Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Only £261 inc VAT for 30,000 mile service, BUT...

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2000, 02:57 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just got my MY99 back from 30,000 mile service. I was expecting a bill for around £350 as this seemed to be what other people have been charged. I was rather pleased that my invoice came to 'only' £261 inc VAT, but...

When I later checked the service details I discovered that the dealers had only 'inspected' rather than replaced the following:

Brake fluid - inspected
Diff and transmission oil - inspected

Should I be worried.

p.s. I have an ITG filter, so I wasnt charged for this.
Old 26 September 2000, 03:34 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

At least they've been honest about what they've done. But it couldn't have been a main agent, right?, as no Subaru dealer (i hope) would leave those unchanged on an Impreza at 30,000 unless they knew they had been done very recently somewhere else.
They're definitely worth getting replaced, even though it will be hassle to take it back etc. I just wonder what they were thinking...
Old 26 September 2000, 03:47 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Deffo main agent. In fact when I phoned to book car in a few weeks in advance, same dealer quoted me 'about' £350.

Dont suspect his honesty, just his motives.

I mean ffs, it states it quite clearly in the service schedule R or I. Cant really be confused can it? And he must have done 100's or 30K services as he is well established dealer.

I suppose if I ever had problem with diff etc then I could have him for it, as I have proof work was ommited.

My only fear is the brake fluid, although I think its a bit much to change it after 12 months (and I could always replace it myself). But then I know fek all and he is the dealer.

Still slightly worried tho.
Old 26 September 2000, 05:30 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Question

Forgive the stupid question, but why not phone the garage, speak to the service manager and act stupid. Say that it says in your manual that it should be replaced, not just inspected, so you're worried.

If he answers you to your satisfaction, end of story. If not, ask for a way forward with him.

Or am I missing something?
Old 26 September 2000, 05:44 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

If the box failed in 5000 miles time, Subaru UK could quite rightly turn around and say it has not been serviced in accordance with their Warranty Schedule.

This would leave you to sort the problem out with the garage.

It is vital that these fluids and the brake fluid are changed. The gear/centre diff and rear diff fluids get very hot in normal use (normal use!!, let alone the "rollercoaster" roads around Glasgow) and their viscosity does break down. The same applies to brake fluid, but this is also hygroscopic and its boiling point lowers with time. 2 years is about your lot in a normal enviroment, but Glasgow is not famous for its clement weather.

Don't mess about on this. Speak to them and get the work done. If it is who I think it is, I'm amazed as their reputation is first class.

Old 26 September 2000, 05:53 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

I had the same with my dealer in North Yorkshire, when I questioned them they said they checked them and if?? they needed replacing they did, if not on the next service. Two other dealers confirmed the same
Old 26 September 2000, 05:55 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

Whhooops i'm new to this thing I also forgot to mention the price for the 30,000 service and incredible £212 yep only £212 had my own air filter too.
Old 26 September 2000, 08:07 PM
MatthewR
Scooby Regular

Hi...

I would be somewhat concerned if fluids that were specifically supposed to be changed at a service were not. If it doesn't knacker your warranty, it certainly doesn't do your car much good...

Surely cheap services where things aren't changed as they should be is just false economy?

Matthew
Old 26 September 2000, 09:42 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Angry

i am confused by this thread.

It's a no brainer

If the service book says it needs changing then it needs changing, no ifs or buts.

I would be straight on to the dealer and insist they do what they are supposed to do at no extra cost to you. I would threaten them with calling IM if they even consider arguing.

What is the point of having a FSH if it aint a genuine full service history??

They want stringing up by there nuts!!
Old 26 September 2000, 10:46 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Right, spoke to dealer.

Chiark m8, soz if it is 'I' who is missing something, but I take it this bullitin board is a waste of space for U, as I dont suppose U will ever ask anyone 'anything'. This BBS is for just this type of brainstorming. Forewarned is forearmed etc.

To the rest, for your helpful imput, thanks.

When I questioned the dealer they said that they checked them and if they needed replacing they did so, if not then on the next service. So same as your experience hawkeye.

He said that as long as the fluids when checked were 'golden' or clean, they left them for 7500, but if I want them changed then they will, and I will be charged for labour and fluids, hence only £260 rather that £350 - £380.

Pete, sorry, I dont exactly stay in Glasgow, its Ayrshire, so you will prob be thinking of someone else. I tend to agree with you tho that the Ayrshire climate is rather 'humid' to say the least

On Subarus stance, if Its as good as it has been with my clutch and disc problems then surely if dealer stamps service record, and they are a main agent, then they would probably approve the warranty claim on strength of this.

I mean if Im a numpty who just hands car over then collects the keys later and something fails, then my claim is not just with dealer, as he is acting on behalf of Subrau, and I guess they could take away his lucrative little franchise if he doesnt cought up anyhow.

