Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone please explain . . .

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2005, 12:49 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Can someone please explain . . .

Hi everyone . . .Could someone please explain . . .

Strangest thing happened to me . . Was driving home one evening . .Got to the traffic lights in my blue rocket . .(265 bhp WRX 300) . .Next to me some infirm geezer in a MErc E320, quite keen to race me . . So I think to my self - " Sure . .This will be a piece of p*ss . .Dispose of him in no time " . .

Well . . .Next thing I know , to my shock and horror, the light turns green, and I go 1st gear redline, second gear redline and he's still on my near side . . .Only in third gear, which I think is the torquiest do I start to lose him . . Jeez I think to myself . . How did that happen .

Look . .I know we may not have the worlds fastest car, but an E320 is hardly an M3 . .Have any of you ever been cained by a heavy saloon . .If so which ones to look out for . . .
Old 30 September 2005, 12:54 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

fast ones
Old 30 September 2005, 12:57 PM
alwong
Scooby Regular

Talking

Any that stays with you or goes past you. Mainly down to the driver with any car.
Old 30 September 2005, 12:58 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alwong
Any that stays with you or goes past you. Mainly down to the driver with any car.
Good thinking Batman!
Old 30 September 2005, 01:01 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

chipped me thinks, might be an infirm looking chap but is probably clued up about the acceleration of a Scoob so is only going to go into battle if he thinks he has a chance.

I sincerely hope that this thread is not going to turn into a 'the scooby is not a fast car, my mates 1.1Nova can cain a bug eye wrx' thread
Old 30 September 2005, 01:02 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

was a 320CDi? they push out about 220 as standard and probably about 260bhp chipped, if you factor inthe torque whoosh
Old 30 September 2005, 01:03 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

It was probably an auto, so he only had to plant his foot to the floor, and even in a slower auto it's surprising who quickly you get to 30/40mph. That or it was an E55 AMG in diguise!!!

Last edited by Luckyscoob; 30 September 2005 at 01:06 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 30 September 2005, 01:09 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by WRX300MAN
Hi everyone . . .Could someone please explain . . .

Strangest thing happened to me . . Was driving home one evening . .Got to the traffic lights in my blue rocket . .(265 bhp WRX 300) . .Next to me some infirm geezer in a MErc E320, quite keen to race me . . So I think to my self - " Sure . .This will be a piece of p*ss . .Dispose of him in no time " . .

Well . . .Next thing I know , to my shock and horror, the light turns green, and I go 1st gear redline, second gear redline and he's still on my near side . . .Only in third gear, which I think is the torquiest do I start to lose him . . Jeez I think to myself . . How did that happen .

Look . .I know we may not have the worlds fastest car, but an E320 is hardly an M3 . .Have any of you ever been cained by a heavy saloon . .If so which ones to look out for . . .
You didn't lanch properly! An Scooby will duck under 2 secs to 30 if launched correctly. Game over, unless you find yourself up against another scooby or Evo. Problem is a lot of people get boged down and its that momentary pause for the turbo to kick in that really matters at take off.

BTW don't bother with the traffic light grand prix. Everyone wants to try it on and its only a matter of time before you hurt the car, or a policeman witnesses your antics and gives you some points for your efforts! Let em get on with it. The other day I had a Citroen diesel people carrier pull up next to me reving his engine. I just laughed. He tore off -I'm sure very proud of himself- that he'd "done" a scooby off the lights... the fact that the scooby driver was, in point of fact, taking off at the green light, not getting the car into the turbo threshold and -above all else- TURNING LEFT seemed insignificant against the din of a chorus of:

"WAN*ER" that emminated from some passers by!

NS04
Old 30 September 2005, 01:38 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Angry What cheek!

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
You didn't lanch properly! An Scooby will duck under 2 secs to 30 if launched correctly. Game over, unless you find yourself up against another scooby or Evo. Problem is a lot of people get boged down and its that momentary pause for the turbo to kick in that really matters at take off.

BTW don't bother with the traffic light grand prix. Everyone wants to try it on and its only a matter of time before you hurt the car, or a policeman witnesses your antics and gives you some points for your efforts! Let em get on with it. The other day I had a Citroen diesel people carrier pull up next to me reving his engine. I just laughed. He tore off -I'm sure very proud of himself- that he'd "done" a scooby off the lights... the fact that the scooby driver was, in point of fact, taking off at the green light, not getting the car into the turbo threshold and -above all else- TURNING LEFT seemed insignificant against the din of a chorus of:

"WAN*ER" that emminated from some passers by!

