What's wrong with the Bug-eye?

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2005, 01:08 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What's wrong with the Bug-eye?

Hi all,

Without causing to much up roar or pettiness. As above, I just want to know why so many people dislike the Bug-eye so much?

I know it is not the prettiest model that was launched by Subaru, but as a new forum user and owner of a Scooby I feel that many put the car down a hell of a lot.

I understand that there are those out there who have the newest versions as well as the old school style car , but there are some threads that I have read and the Bug-eye is always being mocked. Why is this the case?

My cousin owned a P1 when they were first launched and he had ownership of the car for approx two and a half years. That was when I first fell in love with the sound of the flat four and in general Scooby cars. Now being 24 with 5 years N/C I thought it was time to get myself a Scooby. I purchased my 01 bug eye two weeks ago and I love the car. It has just what I need , bigger , awd ,speed (when appropriate) and the flat four noise that just cannot be matched and in general like any new owner there is that self pride that you are the owner of a very sort after car.

Because the car was purchased from a Subaru dealer I get the 1 years warranty by Subaru Uk (I only received the paperwork and card today) and due to the previous owner who damaged the engine I also now get a further 3 years warranty on the engine after it was replaced by Subaru uk. In all I got a very good deal and apart from the wheels needing some TLC and the Sti spoiler being put on the car in hurry looks fabulous. Inside the car is standard with exception of the carbon -fibre pack which I think makes a huge deference.

I do not want to start a forum riot seem as I am a new user, I just want to know why the Bug-eye is seen as the sore thumb of the Impreza family?

Regards

Steve
Old 21 September 2005, 01:12 AM
Rangers05champions
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stevesbluewrx
Hi all,

Without causing to much up roar or pettiness. As above, I just want to know why so many people dislike the Bug-eye so much?

I know it is not the prettiest model that was launched by Subaru, but as a new forum user and owner of a Scooby I feel that many put the car down a hell of a lot.

I understand that there are those out there who have the newest versions as well as the old school style car , but there are some threads that I have read and the Bug-eye is always being mocked. Why is this the case?

My cousin owned a P1 when they were first launched and he had ownership of the car for approx two and a half years. That was when I first fell in love with the sound of the flat four and in general Scooby cars. Now being 24 with 5 years N/C I thought it was time to get myself a Scooby. I purchased my 01 bug eye two weeks ago and I love the car. It has just what I need , bigger , awd ,speed (when appropriate) and the flat four noise that just cannot be matched and in general like any new owner there is that self pride that you are the owner of a very sort after car.

Because the car was purchased from a Subaru dealer I get the 1 years warranty by Subaru Uk (I only received the paperwork and card today) and due to the previous owner who damaged the engine I also now get a further 3 years warranty on the engine after it was replaced by Subaru uk. In all I got a very good deal and apart from the wheels needing some TLC and the Sti spoiler being put on the car in hurry looks fabulous. Inside the car is standard with exception of the carbon -fibre pack which I think makes a huge deference.

I do not want to start a forum riot seem as I am a new user, I just want to know why the Bug-eye is seen as the sore thumb of the Impreza family?

Regards

Steve
I first saw it on some PS2 game was called a 'prototype' I remember thinking.. that's way smarter than most Imprezas I've seen.

And it is! If that makes me a freak then so be it I really like the front of it lol.
Old 21 September 2005, 01:52 AM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

When i first seen it
i felt a little sick i was thinking subaru what have you done to the impreza
now 4 years later i own one and love the style and shape and the reaction i still get on the road and in the streets is all good
Old 21 September 2005, 01:57 AM
noobscoob
Scooby Regular

I remember when i first saw the bug eye. i had the same reaction then as i did when i saw the evo 7 for the first time. one of total shock. oddly enough as time went on..i grew to like them both.

i suppose the car looked startled in comparison to the classic cars front end and the wrx's flat spoiler didn't do a thing for the rear end. i think with a morrete or twin headlight conversion that they look cool,and in light of there being litterally thousands of classics on the roads its nice to see one now and again standard or otherwise.

at the end of the day no subaru is beautiful be it a classic,bug.or blob eye. they are purpose built cars that go fast and styling is a pure afterthought.

if you want pretty..get an mr2 enjoy the car mate.
Old 21 September 2005, 01:59 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my cossie is going within a couple of weeks and im in the market for a wrx sti bugeye.

