Sponsored by:

RA torque

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2005, 12:49 PM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RA torque

hi people, first post on this site, and just got a quick question. currently i have a 1996 STI 3 RA, the cars got moderate mods and is pushing 320 bhp and 266lbs of torque. What i wanted to know is how do i get the torque closer to the power figures, i thought if the car has that much power shouldn't the torque be about the 300 mark?

the current mods are:
Blitz nur spec r cat back exhaust system
magnex de-cat
magnex up-pipe
Blitz induction kit
Blitz dump valve
Blitz AFR regulator
FSE Power Boost Valve
Walbro uprated Fuel Pump
NGK Uprated Spark plugs
Samco induction pipe
AP organic clutch

i asked someone about remapping the current ECU but was told its a bit risky because its an RA. Would something like a MOTEC ecu be the way to go?
any help is greatly appreciated.....
Old 02 October 2005, 01:35 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

A 1996 ECU cant be remapped..... A MOTEC ECU would be nice, so would a GEMS but for value you cant beat the A'PEXi PowerFC at £750 fitted and mapped.

Simon
Old 02 October 2005, 01:40 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

You CAN get a scoobyECU chip put on your ECU and mapped for your car. Costs about 400 quid including the mapping. I don't see why that would be more risky in an RA?
Old 02 October 2005, 01:44 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

A ScoobyECU isnt a 're-map' in any respect. Its a replacement IC thats fitted into a socket thats is soldered onto the PCB. 'ScoobyECUs' now cost approximately £600 fitted and mapped (quoted only last week). An original ScoobyECU sells for approaching £400 in eBay now; and their parameters cant be altered to suit your car.....
Old 02 October 2005, 02:09 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you start to add too much torque, much past 300lbs and you can start running into problems, you will end up with one knackered gearbox/clutch, depending on how you drive your car.
Thats your main problem that you need to look at, is it worth the potential risk of 1. a new gearbox/replacement gearbox if the original goes, 2. new clutch as they wont take that much torque, 3. upgrade your gearbox internals and do the clutch at the same time?

Tony
Old 02 October 2005, 02:47 PM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

cheers guys great help. tony i think you may have a point, if there is that much hassle in increasing the torque, i may have to think twice about how often i want to be in the garage..... but an apexi power fc sound very tempting for that price...simon do you know where i could get it from, mapped and fitted?
Old 02 October 2005, 02:54 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Andy Forrest

Simon

Trending Topics

Old 02 October 2005, 03:48 PM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

Smile

cheers mate
Old 02 October 2005, 09:31 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GC8
A ScoobyECU isnt a 're-map' in any respect. Its a replacement IC thats fitted into a socket thats is soldered onto the PCB. 'ScoobyECUs' now cost approximately £600 fitted and mapped (quoted only last week). An original ScoobyECU sells for approaching £400 in eBay now; and their parameters cant be altered to suit your car.....
Really ?????

Arn't you contradicting yourself here....How can a ScoobyECU be called 'not a remap in any respect' but then you go on to say 'ScoobyECUs' now cost approximately £600 fitted and mapped (quoted only last week).

If that isn't a re-map then I don't know what is.....
It is a remap of the standard ECU, it just needs alternative device to run the code and store the maps 9scoobyECU or pukka 27C1028 chip). The socket it uses on the main board is there for one reason only...re-mapping.

Also original ScoobyECU can be re-mapped to suite your car if the devices used are not OTP (One Time Programmable) i.e the are EEPROM (erased electrically) or EPROM (erased by exposing to UV light).

Out of the 100+ I've suppled I think I only used 1 OTP set (but only because Farnell sent me the wrong blank devices).
I also think that Paul and David used to use EEPROM.

Last edited by Scott.T; 02 October 2005 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02 October 2005, 10:43 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Scott; ffs, you know very well what I mean! The second product that Ive described is called 'ScoobyECU' by the people supplying it (because its similar in principle to the well-known original); but it isnt a ScoobyECU, notice that one is in inverted commas.... Whether the IC can be erased or not isnt the issue.

How much did original ScoobyECUs sell for? I was quoted eight times as much recently (for a product described as a 'ScoobyECU') and whilst I appreciate that these products are fitted and then mapped to suit I dont think that they offer anything like the value that an A'PEXi PowerFC can for a shade over £150 more

Simon
Old 02 October 2005, 10:47 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Location: Down South to Ooop North to Back Down South again!!