Again as John states, I tend to think if service record says R, it means R.........

Still not sure tho, I mean £90 saving aint that much, but if car isnt used to severely (my partner drives it through week)
is it money best saved.

I knew we Scots were a tight lot, now I guess I'm still living up to it, hehe

[This message has been edited by Jye (edited 26 September 2000).]
Old 26 September 2000, 10:54 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jye - why the bitch at chiark ?

sensible advice i thought.

are you short? (as in harry enfields brand spanking new series)

'kin do you....

[This message has been edited by jjones (edited 26 September 2000).]
Old 27 September 2000, 08:46 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

jye, I was trying to help believe it or not . I'd have been on the phone as soon as I noticed the lack of work that is required...

Though Pete Croney's and John F's posts probably have the "ultimate" advice.

Glad you got it sorted. I'll slink off and never try to help again
Old 27 September 2000, 02:44 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Soz chiark, wasnt really meant 2 b bitchy, although after I read it again, aye, bitch, bitch, bitch, heheh.

Its just that whenever I phone a dealer re 'any' problem I reckon they must have a big book of excuses which we punters must counter on every occasion. 'Thats why' I wanted to consult the great oracle known as Scoobynet. So if u are missing something it is probably a copy of this book

jjones, can I bitch at u then, no Im 6' plus, so u can have me if u can take me

Old 27 September 2000, 03:06 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Unhappy

errmmmmm,

you still havn't got your car sorted!!

You have to get these fluids changed, there is no "looks OK to me" on the service schedule!!

I am sorry but this is not acceptable practice, the service book should not have been stamped without doing what subaru requests is done. They say change it for a reason you know.

john, still
Old 27 September 2000, 06:42 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

You are right John, I have decided to have the fluids replaced by another dealer.

I intend keeping the car for a few years, so the money/peace of mind equation is a no contest decision on my part.

If u knew me u would know my paranoia knows no bounds. So I have therefore lost my trust/faith in this dealer and will take my £'s elsewhere. The car is just to fast to be mucked about with IMHO.

I guess I knew this all along, but my faith in human/(dealer?) nature has went downhill just about much as it can this weather.
After owning a sucession of Peugots, perhaps I was hoping, "fek, not again"?

Old 27 September 2000, 08:14 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Angry

good to hear it Jye.

It leaves me wondering how many other cars out there are not being serviced properly??

Oils are super critical for the long term health of the mechanical components.

As mentioned earlier, brake fluids are hydroscopic and absorb water, reducing there boiling point and increasing there compresibility. That may be the diference between stopping in time or having a death on your concience.

Not replacing these fluids is scandalous, stamping the service book without doing this work is fraud. They should be reported to IM IMHO.
Old 27 September 2000, 10:53 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

Cool

Jye,

I think that a complaint to IM is in order here, I'm sure that John or someone will have their number/address.

Perhaps the MY2001 will have a service book with

I (Inspect)
R (Replace)
LOTMM8 (looks OK to me mate)

SS
Old 28 September 2000, 03:02 PM
Guy Humpage
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't trust a stamped service book at all, the car I bought a couple of months ago to replace my dead Impreza (victim of little old lady with wet shoes slipping off brake pedal ) is a Honda Civic VTi (yes, thank you, I know ).

Looking through the paperwork before buying the car, there was a nice stamped Honda service history including a 60K service (big one), but looking at the receipts showed the cambelt hadn't been changed when it should have been, I assume this had been done at the owners request as the dealer had written in big letters on the reciept 'Cambelt Not Changed..' but they still stamped the book - implying that all the work had been done.

Which shows that even a dealer history has to be taken with a pinch of salt, and I don't think I'd trust an FSH with just the stamps without plenty of service sheets/invoices etc.

NB - Cambelt was changed shortly after this by guy I bought the car from...
Old 28 September 2000, 04:54 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Angry

I guess with everyone trying to coin in on 'Rip off Britain' that we will never be sure of anything unless we see it with our own eyes.

Even when I take my car to have fluids changed, how do I actually know dealer will do it. Do I stand over him and watch, ask for the old fluids back, hehe.

I spoke to a 'friend' in the motor trade who says that modern engines, oils and petrol are so good that the 'trade' regularly uses their strange rule of thumb, 'If it looks OK' etc.

He said that he knew of many 'prestige' dealers (read Mercedes as he worked with merc dealers)that skipped out on many servive items, especially gearbox oils and brake/ATF fluids etc. Many of the cars he was working on it was policy to miss out g/box oil etc and he knew of some cars (taxis)which went for well over 200,000 miles with only topping up of gearoils etc.

Scares me actully.

More worried.