Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a new spoiler affect your insurance ?

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2005, 03:00 PM
scooby_dooby
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does a new spoiler affect your insurance ?

Hi There

I recently bought a wrx 01 and it came with the standard spoiler so I bought a wrc spoiler to replace it which is in the spray shop at this minute, does the insurance company have to be told about this change or not ? also was reading in another post about fitting of spoilers, this spoiler came with 4 fixing bolts is this enough to hold ? and is glue recommened as extra support as the sprayer is going to fit it and said he normally fixes this way ? Cheers
Old 14 October 2005, 03:08 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Yes, tell your insurer before you fit it. They could charge you nothing extra or loads to add it on but it's better safe then sorry if you have to claim. Re fixing, the STI one if bolted & some double sided sticky stuff as well (I know thi as some is protruding from the side of mine ;( )

Simon
Old 14 October 2005, 03:08 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby_dooby
Hi There

I recently bought a wrx 01 and it came with the standard spoiler so I bought a wrc spoiler to replace it which is in the spray shop at this minute, does the insurance company have to be told about this change or not ? also was reading in another post about fitting of spoilers, this spoiler came with 4 fixing bolts is this enough to hold ? and is glue recommened as extra support as the sprayer is going to fit it and said he normally fixes this way ? Cheers
You should inform you insurance company about changing the rear spoiler. I contacted Priviledge when I was with them and they wanted an additional £209 for the rear wing, and gave a load of crap about it being more nickable because of the rear wing
However my new Insurance company A-Plan have stated it on my policy and don't appear to have charged anywhere near as much. So I think it is entirly down to which insurance company you are with !!

As for the fitting mine is only held on using the 4 original bolts but I did put a run of double sided sticky foam all the way around to seal up any gaps and stop water getting in etc....

Mark
Old 14 October 2005, 03:43 PM
scooby_dooby
Scooby Newbie

cheers for your reply guys, but what if the car already had this spoiler fitted when I bought it, the insurance company wouldn't have known any different would they ?
Old 14 October 2005, 04:05 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

i guess you could try that- but if you write your car off/ get it knicked it could be the difference between an extra £100 or so insurance, or not getting anything for your car.

i'd rather be safe than crying over spilled oil
Old 14 October 2005, 04:13 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Even though the cars come with a spoiler, the one your planning on fitting isn't standard equipment. Tell your insurance company and cough up the money, don't give the insurance company an excuse for not paying out.

I was god smacked when I changed my back box, £225 for the Magnex BB and £210 to Privilege for the insurance hike!!!!!

Now with Aplan, everything is diclared (FMIC, Wheels, Remap, Induction kit, Strut bars ETC, bigger brakes, STI6 Spoiler, full de-cat exhaust) and they were still miles cheaper than privilege.
Old 14 October 2005, 04:31 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cheers for your reply guys, but what if the car already had this spoiler fitted when I bought it, the insurance company wouldn't have known any different would they ?
They ask if its standard ..... its NOT!!

Liverpool and Victoria will end your cover forthwith if you modify your car in anyway (except the addition of a TowBar, free, or Alloy Wheels, extra!)

It's simply NOT worth the risk .... if it's stolen and then recovered - the risk assesor will see it's not standard and they will not pay out ....... worse still, they will blacklist you and no other Insurer will touch you.

Only zeros play with lying to Insurance Companies!!

Pete
Old 14 October 2005, 08:05 PM
magicdudey
Scooby Regular

Smile

After reading the posts regarding telling your insurance company re the added spolier I thought OH MY!!!!!!!!

You see I picked up my new wrx 300 and also had a genuine Prodrive STi spolier fitted too and did not give it any thought re the mod route.
SO today called up David Willis at A-Plan on 023 8033 2233 (He does my insurance for the Scoob) and he said YES you MUST tell them asap. He phoned my back 5 mins later and said there will be NO CHARGE for it!!!!!!!!!!!!
As long as when my home insurance is up I give me a shot at beating the price of my current company.
I must say that I have found A-Plan and Mr Willis fantastic value for money and a top company.
If you call him mention The Magician who drives the Subaru and he'll try his best to beat anyone on price. He did for me buy lots. V happy.
All the best.
Martin
Old 14 October 2005, 09:28 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

its classed as a body modification and therefore more pleasing to eye and more likely to be stolen so your insurance will go up
Old 14 October 2005, 09:29 PM
AsianGunner
Scooby Regular

how much did it cost to get the spoiler sprayed mate?

i've just bought a WR1 one for my 02 wrx, an gotta get it sprayed.

cheers

nick
Old 14 October 2005, 09:51 PM
magicdudey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AsianGunner
how much did it cost to get the spoiler sprayed mate?

i've just bought a WR1 one for my 02 wrx, an gotta get it sprayed.

cheers

nick
Don't know mate.
I got a deal as I bought a car from them. It was all ready and painted to be fitted.
Old 14 October 2005, 10:40 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

They might read your post perhaps......