ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

BEAT BY SEAT CUPRA R

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2005, 09:19 PM
burtysbugeye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEAT BY SEAT CUPRA R

Well i was gutted on my way to work this morning and i came off a roundabout in 2nd booted it down a dual carriage way into 3rd and next thing i look in my mirror and see a seat glued to my bumper so i take near to red line in 3rd then into 4th still stuck to my bumper i pull over by this time im doing about 110mph and this bloody seat cupra r sails past the young lad smiling while he passes me i try alittle harder and push him to 130mph still behind him to much traffic on the road tho so we end up at the bottom of the road and hit the roadabout still behind him we both go for it up the slip road but next turn off was mine I think the cupra r has that bit more torque in 3rd.Anyway was gutted sayin that they are 225bhp mine is a bugeye with decat no remap.Thing is we get these cars in at work the cupra r and i have tested a few and yes they are bloody quick but you never seem to get a grip but never thought they were that quick, but i was proved wrong unless it was chipped lol
Old 19 September 2005, 09:21 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

A Cupra R will kill a standard bugeye

Do what I done.....buy a PPP STI

Old 19 September 2005, 09:21 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

probably chipped, fight back soldier
Old 19 September 2005, 09:22 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Also you really should consider a remap to take full advantage of the decat

Old 19 September 2005, 09:23 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Varboy
probably chipped, fight back soldier
Why??

I may be wrong but I'm sure a standard Leon Cupra R would pi** all over a bugeye Impreza
Old 19 September 2005, 09:27 PM
wide
Scooby Regular

Crazy speed dude, be careful, so what if it sticks with you. You love scoobs , doesnt mean there arent cars out there that arent going to stick with you!
Old 19 September 2005, 09:27 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Default Not that quick

A std bugeye is a good drive but not the quickest thing on the road, get a remap asap.
I you want quick get an sti+remap or a JDMsti+remap

dipster
Old 19 September 2005, 09:31 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Scoobs are not the quickest things on the road you know

dipster
Old 19 September 2005, 09:32 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davedipster
A std bugeye is a good drive but not the quickest thing on the road, get a remap asap.
I you want quick get an sti+remap or a JDMsti+remap

dipster
I totally agree

Although a very nice car the standard bugeye has met its match with a lot of cars on the road now. Lets face it, there's a lot of VAG cars out there that can stick to the *** of a standard bugeye now.

If you want a car that is not going to be challenged as easily then you need to think about an STI with PPP (305) or a JDM STI (320).

Seriously quick cars, I went from a UK Classic to a 1.6 Focus to a UK STI with PPP - what a transformation!!
Old 19 September 2005, 09:32 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanley
Why??

I may be wrong but I'm sure a standard Leon Cupra R would pi** all over a bugeye Impreza
I don't think you're wrong, a Cupra straight out of the box will not pee on a bueye, hence I believe it could be chipped. You can get 265bhp out of a Cupra for £500.

Get your car chipped, I know I will be soon.
Old 19 September 2005, 09:33 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Get your car chipped, I know I will be soon.
I don't need mine chipping!!

Bring on the Cupra R's

Old 19 September 2005, 09:35 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanley
I don't need mine chipping!!

Bring on the Cupra R's

essentially your car is chipped, lucky beeeaaacchhh
Old 19 September 2005, 09:41 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

essentially your car is chipped, lucky beeeaaacchhh
True

Old 19 September 2005, 09:42 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt dare try it on with anything that could even stand a chance. saves embaresment!
Old 19 September 2005, 10:07 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wide
Crazy speed dude, be careful, so what if it sticks with you. You love scoobs , doesnt mean there arent cars out there that arent going to stick with you!
i hear what ur sayin but if that was me in the bugeye and a guy in a standard cupra r beat me id either sell up and get an sti/type r/p1 or spend some cash on your wrx, that would sicken me to be honest
Old 19 September 2005, 10:10 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

You shouldn't be taking your car near to the redline mate. Peak power is 5,600 rpm (correct me if wrong) so you want to change up at about 6k.

Get it remapped and you will have the edge over a standard Cupra R. AWD will always be sapping your power but I like a low 5 seconds 0-60, and a car that isn't all over the place when pushed in the wet. The Impreza was never designed to be a three figure speed racer.

Also don't think is something to do with your car being a bug-eye. Those Cupra R's are up with the 03 onward WRX's just the same.
Old 19 September 2005, 10:19 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

I've got an bugeye WRX too and have recently been pi55ed on by a Nissan 300ZX (twin-turbo). I didn't expect anything else really but is was depressing all the same

Silly question but does a remap really make a huge difference, I've had a Magnex Oval and decat centre fitted and am planning an ecutek remap by Powerhouse at the end of Oct?

I know it should boost me to 265bhp (ish) but how will this translate to actual driving?
Old 19 September 2005, 10:22 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trap2Terrorist
I've got an bugeye WRX too and have recently been pi55ed on by a Nissan 300ZX (twin-turbo). I didn't expect anything else really but is was depressing all the same

Silly question but does a remap really make a huge difference, I've had a Magnex Oval and decat centre fitted and am planning an ecutek remap by Powerhouse at the end of Oct?

I know it should boost me to 265bhp (ish) but how will this translate to actual driving?
yeah 3.0 twin turbo is the way to go if u want sweet top end
Old 19 September 2005, 10:25 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

I thought you were getting the remap by Powerstation? What changed your mind.

