a superb system and relatively free!!

Pete
Old 17 October 2005, 03:10 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Does she have a GPS PDA John?

Look at this link

Simon
Old 17 October 2005, 10:12 AM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

WHY??

Can you not contol yourself?????

Really, I am amazed - you have spent £100's on a Yuppie machine that tells you to do what you could do for free ....... if you had a brain cell or two in good working order!

Pete
Just for your benefit Pete. I bought the Tom Tom, at less than £100 for navigation purposes, I already had the GPS & PDA. The camera download was free.

In the course of my work I travel 30+k miles a year, a professional driver would probably cover far more. The chances of a lapse in concentration resulting in an excess of speed, however slight, is nowadays often penalised indiscriminately and disproportionately to the 'crime'.

I've read amongst your numerous pontificatons that you have a MY99/2000 car that's still on the same brake pads at 60k miles, equating to maybe a little over 10k/year so I hardly think you're in a position to condemn someone for wanting to preserve their licence and therefore their livelihood.

Personally I consider camera detectors in the same vein as seat belts. I don't set off with the intention that either will be necessary for the journey ahead
Old 17 October 2005, 10:23 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Can I ask this: If the prominent speedo doesn't stop your friend breaking the speed limit, then what difference will a bleeping device make? Neither physically releases pressure from the accelerator pedal or applies the brakes without the drivers input.

If I was on 9 points and needed to drive for my job, I would drive very carefully and not make ANY mistakes regarding the speed limit. I do it much of the time, it's so easy. I do make mistakes from time to time but that's only due to complacency as I don't have 9 points on my licence so I'm prepared for the consequences. I'm also careful where I exceed the limit.

I don't mean to have a dig but if your friend really is that concerned then she should consider the advice. Maybe take some lessons if incapable of keeping to the limits by herself.

My old man has done 40/50k miles a year for many years and only used the speedo. It worked for him.
Old 17 October 2005, 10:34 AM
Typer Jim
Scooby Regular

I have an Origin B2 which alerts to all types of camera, accident blackspots, mobile vans and laser guns. You can programme it to alert you if you are going over any speed, but you do have to set it manually for each speed zone. I would recommend it as it has always worked for me!!!!! i.e. no points!!!
Old 17 October 2005, 10:54 AM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

Ever tried travelling East in the early morning or West at late afternoon with the sun low in a clear sky? There's occasions when it's almost impossible for your eyes to adjust quickly enough from the very bright screen to the relatively dark instruments in a safe period of not watching the road.
Old 17 October 2005, 10:59 AM
Typer Jim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Houghton
Ever tried travelling East in the early morning or West at late afternoon with the sun low in a clear sky? There's occasions when it's almost impossible for your eyes to adjust quickly enough from the very bright screen to the relatively dark instruments in a safe period of not watching the road.
Quite easy, slow down if the alert goes off....
Old 17 October 2005, 11:00 AM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Typer Jim
Quite easy, slow down if the alert goes off....

The comment was aimed at those who are too good to need any driver aids
Old 17 October 2005, 01:42 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

The Speed Camera Database I used with TomTom and another GPS basd app (CamerAware) has a database with Mobiles and Gatso's that are speed zoned.

If you could find an app for a PDA that was able to use the speed zoned database then it should be possible to warn at a particular speed. Neither of my apps used the speed zoned database, but there must be one out there otherwise why compile/include it?
Old 17 October 2005, 03:07 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

She doesnt have to take it lying down, so to speak. Fight back and visit pepipoo.com

Quick Reply: Speeding prevention