I love em just as much as every other shape.

Show me a sorted impreza in any body format and they all look stunning in my opinion
Old 21 September 2005, 05:43 AM
fromage au pantalon
Scooby Regular

i think that its a style that you warm to, if you want a pretty car then non of the impreza range fit the bill.

lowering the suspension , a bit of de-tango ing and a good colour choice makes the car more pleasing on the eye.

first saw it at the birmingham N.E.C motor show and though whos gonna buy that......love it now.
Old 21 September 2005, 05:50 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Answer - Nothing is wrong with the bug eye.

Apart from the standard headlights, which can be put right for £300, people do take the pi$$ out of them, but thats their problem.

Enjoy your new car mate

Cookie Bugeye owner
Old 21 September 2005, 07:28 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

It was such a big change from the much loved 'classic' shape, but IMHO has started to look better as the years roll by
Old 21 September 2005, 08:43 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw it at launch at the Motor Show ........... it was pig ugly then, its pig ugly now and will remain pig ugly!!

It's in the same league as the Ford Scorpio ..... if you are skint and still want a Scooby, buy a Bug-Eye - they can be bought much cheaper than the later Classics.

But, and I know it's too late for you, I would advise saving up a few £100 extra and getting a Scooby that people actual want.

That said, you don't look at the outside when you are driving - so, I guess you could 'make believe' that you are in a Classic or Blob-Eye??

Above all, enjoy it!!

Pete

(now, THAT'S how to start a riot on ScoobyNet!! )
Old 21 September 2005, 09:09 AM
Kevadair
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis

But, and I know it's too late for you, I would advise saving up a few £100 extra and getting a Scooby that people actual want.

(now, THAT'S how to start a riot on ScoobyNet!! )
A Scooby that 'people' actually want!!!!!!!!!

Buy a scooby that you want and who cares what everyone else thinks.

Especially PSLEWIS as he's just on a wind up.
Old 21 September 2005, 09:18 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I would say that in general feeling towards Bug-eyes with the scooby community is much better now than when it first came out. Probably due to the fact that subsequent models like the blob-eye and the slant-eye(whatever the 06 gets christened with!) aren't exactly stunners in the looks department.

The classic has lovely flowing lines and when people saw the rather angled bug it was quite a shock. Personally I think they are quite a bargain considering the prices currently.

There was a STI "Prodrive" (so they called it) in one of the local garages that dabbles with EVOs and Imprezas and it really did look every bit the WRC prototype and looked really good IMHO.

The prices of wagons are particularly good and quite tempting to keep the classic as a weekend high power beast and the wagon for day to day family stuff.
Old 21 September 2005, 09:32 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Had my Bug-eye for just over 2.5 years and loved it TBH It was the longest I've owned any car since the age of 18 (I'm now 32)

What did I replace it with? an MY05 STi

Oh happy dayz

Enjoy

Andy
Old 21 September 2005, 09:53 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Nothing wrong with this bug eye......

Old 21 September 2005, 09:54 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Thumbs down

Bug eye, what a mess. Would never in a million years even consider getting one, even with the fabled front light conversion.
Old 21 September 2005, 10:27 AM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

Not much wrong with this.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1.../ladsmeet1.jpg
Old 21 September 2005, 11:56 AM
Derek W
Scooby Regular

I've had two classics and loved them both. Still like the shape. However, I now have a bugeye (admittedly with a headlamp conversion ) and it is by far a much better car. Yes, I believe that the performance was slightly blunter than the classics but with a WR Sport backbox and remap that is no longer an issue .

As for blobeyes, they are not significantly different from the bugeyes and so I personally would not rush out to buy one. The MY06 might be a different story though...........
Old 21 September 2005, 12:23 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

All the **** throwing was started by people who were stuck with an old shape car, to be honest I'd have been a bit pissed off if my car had been upgraded and I still had finance to pay. After a while it became fashionable to be a hater, it's much easier to be negative.

