CCTV camera vans

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2005, 05:20 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CCTV camera vans

whats the little camera on a tripod doing outside one of them

is it a speed camera . Theyre were loads of police up stream from it, were they looking for someone?
Old 04 October 2005, 05:30 PM
Garion
Scooby Regular

sounds a bit like an ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) camera. its hooked up to the police computer & it can tell them in seconds if the car is stolen/no tax etc.
seen them up my way a few times,always with a couple of cars and loads of police further down the road.
Old 04 October 2005, 05:34 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

looked like a little blackbox with the camera hole in the middle but little bulbs (presume infrared) on either side
Old 04 October 2005, 05:42 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

It's another way of persecuting motorists

I don't give a flying fek what they tell you about tax, insurance or the colour of the driver's undies, it's a fek sight easier than actually working at catching rapists, robbers, burglars, murderers, child molesters etc etc.

Looks good in the "crime" fihgures too

Alcazar
Old 04 October 2005, 06:16 PM
Tasberley
Scooby Regular

see them quite a few times in birmingham in the centre...
Old 04 October 2005, 06:20 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Have seen this set up in Romford many times, they always seem to be nabbing lots of people when they are there too.

AFAIK it is not to do with speeding as there is a speed camera on the road they set up on, so in my eyes its a good thing.

Cookie
Old 04 October 2005, 06:24 PM
TAINTON
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
It's another way of persecuting motorists

I don't give a flying fek what they tell you about tax, insurance or the colour of the driver's undies, it's a fek sight easier than actually working at catching rapists, robbers, burglars, murderers, child molesters etc etc.

Looks good in the "crime" fihgures too

Alcazar
Perscuting motorists that truely is not the case, the ANPR is a good tool yes it can tell you whether a vehicle is insured/taxed etc etc but it can also tell you if the owner is wanted etc.......

As for un-insured vehicles im sure that everyones else on here would like these people caught and dealt with.....these people are a knightmare when involved in accidents.

Yes you are right about the figures comment but blame that on the dam goverment who are more concerned with figures.

Just my opinion grill me if you must
Old 04 October 2005, 06:32 PM
Listy
Scooby Regular

Tread carefully around this one matey......

I passed a Black box on a tri-pod in Bristol last year thinking it was Tax etc etc....

1 week later 3 points £60.00

W&nkers
Old 04 October 2005, 06:32 PM
Bottomfeeder
Scooby Regular

ANPR - catching illegal motors/motorists and removing them from our roads - EXCELLENT, however........

One of the main 'selling points' of this system is always "uninsured motorists are the main reason ur premiums are so high"

So, when they've all been removed from the roads are we going to see a drop in our premiums ?

FPMSL
Old 04 October 2005, 07:13 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

If theres just a van and no police to be seen then thats normally a speeding one, they normally set one up near a school were i live.

If theres the van and the police then thats normally tax and insurance check
Old 04 October 2005, 07:21 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Also to be fair, when i saw them gathered ready to pounce on guilty drivers, i did have the same old "how many police- why arnt they out catching "real" criminals thought.

But on closer inspection there were mainly DVLA staff wearing yellow coats and only a few police there.
Old 04 October 2005, 08:53 PM
SimonGawthorpe
Scooby Regular

What you saw was almost definately an ANPR camera. They scan number plates and check for

1) Wanted People
2) People with no insurance
3) People with no tax
4) Stolen cars
5) Cars of interest / used in crime

Alcazar, you obviously own a nice car, I presume thats why you post on here. Do you insure it? Do you tax it? Would you like everyone else to tax and insure theirs?

If someone stole it would you like the Police to try and get it back?

Think on.

Simon
Old 04 October 2005, 10:18 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

The reason there`s always so many Police around the ANPR cameras is because the results from them are very good.

You can be out for just an hour with the camera and 4 or 5 bike patrols, and within the hour all the bike patrols can have made arrests, for all manner of things, so it`s not just for detecting people who don`t pay their road-tax.

It`s a shame that some of the less-informed on here can`t just keep their gobs shut when they don`t know what they`re on about !

The usual crap of "should be out catching burglars/robbers etc" is just that...........a load of crap !

The Police ARE out there catching burglars/robbers etc, but they`re also employed to catch errant motorists as well, because errant motorists kill far more people in this country every year than murderers, so the Police can`t just ignore it, it`s just that there are different departments within the Police, and they each do different things, much like any other organization.

I`ll put it this way, for some that don`t understand that one.....................if you had a roofer doing a job on your roof, you wouldn`t ask him to come inside and plaster your kitchen wall, just because he`s in the building trade ??????

End of........................rant over.