NS04
Yes . .I see yr point . .I was a little slow off the start . . .And yes . .The police recently did reward my efforts by pulling me over and not only giving me a b*llocking for my valiant efforts, but most humiliating of all decided that I was a drug dealer, and decided to search me and the scoob for drugs. . I know that in some circles the scoob is stereotyped as a ""Drug dealers car"", but that really took the biscuit . . .I told them - " Constable - this is not something I"m in to" but they did not want to know . . .Generally a very humiliating experience! If I really was the wrong side of the law, I would reccomend they scramble a helicopter . . .

It was really tempting to say when asked " You know why we're pulling you over" . . to say " Is it because yr blue lights match my paintwork?
Old 30 September 2005, 01:49 PM
New_scooby_04

Yes . .I see yr point . .I was a little slow off the start . . .And yes . .The police recently did reward my efforts by pulling me over and not only giving me a b*llocking for my valiant efforts, but most humiliating of all decided that I was a drug dealer, and decided to search me and the scoob for drugs. . I know that in some circles the scoob is stereotyped as a ""Drug dealers car"", but that really took the biscuit . . .I told them - " Constable - this is not something I"m in to" but they did not want to know . . .Generally a very humiliating experience! If I really was the wrong side of the law, I would reccomend they scramble a helicopter . . .

It was really tempting to say when asked " You know why we're pulling you over" . . to say " Is it because yr blue lights match my paintwork?
That would have been a good response!!

It's that delay that makes all the difference at launch- as its the launch and the dash to about 60 where the jap rice rockets are most formidable. I promise you -especially if you have the PPP pack on your WRX- had you launched properly, the Merc would have been a distant memory. I have friends with all manner of sports cars, Elises, M3s, A TVR and they all say the same thing after I take them for a spin in the Scooby.

"Shiiit this thing gets its power down well doesn't it!?!" Even the TVR, which is a monster when rolling -and would make mincemeat of most Scoobies and Evos- would not get the drop on a well lanched rice rocket off the lights....just too much traction!

Autocar did a 0-100-0 test a few years back and a STi and Evo did something like a 1.4 to 30. They timed an f1 car and calculated that the jap cars were faster off the mark untill about 27mph by which time the F1 car found its traction and, well, you know what would happen then!!

NS04
Old 30 September 2005, 03:11 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Probably a un-badged AMG......did you see how many exhaust pipes it had, often a give-away?
Old 30 September 2005, 03:14 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you get out of your car at the lights and look under his bonnet to see what he had?

Paul - How you doing mate?
Old 30 September 2005, 03:27 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Sure it wasn't a 1.1 Nova in disguise? I've heard those are much faster than any Scoob
Old 30 September 2005, 03:30 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Did you get out of your car at the lights and look under his bonnet to see what he had?

Paul - How you doing mate?
If he did, that certainly might explain why it was close Although I was once challenged by a E300, I waited for Amber, got out of the car, wolf whistled a passing pretty lady, lifted my bonnet, checked the oil, removed two spark plugs, closed the bonnet, got back in the car put it in fourth, took off.....and I still won!

Hey Rich, I'm doing good mate! How are you. Overworked and underpaid as usual (although the latter may have something to do with the car), not been on mupets in a while....trying to keep my posts as constructive as possible! Your efforts for charity have been most impressive I must say. That Microsoft (?) Challenge sounded pretty gruelling! Did you ever get around to that parachute jump for charity I had my Binoculars on the ready!

I'll dip my hhead in the shark pool and see if I can find ya soon!

NS04
Old 30 September 2005, 04:09 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanslow
Sure it wasn't a 1.1 Nova in disguise? I've heard those are much faster than any Scoob
It was probably LCR in disguise, oops now I've done it.

Being serious WRX300Man, did you get to see the forlorn look on said coffin dodgers face after you cained him?

That admittedly is the best part of thrashing someone.
Old 30 September 2005, 04:45 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats what my local plod are like, if I stop kinda means I'e got nothing to hide. If I floor it I'm long gone before the Copter is out
Old 30 September 2005, 05:36 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Varboy
It was probably LCR in disguise, oops now I've done it.

Being serious WRX300Man, did you get to see the forlorn look on said coffin dodgers face after you cained him?

That admittedly is the best part of thrashing someone.
No . .Unfortunately not . .But gave me a run for the money! Bastad!
Old 30 September 2005, 05:38 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Thats what my local plod are like, if I stop kinda means I'e got nothing to hide. If I floor it I'm long gone before the Copter is out
Yes . .But we must remember, if you pay peenuts, you get monkeys working for you!
Old 30 September 2005, 05:38 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the copter comment !!
yes , of course you are