Yes makes a big difference. Car will deliver same power a full 1,000rpm lower down in the rev range. It will also pull strongly right upto 6,500rpm. It's exactly what the WRX needs to lift it out of reach of standard Civic Type R's and Seat Cupra R's.
Old 19 September 2005, 10:31 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Sorry mate, meant Powerstation.... (confusing with 'Powerhouse', the bankrupt electrical retailer!!!)

I can't wait for the remap, there should be 2 or 3 of us going up together, all for remaps!!! Gonna be a GOOD day

I like my WRX but agree with other bugeye owners who find that after a couple of months it doesn't seem quite as quick as when first purchased.
Originally Posted by Ben WRX Bug-Eye
I thought you were getting the remap by Powerstation? What changed your mind.

Yes makes a big difference. Car will deliver same power a full 1,000rpm lower down in the rev range. It will also pull strongly right upto 6,500rpm. It's exactly what the WRX needs to lift it out of reach of standard Civic Type R's and Seat Cupra R's.
Old 19 September 2005, 10:32 PM
Adz Turbo
Scooby Regular

Before i got my scooby i had a Cupra (2 infact) and yes they are very quick for wot they are, and you are prob right by saying it was chipped there are not many standard Cupras/Cupra R's about anymore! and i know that a Cupra with a new turbo re-map and full zorst systen and air filter will run just short of 240bhp. (Depending on re-map) Enough in a front wheel drive car if you ask me! And with that sort of power it will do a lot more cars than people think! trust me i know!
Old 19 September 2005, 10:44 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Losing races makes your **** smaller. FACT.
Old 19 September 2005, 10:45 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Its hardly surprising though is it?

Im not being funny but some scooby owners seem to think there cars are quicker than they are, even the standard WRX mob. Most modern day hatches will pull the legs on a WRX from 40 onwards!

FWD wins hands down when traction is not an issue as they do not suffer astronomical transmission losses! Okay the max power 0-60 results are always going to be in a scoobs favour but when traction is not an issue a 197bhp CTR will pull the legs on a WRX.

I just wish magazines would quote 60-120 times instead of 0-60! People would then realise that scoobies are in fact not that quick at all!

I can honestly say that a chipped Leon Cupra R will also stretch its legs on the 265bhp sti version! It will take the sti ppp to see off a well driven chipped LCR!

The scooby was a performance icon in the 90's. Its a very average performing car in 2005! The sooner people realise the better!

There are still the special few like the WR1/Spec c/Type 25 etc that are awesome performing cars but they are very rare!

Last edited by Mitchy260; 20 September 2005 at 06:32 PM.
Old 19 September 2005, 10:49 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

Sorry mate, meant Powerstation.... (confusing with 'Powerhouse', the bankrupt electrical retailer!!!)

I can't wait for the remap, there should be 2 or 3 of us going up together, all for remaps!!! Gonna be a GOOD day

I like my WRX but agree with other bugeye owners who find that after a couple of months it doesn't seem quite as quick as when first purchased.
You definately won't regret the remap mate. I test drove a Tek3'd WRX and the improvement was dramatic. I'll look forward to hearing what you make of it!

I quickly got 'used' to my car also and am looking forward to my remap which should bring together the exhaust and filter mods nicely. Just got to think of the Impreza as a good base car for subsequent modification.
Old 19 September 2005, 10:50 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Losing races makes your **** smaller. FACT.
Wow... your upto 30,000 plus posts now.
Old 19 September 2005, 10:51 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

In defence of 4WD, who the f**k would want a car that puts 275bhp through its front wheels - unless you've live somewhere where they only build straight roads and it never rains........???

Originally Posted by Mitchy260
305bhp through 4 wheels or 275bhp through 2 wheels! There is going to be very little difference in the way the cars perform! Torque is in the region of 300lbft for LCR so torque is not an excuse either!

The scooby was a performance icon in the 90's. Its a very average performing car in 2005! The sooner people realise the better!
Old 19 September 2005, 10:51 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Wow... your upto 30,000 plus posts now.
And they've all been of absolutely superb quality - like that one.
Old 19 September 2005, 10:53 PM
seanks
Scooby Regular

Talking

Some pretty decent performance info here....

LetsTorqueBhp
Old 19 September 2005, 10:55 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

In defence of 4WD, who the f**k would want a car that puts 275bhp through its front wheels - unless you've live somewhere where they only build straight roads and it never rains........???
Yes true, in the rain it would be dangerous applying all that through the front and my money would be on the scooby in the twistys also!

However we do have a lot of long straight motorway/dual carriageways here in the uk and with 275hp through the fronts its going to take a a good car to beat it.

275hp through fronts is circa 235-240 @ wheels for instance!
275 through 4wd and you'll be lucky to see 200 at wheels!

Not a bashing of scoobies at all, i used to own 1 and was very impressed with it! I still miss the lovely burble and the immense traction it had in the 1st 2 gears I was getting fed up with the ever increasing chav image it was getting and the silly MPG figures i was achieving!

You only realise that its not as quick as you thought when you actually leave the subaru badge behind! I was 1 of the worst for sticking up for the scooby when it was being flamed by the cliosport mob. Couldn't accept how the little tin sh*tboxes would get anywhere near my impreza, never mind beat it!

Last edited by Mitchy260; 19 September 2005 at 11:05 PM.
Old 19 September 2005, 11:04 PM
Sandman
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yes, a re map DOES make a difference. I have a 2001 Bugeye WRX,fullly decatted and Ecutec 3 remap develops 285 bhp and 279 llb of torque, one bit enhances the other.

Quick Reply: BEAT BY SEAT CUPRA R