Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speeding fine on Rally GB - Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2005, 03:49 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Speeding fine on Rally GB - Advice please.

Well,

My car was zapped by the police scamera van on the bridge over the M4, between junction 34 Miskin and junction 35 Pencoed at 07:58 on the 18/9/05. 86mph in a 70mph limit on the way to Margam.

Just mine and three other cars using that bit of motorway at that time in the morning, the van was parked on the far right hand side of the bridge over a long sweeping right hander with the camera poking out of the side window.

Got a N.I.P. today.

No previous points or convictions, so I'm doubly gutted. Wonder how much an SP50 will affect my insurance? Anyone else had similar? What sort of fine and points am I looking at, assuming it was me driving?

Last edited by v8voodoo; 21 September 2005 at 03:59 PM.
Old 21 September 2005, 04:27 PM
monty baber
Scooby Regular

You cannot be too carefull up that way on Rally weekend, lots of cameras and every gatso must be stacked with film, I got done in Caerphilly in 2001 in the early hours on my way back to the hotel from Cardiff special stages.

It was a dual carriageway, downhill, no signs that I could see informing me of the speed limit so I slowed right down for a camera and 'flash' 48 in a 40, 3 points and £60,

bugger

What annoys me is this November my license is clean but every ins co I ring asks for convictions in the last 5 yrs
Old 21 September 2005, 04:31 PM
Wmscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by v8voodoo
Well,

My car was zapped by the police scamera van on the bridge over the M4, between junction 34 Miskin and junction 35 Pencoed at 07:58 on the 18/9/05. 86mph in a 70mph limit on the way to Margam.

Just mine and three other cars using that bit of motorway at that time in the morning, the van was parked on the far right hand side of the bridge over a long sweeping right hander with the camera poking out of the side window.

Got a N.I.P. today.

No previous points or convictions, so I'm doubly gutted. Wonder how much an SP50 will affect my insurance? Anyone else had similar? What sort of fine and points am I looking at, assuming it was me driving?
Guess i was lucky then we travelled to Margam the night before never saw any cameras then. Margam was nice and warm overnight!!

RIP "beef"
Old 21 September 2005, 04:34 PM
Wmscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by monty baber
You cannot be too carefull up that way on Rally weekend, lots of cameras and every gatso must be stacked with film, I got done in Caerphilly in 2001 in the early hours on my way back to the hotel from Cardiff special stages.

It was a dual carriageway, downhill, no signs that I could see informing me of the speed limit so I slowed right down for a camera and 'flash' 48 in a 40, 3 points and £60,

bugger

What annoys me is this November my license is clean but every ins co I ring asks for convictions in the last 5 yrs
Exactly, just because they come off after 4 years there still on you ******* insurance!!!!grrr

Country obsessed with damn speed cameras

Twice now ive got done 60 in a 50 and 40 in a 30 BOTH times having a sneezing fit cause i suffer with hayfever
The first time by speed gun and even the copper said you get hayfever dont you, but still did me !!!!!

Oh well, soldier on but will never buy or become reliant on a snooper or a road angel

Mark
Old 21 September 2005, 04:42 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Well,

Got a N.I.P. today.

We saw that guy setting up as we passed under a few minutes earlier, he didn't have the van door open then.

They nailed me for 84mph 2 years ago along that stretch, SP50, 3 points and £60 fixed penalty. It didn't make any difference to my insurance price as it's the only 3 points I have at the moment (currently - unless I have some coming in the post).

Bad luck.
Old 21 September 2005, 04:47 PM
monty baber
Scooby Regular

Oh well, soldier on but will never buy or become reliant on a snooper or a road angel
A friend has one, All its good for is an ASDA detector (apparently to do with the tills or doors) great if you are looking for somewhere to get a sarnie
Old 21 September 2005, 04:53 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

I got done in June this year (SP50 - 93mph) just short of Carisle on the M6. Nice empty part of the motorway. 3 points and £60.

