Sponsored by:

driving advice?

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2005, 05:23 PM
tonner_notts
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driving advice?

so i pick my new wrx up tomorrow, any driving advice i should take note off?
as i have never driven a 4wd car before,
with the elise i was worned of pulling out of roundabouts to quickly and t junctions such as turning right and using high revs as this would cause the back end to push out, and if i was to take the foot off the accelarator cause the car to spin etc, any advice or cautions i should take with the way the scooby drives handles etc?
Old 21 September 2005, 05:28 PM
richee
Scooby Regular

just to take it easy. u think u can never crash these things cos they go round the bends so good. as i learnt the hard way a few years ago.
Old 21 September 2005, 05:48 PM
tonner_notts
Scooby Regular

well thought that about the elise as there is not much that can go round corners better without paying supercar money, but still took it steady till i knew the car better,
so is the scooby like driving a fwd car then but with better grip etc as its 4wd? say im going to quick round the corner and the back end goes, can i just let off the gas or will it jump up and bite me in the *** like the elise would
Old 21 September 2005, 05:55 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

The elise is a superb handling car but can catch even an experienced driver- especially in the wet. Very light and quite 'lively'. lovely drivers car but can be tricky on the limit.

An Impreza is a completely different matter; in stock form they are a crap handling car that grips well. Once you run out of grip you have a problem unless you are either a) very experienced or b) very lucky.

They can make a crap driver feel good, and a good driver feel immortal- take it easy and learn the handling characteristics of the car, and spend some cash on driver improvement before modding it as it will inevitably be money well spent.
Old 21 September 2005, 06:06 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Rev the ***** off it and then dump the clutch = New gearbox !

Fantastic grip that encourages you to go faster, but be carefull they can
bite, and hard.

Enjoy your new ride bud

Rob
Old 21 September 2005, 06:16 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by tonner_notts
well thought that about the elise as there is not much that can go round corners better without paying supercar money, but still took it steady till i knew the car better,
so is the scooby like driving a fwd car then but with better grip etc as its 4wd? say im going to quick round the corner and the back end goes, can i just let off the gas or will it jump up and bite me in the *** like the elise would
It'll bite! Any car will if sufficiently provoked in this fashion as you're transfering weight to the front wheels suddenly and making the back go light. 4WD Traction is only really an advantage when you're seeking to get the power down, so it can be used as a means to get out of a slide. I wouldn't reccommend getting into a situation where you'd need to do this on the public road. You'll have a lot of fun operating within the Scooby's broad envelope of grip and traction without risking life and limb. IMHO the scooby responds best to the RWD slow(ish) in fast out approach.

While you're getting used to the car just be progressive with the inputs especially the throttle. Remember that the boost arriving when the car is in a corner can push the car into understeer. If you don't go mad, the car will tell you where the limits are before you get to speeds where lifting off will induce a brown trouser moment.

They are forgiving cars, but they are not -as some of the media would have you believe- fool proof, nor can they defy the laws of physics. At the end of the day, you answer to Sir Newton......

And he ALWAYS wins!

Enjoy it, but be careful!

NS04
NS04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 21 September 2005 at 06:20 PM.
Old 22 September 2005, 01:25 AM
dexter
Scooby Regular

They are forgiving cars, but they are not -as some of the media would have you believe- fool proof, nor can they defy the laws of physics. At the end of the day, you answer to Sir Newton......

And he ALWAYS wins!
I really like that bit..............well pointed out.
Old 22 September 2005, 01:29 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I have much more faith going into corners with speed in my scooby, than i did in my elise.

Prob down to driver skill though - lacking in the elise
Old 22 September 2005, 01:35 AM
andy_scouser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
I have much more faith going into corners with speed in my scooby, than i did in my elise.

Prob down to driver skill though - lacking in the elise
If in doubt nail it is the only advice for a 4wd car. It really depends on the model of car you are getting. Get some really good suspension on the go, Prodrive/Whiteline etc. my prodrived/whiteline suspensioned sti is awsome and adds speed over the best classic I have had (also grpN prodrive car)... its almost silly!
ensure you have good tyres.
The car will not feel as quick as your elise, but it will be....oh yes