Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scooby or not scooby?

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2000, 10:49 PM
scoobymaybe?
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Previously the owner of a classic M3 then an Audi S3 my current car, after a ride in a colleague of mine's new UK Impreza what can I say AWESOME!!!

The Audi is going to be replaced by an Impreza and I was hoping you guys on here could give me some advie on which to buy?

There are so many out there thought I'd come and get some advice off the experts first.

Cheers in advance
Old 26 September 2000, 11:21 PM
Kevin2000
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hmm if you are happy with the UK spec car then maybe it would suit you best although I am not sure how many of them are left.I know for definite that here in Ireland there are only two unregistered MY00 left in the whole country.A wine one and a silver one.
Secondly I am not convinced of the power difference between the standard Impreza and the imported STI versions.I was so unconvinced that I got a 98 turbo which has 208bhp and got a WRX STI v5 and got both cars and put them on a straight piece of road.Both cars where lined up side by side and we both did full bore starts and proceeded to accelerate as fast as the cars would allow and by 95mph the WRX had pulled exactly 1 car length and most of that was got just after it hit second gear.Me thinks someone is over exagerating the power of one car and understating the power of the other.Both car where standard factory spec by the way,no mods.Any explanations?
Regards
Kevo
Old 26 September 2000, 11:29 PM
scoobymaybe?
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for that. Any other opinions welcome, was looking at maybe an STi 6 or a P1 thinking the STi gives better value for money the standard UK car certainly makes the Audi seem very average so as you say maybe that is the one to go for, however if the standard car does that I can only quiver with anticipation at what an STi would do? However saying that a cars length at 95 mph as you say obviously not alot in it.

Thanks
Old 27 September 2000, 08:01 AM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

There is a fair few people who say an Sti is not much quicker than a UK car. You may have got a bad one (STi) - at the Revs day, my Sti was against a UK car with identical mods to mine and a std UK.
The times seemed closh-ish on paper, but at the final race we all lined up at the start and I was miles ahead in both. First time I had a bad start, 2nd time was a good start.

Stef who posts on this board once or twice will give you an unbiased opinion.

Saying that, I still love UK cars and in certain conditions (ie v wet and bumpy roads) they are probably a bit quicker.
Old 27 September 2000, 08:14 AM
JT
Scooby Newbie

Similar Problem for me, after a test drive I've put aside thoughts of a TT, 330Ci and S3. What I'm waiting for is the UK spec New wrx. It may be that it fails to hit the mark and then I'll probably hunt for a MY2000.

I think things are on hold until after the motorshow (I'll be there on preview day)

BTW, I don't think the 2001 looks THAT bad and if it performs like the MY2000, my dosh is waiting!

JT
Old 27 September 2000, 08:17 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Wink

Craig,

do you think that with your mods you are going to be able to keep up with a UK on wet bumpy roads now then?

robski

Old 27 September 2000, 08:53 AM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

I've got a UK car (my00) and a STI ver 4 - the STI definitely has more power - when I get into the UK after it, the uk car seems very flat mid/high range.
What I would say is my previous uk one (1997 reg/my98) was alot quicker than the present uk car. Although Subaru claim it should be more powerful, I am told it has a smaller turbocharger - is this true ?

Anyway, I would recommend the STI over the a Uk car at the moment.

Trending Topics

Old 27 September 2000, 09:07 AM
popeye
Scooby Regular

Wink

Kevin2000:
Have you informed Subaru of the results of your experiment? Perhaps they could save millions of Yen by shutting the whole STi operation down, if it's not much cop. They might give you a prize or something.
Old 27 September 2000, 09:19 AM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

Rob,
Err it may do - just! Might lose out a little on the straights though
Old 27 September 2000, 07:09 PM
Kevin2000
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hey Popeye?????
I did not say that Subaru TI division should be closed down and incidently I myself work for Subaru.The difference between the two cars is not as great as everybody thinks.And yes Mr Trigger you are correct in stating the MY00 has a smaller turbo than previous models and there are countless other small differences which I will not go into.Another thing I have noticed is that there can be variations in the amount of power the standard Impreza produces,thankfully always more than 218bhp.
Regards
Kevo
Old 27 September 2000, 11:44 PM
popeye
Scooby Regular

Talking

Kev2000:
So as a Subaru employee, you're saying that the cars that STi churn out aren't worth the money over the standard turbo? Here's a tip: Don't go in for any company-wide employee suggestion schemes. You'll probably end up getting the sack.

PS - I hope your post wasn't some thinly -veiled anti-grey import propaganda from a Subaru franchise. Surely not?!
Old 28 September 2000, 02:36 PM
Orville
Scooby Regular

I have recently driven an STI VI and a Prodrive'd RB5. My opinion was that there was only a mouses fart between the 2 cars. The RB5 seemed to have more low to mid range torque, but above 5000rpm the STI pulled harder. The STI was a 4dr so didn't have the benifit of much lower gearing.

I do not think that the STI produced 276bhp, atleast not on UK fuel and against the Evo 6 I also drove on the same day. If the Evo had 27Hbhp, I'd guess the STI had 260 and the RB5 250. All were unmodified as far as I know. I have also owned a standard MY99 which wasn't very much slower than the RB5. Perhaps 20 or 30bhp donw on an STI but definately not the 50+bhp quoted.
Old 28 September 2000, 03:27 PM
popeye
Scooby Regular

Smile

Orville: Your maths don't add up mate. If your MY99 was 20-30 bhp down on an STi, which you reckon is 260hp, then your MY99 was hardly standard. Also, a Prodrive RB5 is usually quoted at 240, not 250, and my old un-modded STi4 was showing 272 on a rolling road, not 260. Mind you, all these figures are pretty meaningless as there's a whole load of other variables to be taken into consideration. Sorry to be pedantic!
Old 28 September 2000, 03:44 PM
cwal1
Scooby Regular

I've got an unmodified STI5 which replaced and unmodified MY98 UK Turbo. The STI5 is in a different league in terms of acceleration and speed. The UK car would run out of steam at an indicated 145 whereas my STI has seen more than an indicated 160 on more than 1 occasion. I've also driven MY97,96 and 95 Turbo's which felt as if they had no turbo compared to the STI.
During a visit to have the geometry altered, I drove an EVO6 and although the car is obviously a match for an STI, it certainly felt no more powerful and if anything its power delivery was less instant.

Get an STI !!!

CW.

Old 28 September 2000, 04:32 PM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

Well Kevin2000, if you feel there is little difference between a STI and a standard UK car, then come around to my place and drive them - side by side. There is no contest, especially the RA I have.

Also, if the Turbo is smaller on the MY00 cars then why has my dealer not admitted it ? I keep complaining of the stuttering acceleration and the lack of performance - with total blank looks ! I have had no option but to get the STI just to maintain levels.
Old 28 September 2000, 04:49 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Erm, if you read the FAQ on the SIDC page, I think you'll find it is common knowledge that a smaller turbo was fitted from MY99 on, to spin it up quicker, ie lower down the rev range.

Size, whilst it does matter, is not as I read the physics of car engines and turbo charging, the be all and end all of the matter.

The Phase II boxer engine is an improvement on the original, so more BHP even with smaller turbo.

The BHP/Torque subject has just about been done to death on here in the past, do a search on suitable key words and you will find tons of stuff.

Back on topic to Scooby or not to Scooby. If you need to ask, I wouldn't bother.