Bought mine originally for £50 (Cheers Scott ) & sold it recently for £350 to buy an Apexi Power FC.

Now that's a profit margin LOL

MAFFA
Old 02 October 2005, 10:49 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Twelve times then; I was quoted £75 originally but by the time Id made my mind up no-one could supply me with one.....
Old 02 October 2005, 11:15 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

I got a VOS chip (aussie version of scoobyecu) for 110 quid then later paid about 400 quid for scoobyecu mapped to car.

The mapper for the scoobyecu used Det-cans only (mainly through lack of time (my fault) and also lack of a rolling road where we were) but I can go back to him any time and get my map altered as I see fit (so far for free). I have had the boost reduced a tad and also the timing set back 2 degress since the original map. I have had to rely on my own knocklink and experience to provide the information about changes I wanted. He said I could buy the Eprom writer for 250 quid and this would allow me to alter the map myslef as much as I wanted. I have since put in a larger IC so I should see him again LOL.

If I did it all again I would get an A'PEXi PowerFC through Andy Forrest, but quite happy with what I got for about 1/2 the price.

I was quoted only 350 for a mapped scooby ecu only 6 months ago.

The original scooby ecu was a generic map and I would not use one of those simply because my car is a wagon with a higher ratio of cylinder compression. Therefore the 75 quid or 100 quid original price is irrevelant.
Old 03 October 2005, 08:22 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

The only reasons I sell them on Ebay are :

1. A good return (an to be honest the price 2-3 years ago was a bargain, and many said that alot more could be charged for them).
2. I can pick and choose when I want to sell (rather then replying to a bombardment of emails).
3. It's 'fairly' hassle free., although not entirley.

Believe me, I've had alot of hassle over the years and 99.9999999% of the time it has had nothing to do with the chip. But an underlying issue with the car that the improved map has highlighted. I even had one guy that was running with the diagnostic connectors permamnently connected and running 0.6bar. Needless to say plugging the chip in made no difference, until he disconnected the connectors

If every map/customer was easy, then every mapper would charge alot less.
More often then not it's the customer/car that's the problem.

P.S I'm not selling for £250 - £400 on Ebay. Start price is always £60. It's the demand that pushed the price up (but hey!! thats Ebay).
Old 03 October 2005, 10:36 AM
Stiver3
Scooby Regular

Location: Braintree - 321BHP, 285Lbft-Perfect Standard' Ish STi Ver. III

Hi mate
I've the same car as you, but not an RA, and made 320Hp & 280Lbft, with de-cat & dawes.
Looked into getting torque up like you, and the best option to get more torque, was to do headers, up pipe and remap. Just a remap on its own may help, and the same with altering your boost a little.
Buts its only figures at the end of the day, so if you like the way it drives etc....i wouldnt bother.
Old 03 October 2005, 08:11 PM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Stiver3
Hi mate
I've the same car as you, but not an RA, and made 320Hp & 280Lbft, with de-cat & dawes.
Looked into getting torque up like you, and the best option to get more torque, was to do headers, up pipe and remap. Just a remap on its own may help, and the same with altering your boost a little.
Buts its only figures at the end of the day, so if you like the way it drives etc....i wouldnt bother.
im still thinking bout the remap, e-mail andy f about the apexi ecu, gona wait for his reply and if i can afford it i think i probably will, but you're right the car is absolutely ballistic as it is.....
Old 03 October 2005, 08:24 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I think that Andy Forrest has been busy today.....
Old 03 October 2005, 08:26 PM
Stiver3
Scooby Regular

Location: Braintree - 321BHP, 285Lbft-Perfect Standard' Ish STi Ver. III

Originally Posted by R4LLY
im still thinking bout the remap, e-mail andy f about the apexi ecu, gona wait for his reply and if i can afford it i think i probably will, but you're right the car is absolutely ballistic as it is.....
Let me know how you get on if you can....would like to see how you got on!

Have fun...!
Old 12 October 2005, 11:55 PM
R4LLY
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Stiver3
Let me know how you get on if you can....would like to see how you got on!

Have fun...!
Andy F replied, said my turbo was getting to its max so cudnt expect more den a 10bhp oncrease but the main increase will be in the mid range torque- just what i wanted!.... so gona wait and see when he can book me in......
Old 13 October 2005, 12:06 AM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

You won't be dissapointed! Andy fitted and mapped the Apexi PFC to my scoob last year and it as been the best cash I've spent on the car so far (and I've spent a lot!). Andy know's his stuff - you are in good hands.