Sponsored by:

WRX STi versus WRX PPP ?

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2005, 11:34 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX STi versus WRX PPP ?

Anyone driven both in blobeye version, and can explain the differences in drive, power and handling, and how the power delivery differed due to the 6 speed box in the STi ?

Comments and comparisons appreciated...............
Old 27 September 2005, 10:11 AM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Anybody ?
Old 27 September 2005, 11:26 AM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

If you can afford sti go sti but get ppp. if you cant you WONT be dissapointed with wrx ppp
Old 27 September 2005, 12:42 PM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

the differences between wrx and sti is much more than just pace.

i was lookin at wrx ppp, but drove a sti ppp and was blown away!
Old 27 September 2005, 03:10 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

i wanted the STI, didnt drive it as i know i would have bought one,

I like the looks of the WRX over the STI sometimes, people often over look the WRX and can go un noticed when driven normaly, where as my mate with his STI, everytime he goes out, every tom dick n harry wants to race it.

on saying that, i would take the STI if i had the money.

Im guessing, but i would imagine there is quite a big difference between an WRX ppp and an STI without ppp. 6 speed box, suspension and probably most important would be the brakes, mine are great, standard 4 pots, but with the bigger disks on the STI, they have to be a notch up again
Old 27 September 2005, 04:14 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

My mates dad has a MY04 STi and I have a MY04 WRX, His car is standard and I have a decat midsection and backbox, I was behind him a couple of weeks ago and he tried beat me from the lights and onto the dual carrigeway, both cars where about the same, and hardly anything in it upto around 70mph . But I would rather have the STi as its easier to get more BHP out of it then on my WRX, and the 6 speed box is stronger.
Old 27 September 2005, 04:58 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your replies Gents.

I should`ve probably clarified when I originally posted, but I already have a WRX with PPP, but, as you do, I`m now starting to think about an STi, and just wondered how the two compared.

Cheers.

(BTW, I was warned that this "interest" in an STi may start to develop, once I`d had my WRX PPP`d )
Old 27 September 2005, 08:40 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Standard STi - harder suspension, better brakes, much more turbo lag and annoyingly narrow/peaky power band IMHO. The later ones with the DCCD in particular handle better. WRX PPP - softer suspension for arguably nicer ride but slower cornering, smaller brakes, much better power band as the turbo spools up a lot earlier and holds on just as far.

If it comes to tuning them or plain ultimate pace e.g. on a trackday, the STi is unquestionably better. The gearbox and ancilliaries can take a lot more tuning before things break too. I you're wanting a daily driver and aren't prepared to modify the STi to sort out the power delivery, IMHO the WRX PPP with it's much nicer power band, and perfectly adequate handling/braking is IMHO a better car.
Old 27 September 2005, 10:03 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

I am expecting my bug-eye when remapped with exhaust and filter mods to actually be quicker in a straight line than an STi, as it will have as much power and a wider power band. Anybody disagree with this?

(Off topic and as a note - I have Eibach Pro-Kit with full geometry and DS2500 pads so wondering if perhaps I could keep up with an STi in the twisties too).
Old 27 September 2005, 10:19 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dexter
Thanks for your replies Gents.

I should`ve probably clarified when I originally posted, but I already have a WRX with PPP, but, as you do, I`m now starting to think about an STi, and just wondered how the two compared.

Cheers.

(BTW, I was warned that this "interest" in an STi may start to develop, once I`d had my WRX PPP`d )
Hi Dexter,

I've driven both and the like general comments go the WRX PPP is good for day-to-day drivability. Unfortunatley the Sti I had a demo in had been abused somewhat plus I think they had the lower octane fuel in so it didn't seem to easy to drive slow (jerky i mean). Once I got going the thing was mental.. (this is the standard Sti). The seats are also good as they stop you from slidding about when you belt it round corners

I can tell you for a fact as some other dude has quoted that the 6 speed box feels way stronger in the Sti than the WRX.

I've been looking to shove some more power out of my WRX but obviously you can't go too crazy in case something breaks .. and we don't want that. I can't bring myself to trade mine in for an upgrade as its so mint

If your finances look healthy I would trade up and go for the Sti, lets face it, you won't be happy until you do

-F
Old 27 September 2005, 10:32 PM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

I agree with Hades. If you want a raw car then a STi it has to be, but make sure it is what you want. My wife drives a 04 WRX SL PPP with STi wing, PFF7's, Prodrive springs and gearshift, front + rear STi Brembo's. The car is superb in virtually most ways (it could do with a little more power when the warranty is up), and has been for the 16 months we have owned it.

I was recently asked to look over a 2003 Blobeye STi that was being traded in. I went in to the car park to find an immaculate Black 2003 STi that had the lettering on it changed to gold (matching the wheels), had been de-tango'ed, and upon climbing in, found it was still very fresh with only 22K on it. I then started it up, ran it around the local industrial estate, and then a quick blast up the motorway. All I can say is thank god I didn't buy a STi for my family to travel in. The car was harsh to drive, had only the same or possibly slightly less power, and in general was nowhere near as nice to drive as my wife's car. The only upside I can see to the ownership, is the ability to turn this into far more than how it is supplied as standard. I asked the owner why he was changing it, his reply was "It's just too extreme, I'm sick of seeing my young children bouncing around the back seat". What sadly did he change it for - A Mercedes Benz C180 Kompressor Sport Edition.
Old 28 September 2005, 12:36 AM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Some very interesting and contrasting views there Gents, and thanks to all of you for your input.

It looks like I`m going to have to get myself a drive in an STi, but I just know that when I do, I`ll probably want one, and seeing as I bought my WRX new only 5 months ago, the depreciation is really going to hurt.

They`re a funny thing though the Scoobs, as I was initially sure that I would be oh-so-satisfied with the standard WRX, but then I started coming on here, found out a bit more about them, got the bug etc, etc....and wanted more power.

So, of course, I got it PPP`d, and the power now really is quite something else, but then you start to think about the tighter handling on the STi, and then picking up an STi with PPP................so where does it end ?

I guess it`s with something mental, (and not really attainable to us mere mortals) like Andy F`s monster power output.

Why the hell didn`t somebody tell me, when I first came on here, how bloody addictive these Scoobies really are ?

Shame on you, the lot of yer................

No, but seriously, thanks again for the advice, I shall ponder.................yet again !
Old 10 October 2005, 08:48 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Just to continue this one, today I drove a My05 STi ppp, I currently drive a standard (apart from prodrive rear box), MY04 WRX SL.

The big plus point is obviously the power, it didnt seem to matter what gear I was in, the thing just pulled and pulled. Cornering and braking are also in another class. The car feels so stable at any speed.

Downsides, I seemed to be changing gear all the time and at 80mph in 6th the car still rev'd at 3000rpm, same as the wrx. The noise levels are surprising, i wouldn't want to do too many long journeys.

What surprised me most was that getting back into my WRX afterwards, it didnt feel slow, as i imagined it would.

For shear grin factor there is no doubt that the sti ppp is a superb car, but I now need to drive a WRX ppp as I think that will give me the compromise i'm looking for.
Old 10 October 2005, 09:07 PM
bluepolarbear
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dexter
Anyone driven both in blobeye version, and can explain the differences in drive, power and handling, and how the power delivery differed due to the 6 speed box in the STi ?

Comments and comparisons appreciated...............
It terms of driving ability the STI outperforms the WRX in every respect except it in a drag race where there is nothing in it.

It is more hardcore, less practical, more expensive - its more of a "race" car than the WRX.

It will still on the limit longer and harder than the WRX.

You take your pick and pays your money