Sponsored by:

This is not good!!!

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2005, 07:12 PM
Shaw.Tee
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is not good!!!

Just received a letter from Subaru (UK) Limited informing me that my car was sold through an unauthorised dealer and this contravenes EU Regulations. SO NO WARRANTY! Has anyone else had this happen? If so what did you do? If not has anyone any advice for me please?

Shaw
Old 14 October 2005, 10:17 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Which dealer did u buy it from??
Old 14 October 2005, 10:41 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you not think it odd that you got a bargain that the Authorised Dealers couldn't match??

Pete
Old 14 October 2005, 10:45 PM
rooter75
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by albob
Which dealer did u buy it from??
you mean which lorry did it fall off!
Old 20 October 2005, 04:16 PM
fenman
Scooby Regular

If you were told by the "dealer" you bought it from that it would have the Subaru warranty I suppose you might be able to back the car if it really has no warranty! It's a huge part of buying a car!
Old 20 October 2005, 09:14 PM
gouryella
Scooby Newbie

Default Re This Is Not Good

A mate of mine bought one through Motorpoint and he has received a similar letter.
It is my understanding that you only qualify for warranty if the car is a personal import and the only way it qualifies is if you buy direct from the people abroad and not via a UK company.
What I don't understand is my mate has got an invoice from the Subaru Distributor in Malta (Liaco ???) and also one from Motorpoint. How can you have two invoices for one car?
Old 20 October 2005, 11:38 PM
WR 1mposter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gouryella
A mate of mine bought one through Motorpoint and he has received a similar letter.
It is my understanding that you only qualify for warranty if the car is a personal import and the only way it qualifies is if you buy direct from the people abroad and not via a UK company.
What I don't understand is my mate has got an invoice from the Subaru Distributor in Malta (Liaco ???) and also one from Motorpoint. How can you have two invoices for one car?
I brought mine from a dealer in Bristol which was imported from Malta
and I have the 3 years manufacturers warranty...but you don't get a cortesy car or breakdown cover .. which most people get with insurance anyway
Old 21 October 2005, 09:14 AM
wrxseeker
Scooby Regular

Had the car and warranty been registered with Subaru UK (International motors) ??

How long have you had the car ??
Old 21 October 2005, 09:19 AM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

aargh. i bought from motorpoint, i have my V5, but not got my service book yet, so haven't registered it with Subaru UK yet.

i hope this doesn't happen to me...for motorpoint's sake!

i'll be looking for £5000 back
Old 21 October 2005, 10:57 AM
gouryella
Scooby Newbie

Default THIS IS NOT GOOD

Originally Posted by DonnieDarko
aargh. i bought from motorpoint, i have my V5, but not got my service book yet, so haven't registered it with Subaru UK yet.

i hope this doesn't happen to me...for motorpoint's sake!

i'll be looking for £5000 back
Have you got two invoices as well??
Old 21 October 2005, 11:24 AM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

just a motorpoint one
Old 21 October 2005, 11:56 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Last time this was discussed on here the thread mysteriously vanished...
Old 21 October 2005, 12:15 PM
WRX_SWRT
Scooby Regular

Hi all this is my first post, Im 20 years old and just placed a deposit on my first subaru, im buying from all brands new, the car is a WRX but with the same upgrades as a uk WRX 300 minus the PPP. I know this car is an import like the motorpoint ones. I have been told that it will come with a full 3 years subaru warrenty. Is this correct or will i recieve one of these letters? Also once i have the car do I need to register it with subaru or anything? thanks onder2:
Old 21 October 2005, 12:35 PM
gouryella
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by WRX_SWRT
Hi all this is my first post, Im 20 years old and just placed a deposit on my first subaru, im buying from all brands new, the car is a WRX but with the same upgrades as a uk WRX 300 minus the PPP. I know this car is an import like the motorpoint ones. I have been told that it will come with a full 3 years subaru warrenty. Is this correct or will i recieve one of these letters? Also once i have the car do I need to register it with subaru or anything? thanks onder2:
Logic would suggest that you would also receive one of these letters. I can't see it just being Motorpoint customers
Old 21 October 2005, 12:42 PM
gubby
Scooby Regular

I bought my Impreza WRX Wagon from Motorpoint on the 30th September.