The new model has thankfull gone back to the sleeker front end of the Bugeye, the Blobeye's none was way too bulbous for my liking.

Some haters like Pete are still try to sling ****, but ignore him, he lives in a fantasy world, truth is he's a sad old man down on his luck.
Old 21 September 2005, 01:52 PM
joedesi
Scooby Regular

As examples of automotive design they are all foofing ugly.
As examples of performance engineering/driveability scoobs are in their own league.

IMHO the best looking is the bugeye (!!) with a prodrive/morrette conversion
Next is classic (of which the best is the P1)
Finally we come to the blob eye - - oh dear God

Im not even going to comment on the MY06
Old 21 September 2005, 01:58 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Looks like a Toyota Corrolla.

Overweight

Brung down the performace of the classic icon, and put it into the league of hot thatches.

Otherthan that its good
Old 21 September 2005, 02:00 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

thing is bob, a classic also looks like a toyota corrola from the front.....
Old 21 September 2005, 02:01 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Have you ever seen the front?
Old 21 September 2005, 02:02 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Still think the S202 Bugeye scoob is one of the best looking Scoobs made. Apart from the 22B maybe.
Old 21 September 2005, 02:06 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Nowt!!!!!!

Now ditched the grill, anyone want to buy it
Old 21 September 2005, 05:52 PM
richee
Scooby Regular

Wink

look at them as an ugly bird with a nice body. u would still have a ride on them. just would not like to keep it.
Old 21 September 2005, 05:57 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Old 21 September 2005, 08:57 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Some haters like Pete are still try to sling ****, but ignore him, he lives in a fantasy world, truth is he's a sad old man down on his luck.
I don't HATE it!!!

I am just stating a fact ...... it is an automotive disaster, it was a disaster for Subaru - see how fast they dumped it???

I just cannot see how ANYONE can think they look anything but EXTREMELY NAFF!!!

I might be old, but my eyes still work - and here is what I see!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/MrRee/BUGEYE.jpg

Sorry, I can't love it!!

Pete
Old 21 September 2005, 09:04 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joedesi
IMHO the best looking is the bugeye (!!) with a prodrive/morrette conversion
Exactly my thoughts - morrettes make it the very best looking. Mine is a bugeye with standard lights - and looking at the front, I see shades of a 60's Aston Martin DB5. From inside the car, looking down the bonnet, it puts me in mind of a TR5/6. There are dashes of retro styling in the circular fascia air vents. I think the unmodded bugeye will become a design classic - it's a grower..
Old 21 September 2005, 09:15 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pmarch
- and looking at the front, I see shades of a 60's Aston Martin DB5.
STOP IT!!!!

I've just pissed my pants laughing so much!!!!!! tears are rolling down my vest!!!

Aston Martin DB5!!?? You should have gone to SpecSavers!! Ha Ha Ha!!!

http://www.atomic78.com/prodimages/s...-sign-t882.jpg

Yeah, looks JUST the same!!

The closest thing to it is THIS!!

http://www.tte.de/tuning/website/ima...-front-3-4.gif

And I am trying to be nice by finding a good picture!!

Pete
Old 21 September 2005, 09:17 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Still think the S202 Bugeye scoob is one of the best looking Scoobs made.

so do I mate , but I am a bit bias
Old 21 September 2005, 09:35 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

The bug-eye is going to become the true classic and you know it Pete.

I think mine looks great (just de-tango'd and clear side markers) and don't for one minute regret buying a MY01.

Have a look... costs nothing but a bit of time.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...ClearFront.jpg

Also all this ****e you read about it being ever so slow - there is hardly anything in it between the MY01/02 and MY03 models, so it is only 'slow' compared to the rattly old skool classics. Tek3 it and it will be virtually identical to the 03 Tek3'd equivalent!

The bug-eye is growing in popularity and rightly so. The tide turned in it's favour long ago.

Oh... and as for the Toyota Corolla jokes... have a look at a 93 Ford Mondeo.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with the Bug-eye?