ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Impreza 2.0 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2005, 07:05 PM
D7-AMG
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impreza 2.0 Sport

Looking at buying one of these, circa V reg for the missus (2.0, non turbo model).

I know bugger all about Subaru's, so just wondering if some of you more knowledgeable types can answer a couple of questions:

1) Any major bodywork weaknesses (obviously I know to look out for repair work etc)

2) Any reliability problems with these engines, or are they pretty much bulletproof?

3) What kinda power do these kick out?

Best Regards

Steve
Old 28 September 2005, 08:12 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Well if I say mines done 183k miles with no probs, and not a bit of rust on it either, that says something about them.

Its now done 185k miles but now needs an engine rebuild cos of the cobra security caused an overfuelling problem.

There is also lots of info at forum
Old 28 September 2005, 08:33 PM
D7-AMG
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Simon.

Going to take a look at one later this week. What's the performance of them like? I don't want something that's going to be really fast (hence why I am not going for a Turbo one) as my missus thinks her BMW 316i is too fast but also don't want something that's too slow as I will be driving it at times as well.
Old 28 September 2005, 08:48 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

You won't be buying 1 for its performance I can assure you of that. 0 - 60 is about 10 seconds. Your the first person that wasn't a slower car

Petrol consumption isn't too bad, if you expect somewhere between 32 - 36 combined you won't be far off, about 28 around town.

1 thing I did find out is that the turbo bucket seats are more comfortable than standard sport seats.

Other than that, they are good fun in the corners and when it snows, you will be the only 1 in work, I was
Old 28 September 2005, 09:23 PM
D7-AMG
Scooby Newbie

The 316i is sluggish as hell, 0-60 in about 12 seconds and even then it takes ages to get any faster. Suits the missus down to the ground though. I've got an M3 at the moment (same shape as the 316i which is an R reg, the M3 being an N reg) - im sure the Impreza will be quicker than the 316.

I did have a CL55 AMG briefly (which is where my username comes from - I work for the management at Mercedes UK so am entitled to a new company car ever 6 months) - personally, i'd never buy a Merc as long as I live. The CL55 spent more time getting repaired at the dealers I was visiting than on the road - so I opted out of the company car thing
Old 28 September 2005, 09:29 PM
RB5 69
Scooby Regular

While its not a particularly fast car on paper, it feels a lot faster than the figures suggest, particulary in the corners!! .... very safe too!
Old 28 September 2005, 10:25 PM
D7-AMG
Scooby Newbie

Yeah i've heard positive things about the handling of them - whilst my wife is not an enthusiastic driver, she still appreciates a car than can handle

Never know, if i'm impressed by the handling of this, I might consider a Turbo model when I come to replace the M3 - probably a bug eye model though as I quite like them

Thanks for the info anyway guys; much appreciated.

Steve
Old 28 September 2005, 10:39 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

0-60 is about 8.7 depending on filter and zort choice.
128 BHP standard if my memory serves and I loved mine to bit. BUT I always wanted the Turbo so...
Old 29 September 2005, 08:33 AM
danwrx1980
Scooby Regular

i had a sport when i was 19, and have recently upgraded to the bug eye wrx.
loved my sport to bits, and rb5 is right they do feel a lot faster, and they seem to accelerate faster than other cars (prob coz the awd gives good grip).
my second fave ever car! my bug eye is first!
can't recomend the sport enough, looking at one for my missus.
Old 29 September 2005, 11:34 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D7-AMG
The 316i is sluggish as hell, 0-60 in about 12 seconds and even then it takes ages to get any faster. Suits the missus down to the ground though. I've got an M3 at the moment (same shape as the 316i which is an R reg, the M3 being an N reg) - im sure the Impreza will be quicker than the 316.

I did have a CL55 AMG briefly (which is where my username comes from - I work for the management at Mercedes UK so am entitled to a new company car ever 6 months) - personally, i'd never buy a Merc as long as I live. The CL55 spent more time getting repaired at the dealers I was visiting than on the road - so I opted out of the company car thing
Firstly, why by a Sport when there are many other cars out there that are a lot better... sorry chaps, but there are.

Secondly, bet your management would love to hear you say that. You work for the 'management' at Mercedes yet you'd never buy a Merc as long as you live... damn, I'm glad you don't work for my company with lovely comments from a supposed 'management' level person.... what a great loyal employer you must be!
Old 29 September 2005, 12:25 PM
D7-AMG
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by mightyyid
Firstly, why by a Sport when there are many other cars out there that are a lot better... sorry chaps, but there are.
Maybe there are; but then, I won't know until I've tried one will I

Secondly, bet your management would love to hear you say that. You work for the 'management' at Mercedes yet you'd never buy a Merc as long as you live... damn, I'm glad you don't work for my company with lovely comments from a supposed 'management' level person.... what a great loyal employer you must be!
Working for a company does not mean you have to buy their products. Which is what I said. I happen to prefer other marque cars to Mercedes, simply because my experience with them as company cars, has been bad. Just because I work for a company doesn't mean I have to blatantly lie about their products; I aren't the first person from Merc to say it!#

But, as I said, that is my opinion on Mercedes products. It is my experience and because I work for them doesn't mean I have to be biased about their products. I know plenty of people who have had thousands of hassle free miles in their Mercedes; it just so happens the 3 company cars I had all spent alot of time being repaired.
Old 29 September 2005, 12:37 PM
RB5 69
Scooby Regular

Working for a company does not mean you have to buy their products. Which is what I said. I happen to prefer other marque cars to Mercedes, simply because my experience with them as company cars, has been bad. Just because I work for a company doesn't mean I have to blatantly lie about their products; I aren't the first person from Merc to say it!#

But, as I said, that is my opinion on Mercedes products. It is my experience and because I work for them doesn't mean I have to be biased about their products. I know plenty of people who have had thousands of hassle free miles in their Mercedes; it just so happens the 3 company cars I had all spent alot of time being repaired.
Quite right mate!!