I kept banging on about the Warranty and was told unequivocably that it was a three year manufacturers warranty. ( i.e. same as UK one but without the recovery cover and presumably free 1000 mile service)

Motorpoint buy these cars from I think Liaco Subaru in Malta and the warranty starts ticking from the date of purchase which is why my warranty will not be for the full three years but for 2 years and 9 months or whatever. I bit of a pisser but not the end of the world.

As for the Invoice from Liaco. I was told by Motorpoint that they have to send this back to Liaco to register the Warranty in my name and then the Service book and Warranty guide would arrive (either direct from Malta or via Motorpoint, can't remember which) in four to six weeks. They told me I need do nothing else. Reading other threads on here though, some people say you then need to register with Subaru UK. Cross that bridge when I get to it.

Lots of people over the last couple of years have bought Subarus through Motorpoint and reading historic threads this problem hasn't arisen in the past.

I'm not panicking yet, but it is a little worrying.

Still they say Subarus don't break down
Old 21 October 2005, 12:49 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billythekid
Last time this was discussed on here the thread mysteriously vanished...
The last time this was discussed - it turned into a slanging match with some very dubious comments and the thread was deleted. It did not 'mysteriously disappear'
Old 21 October 2005, 12:55 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Thats what happens when you dont buy from an Authorised UK Subaru Dealer.

Everyone else take note

Why do you think the price is a bit more in the UK ?? Its not just dealer margins or Subaru UK looking to make a fast buck, most of it goes into the warranty pot

As i said before its your money, so you decide, i know were mines went & will go in the future

Though maybe not with Subaru, but i will buy a UK car

HTH
Old 21 October 2005, 01:03 PM
ryn004
Scooby Regular

I live in Malta, and I can confirm that Liaco is the official Subaru dealer in Malta. What I can't understand is why would you bother about warranty if you have to ship the car from the UK so that Liaco can check it out? Because at the end of the day if something goes wrong with the car, everyone starts blaming the other, and the buyer gets stuck with the same car. Like most people say, if you want a new car better off paying that extra and have your mind at rest.
Old 21 October 2005, 01:05 PM
WRX_SWRT
Scooby Regular

Here`s a question then se the 1000 mile service were motorpoint customers or the like told the 1000 ,ile service woould be free? if not how much would one cost? Has anyone had the 1000 mile service carried out at a subaru garage for free on the euro car or have you had problems?
Old 21 October 2005, 01:07 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Here`s a question then se the 1000 mile service were motorpoint customers or the like told the 1000 ,ile service woould be free? if not how much would one cost? Has anyone had the 1000 mile service carried out at a subaru garage for free on the euro car or have you had problems?
No as Subaru UK pick up the tab for the Labour, the customer pays for materials

So unless Motorpoint or Subaru Malta / Cyprus want to pick up the tab then you the customer of the imported Subaru will have to pay
Old 21 October 2005, 01:09 PM
wrxseeker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
Thats what happens when you dont buy from an Authorised UK Subaru Dealer.

Everyone else take note

Why do you think the price is a bit more in the UK ?? Its not just dealer margins or Subaru UK looking to make a fast buck, most of it goes into the warranty pot

As i said before its your money, so you decide, i know were mines went & will go in the future

Though maybe not with Subaru, but i will buy a UK car

HTH
Is this why the previous thread ended up as a slanging match ??

Its very easy to say "I told you so" and of course some people have never made a mistake of any kind - ever !!

I am not saying buying an import is a mistake BTW - until the original thread starter gives people some more details like where he bought the car from or what invoices he had and whether he had registered the car with IM, its a bit early for people to panic.

Also a bit early for people to say I told you so !! (Not trying to start a slanging match, just keep the thread factual and useful to people who have bought imports ! )
Old 21 October 2005, 01:09 PM
WRXPete
Scooby Regular

I never got a service book with mine from Motorpoint...they told me it had just a years warranty....spoke with staff at a Subaru UK dealer (Bell and Colvill) and they state that all Subarus come with a two year manufacturers warranty, regardless of where it is sold.
Old 21 October 2005, 01:10 PM
WRX_SWRT
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info sti04 , kind of off subject but anyway. How much would a 1k service cost me?
Old 21 October 2005, 01:14 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Thanks for the info sti04 , kind of off subject but anyway. How much would a 1k service cost me?
I got mines done at Nobles in Penicuik the materials were about £80 (STi)

You have got a cracking new dealership in Falkirk, Ian Grieve's They will charge you including labour about £150

They are open saturday mornings for servicing as well
Old 21 October 2005, 01:17 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by wrxseeker
Is this why the previous thread ended up as a slanging match ??