Renewed my insurance two weeks ago and it made little or no difference to the insurance quotes. I don't know whether it was due to previously having a clean license?!
Old 21 September 2005, 04:53 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan
We saw that guy setting up as we passed under a few minutes earlier, he didn't have the van door open then.
Hate to say this, but..... he didn't have his door open when I passed under him either..!! :-O He got me through the open side window from what I could see at the record breaking speed of 86mph..!

You weren't the STi that I parked next to in Margam were you?

Last edited by v8voodoo; 21 September 2005 at 04:56 PM.
Old 21 September 2005, 04:57 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wmscooby
Twice now ive got done 60 in a 50 and 40 in a 30 BOTH times having a sneezing fit cause i suffer with hayfever
hmmmmm....

so you mean to tell us you're sitting there at the speed limit (50) and then sneeze (which is a split second) and in that split second you floor the accelerator all the way to 60mph?

I get hayfever and sneezing fits from time to time but this has never resulted in me flooring the throttle. Made me swerve all over the road mind
Old 21 September 2005, 05:58 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
hmmmmm....

so you mean to tell us you're sitting there at the speed limit (50) and then sneeze (which is a split second) and in that split second you floor the accelerator all the way to 60mph?

I get hayfever and sneezing fits from time to time but this has never resulted in me flooring the throttle. Made me swerve all over the road mind
That's because you've been poncing about in a S2000 for too long. If you had a car with some torque you'd find out how easily its done.

Old 21 September 2005, 06:24 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

I assume it was signposted for speed cameras?
Old 21 September 2005, 07:03 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

yeah, it's sign posted, there's two of um. He sits there all the time!!!!

I Moved over to west wales two years ago. and everytime I go to south wales or england he's up on that bridge. I got nicked for 96 last year by the little monkey (and I've got a garage door opener).

I don't mean to tell anyone to suck egg's but theres a reason the local's don't speed on the motorway or through the villages. Low crime rate and the coppers have nothing to do.

Another spot they are always at is on the bridge over the toll booths on the 2nd severn crossing. Just as you come into the 50 limit

3 points didn't increase my insurance but they did say if it was 6 up she goes
Old 21 September 2005, 07:06 PM
ZippyLane
Scooby Regular

Yep.. the barsteward is there most days, it catches you just as you come round the corner Westbound.. thankfully we've got wise to him.. sorry to hear your bad news..
Old 21 September 2005, 07:18 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

I'm expecting one from the same van.

I strictly stuck to the limit where I was aware. However, my speed gradually increased on that downhill stretch and before I knew it I was doing a little too much. I'm hoping they have the recommended 10% + 2mph margin in force.

I know a man who got caught by a Gatso - again no clear signs.
Old 21 September 2005, 07:21 PM
monty baber
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by highlander68k

I know a man who got caught by a Gatso - again no clear signs.
Mine was opposite the GE factory in Caerphilly, I was peaking to a friend from Swansea and he said that its a well known trap
Old 21 September 2005, 07:37 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver
That's because you've been poncing about in a S2000 for too long. If you had a car with some torque you'd find out how easily its done.
Oh, do get 'with it' Flatcapdriver, I sold my S2000 almost 2 years ago. Now got a Westfield and a 4.4 V8 7 series, both of which have more torque than a scoob would know what to do with

So that's a double to you
Old 21 September 2005, 07:39 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Hate to say this, but..... he didn't have his door open when I passed under him either..!! :-O He got me through the open side window from what I could see at the record breaking speed of 86mph..!

You weren't the STi that I parked next to in Margam were you?
I should hopefully be ok as:

a) my mate was driving his car that day.
b) matey was walking from the drivers side door to the back door of the van as we went under the bridge.

But I did drive on friday/saturday so it's quite possible I got dinged either of those days.

No, we were in my mates Pug 307HDi on sunday so it wasn't my STI you saw.