No matter what you buy, there will always be something better!!

The sports also have a huge following. I recently sold my 4 pot calipers to a sport owner (one of the last spec. ed. ones) .... he loves it and has done a fair bit to it .... brakes, wheels, exhaust etc.
Old 29 September 2005, 03:12 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

But, as I said, that is my opinion on Mercedes products. It is my experience and because I work for them doesn't mean I have to be biased about their products. I know plenty of people who have had thousands of hassle free miles in their Mercedes; it just so happens the 3 company cars I had all spent a lot of time being repaired.
Fair enough - but as the thread and question was about a Sport, you suddenly drop in how Mercedes are basically awful cars. There is a substantial difference between buying their products and supposedly being in a management role and slating the company you work for and everyone of their products. So, one bad experience of a CL is enough to slate the whole company eh? Interesting philosophy - may I ask why you still work there if all their products are that bad.

I do not dispute you have had problems - just why you felt you needed to air your grievances in an unrelated forum when you supposedly have a level of responsibility. I just find that very very strange...

Are you sure you weren't at the German Grand Prix the other year having a walk on the track to state your feelings?
Old 29 September 2005, 03:18 PM
Scooby-doo97
Scooby Regular

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Fair enough - but as the thread and question was about a Sport, you suddenly drop in how Mercedes are basically awful cars. There is a substantial difference between buying their products and supposedly being in a management role and slating the company you work for and everyone of their products. So, one bad experience of a CL is enough to slate the whole company eh? Interesting philosophy - may I ask why you still work there if all their products are that bad.

I do not dispute you have had problems - just why you felt you needed to air your grievances in an unrelated forum when you supposedly have a level of responsibility. I just find that very very strange...

Are you sure you weren't at the German Grand Prix the other year having a walk on the track to state your feelings?
Do you also work for Mercedes? Leave the guy alone!
Old 29 September 2005, 03:42 PM
Summers
Scooby Regular

Anyway, Enough of Mercedes basing and back to the topic. We bought a sport special edition for my missus a couple of months back. (mainly because of costs for commuting in) She loves the car, handling, about right to 128 bhp without mods . Hope this helps.
Old 29 September 2005, 04:15 PM
RB5 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Summers
Anyway, Enough of Mercedes basing and back to the topic.
I think the comment about Mercedes was just a comment and nothing really to do with the post .... the remarks that then followed are just another example of why I rarely venture onto Scoobynet nowadays!!
Old 29 September 2005, 04:26 PM
ibz2004
Scooby Regular

Mighty relax your self. Seems as though youv got a chip on your shoulder. Forums are about opinions and everyone is entitled to one.
Old 29 September 2005, 05:25 PM
RB5 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ibz2004
Mighty relax your self. Seems as though youv got a chip on your shoulder. Forums are about opinions and everyone is entitled to one.
.... and another!!

Big difference between opinions and what basically amounts to a verbal attack. The guys made a simple comment in his post only to be verbally abused by another member .... if people cant be constructive and "friendly" in their replies then they should keep their opinions to themselves!! .... knocked the chip off now!

Last edited by RB5 69; 29 September 2005 at 05:36 PM.
Old 29 September 2005, 07:26 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

Well, everyone seems to find you very strange!
Old 29 September 2005, 09:33 PM
D7-AMG
Scooby Newbie

So, one bad experience of a CL is enough to slate the whole company eh?
Not one bad experience; the E320CDi I had had a total electrical shutdown and then the C220 that replaced it blew an engine at 27k.

The A-Class my colleague had needed a full rear suspension overhaul at 13k and i've seen various gearbox failures on ML320's at pretty low mileages; this is where my opinion comes from.

So, why do I still work there? Because it's a f*cking good job that has (IMO) a good salary. Having worked in Ford, Toyota & Jaguar dealerships over the years, this one is the best i've had - i'm just not a fan of their products.

It's like somebody working for Birds Eye and not liking their Chicken Curry. Should their management sack them, simply because they prefer the Chicken Curry of another manufacturer? And then letting on this fact to a friend (who might prefer the Birds Eye one?) Same thing really.

Anyway back on topic. Found 2 more Sports in the Autotrader tonight so will ring them up tomorrow and see about going to view them
Old 29 September 2005, 10:40 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

www.imprezasport.net

There will be a few for sale on there, good site for Sport specific advice too. They're pretty well bullet proof if serviced correctly. The paint work is a bit feeble and succeptible to stone chips on the bonnet, other than that the body should be very good.