Its very easy to say "I told you so" and of course some people have never made a mistake of any kind - ever !!

I am not saying buying an import is a mistake BTW - until the original thread starter gives people some more details like where he bought the car from or what invoices he had and whether he had registered the car with IM, its a bit early for people to panic.

Also a bit early for people to say I told you so !! (Not trying to start a slanging match, just keep the thread factual and useful to people who have bought imports ! )

No mate, i have made plenty of mistakes

I fully support the UK market & i dont like people flooding it with parallel imports that just bring down residuals.

Subaru are only entitled to give you one years manufactures warranty, they are not under the sale of goods act entitled to give you anymore.

It really is a grey area
Old 21 October 2005, 01:18 PM
WRX_SWRT
Scooby Regular

Yea iv been in alot they seem really good and they`re servicing has just opened up, was going to try buy a WRX 300 from them but was just to much, found this one which is the same apart from doesn`t have the PPP its 16444and ave managed to strech to it thats why iv went for the euro import, im only 20 lol will need to phone ian grieve tell them i got a car.
Old 21 October 2005, 01:20 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Yea iv been in alot they seem really good and they`re servicing has just opened up, was going to try buy a WRX 300 from them but was just to much, found this one which is the same apart from doesn`t have the PPP its 16444and ave managed to strech to it thats why iv went for the euro import, im only 20 lol will need to phone ian grieve tell them i got a car.
Alastair will help you as much as he can
Old 21 October 2005, 01:30 PM
wrxseeker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
No mate, i have made plenty of mistakes

I fully support the UK market & i dont like people flooding it with parallel imports that just bring down residuals.

Subaru are only entitled to give you one years manufactures warranty, they are not under the sale of goods act entitled to give you anymore.

It really is a grey area
Unfortunately Subaru launching new models every 12 months is also hitting residuals too. By paying less for the car in the 1st place (buing an EU import) you have less to lose.

The warranty from, say, Cyprus is with Subaru Cyprus is a Pan European 3 yr warranty. There are plenty of people on here who have had fairly major work carried out on EU imports at UK main dealers under warranty no problem but AFAIK all their cars have had the warranty registered with IM (Subaru Uk).

Again, without getting the full facts from the guy who made the 1st post its all a bit academic.

He hasnt posted for a week but If I had had one of these letters I would be on here every day checking to see what replies I'd had.

Maybe someone started the thread to try and put people off imports !!!!
Old 21 October 2005, 01:33 PM
Dippy Hippy
Scooby Newbie

I too recieved this letter from IM this week. It wasn't until I actually tried to register the car with IM that I got the letter. I bought my WRX from Alliance in February.

My understanding is that the UK dealer undertaking the warranty work needs to get permission from the supplying dealer (in my case in Cyprus) to carry out the work (as the costs of warranty work are claimed from the supplying dealer). If this is true then this letter from IM is just a way to scare people away from buying parallel imports. For Cypriot imports the warranty booklet states that it is the supplying dealer that warrants the car (and not IM).

If the dealers in Cyprus will not underwrite the warranty work then word would get around and people like Alliance will no longer buy from them.

If this is not the case then people like Alliance, Motorpoint and Virgin will be facing huge bills for mis-selling cars!
Old 21 October 2005, 01:35 PM
wrxseeker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ryn004
I live in Malta, and I can confirm that Liaco is the official Subaru dealer in Malta. What I can't understand is why would you bother about warranty if you have to ship the car from the UK so that Liaco can check it out? Because at the end of the day if something goes wrong with the car, everyone starts blaming the other, and the buyer gets stuck with the same car. Like most people say, if you want a new car better off paying that extra and have your mind at rest.
AFAIK If the car is registered with Subaru UK, you take the car into a Uk main dealer who contact Subaru UK regarding any Warranty work required.

Subaru uk then contact Subaru Malta and get the go ahead from them.

It may take slightly longer but the car never leaves the UK (if thats what you meant !!)

Quick Reply: This is not good!!!