Sponsored by:

Is there life after Subaru?

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2005, 01:42 AM
VWscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there life after Subaru?

I have decided to radically alter my life, jack in my job and become a scrounging student!!

Yeah I know but it is for a good cause (my bank account!) and hopefully I will be able to stop the next generation of chavs in my new role as a primary school teacher.

To fund the next couple of years it looks as though the scoob will be up for sale after christmas . I am looking for a half decent car to pootle around in and nothing seems to hit the spot.

My queston is this, does owning a car such as an Impreza 'spoil' you towards other cars? And is it possible to be happy with another car without the associated, power, looks and dare I say it prestige. (Yes that sounds a bit sad but I do like the fact that "yeah man I have a scooby!")

Will be looking at gettin another when I qualify but can't see myself driving anything else over the next couple of years. Maybe I have just been too ingrained with the petrol head gene and am being melodramatic but what do you all think? Is there life after a car such as a scooby?
Old 15 September 2005, 02:00 AM
scarey
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=VWscooby]I have decided to radically alter my life, jack in my job and become a scrounging student!!

Yeah I know but it is for a good cause (my bank account!) and hopefully I will be able to stop the next generation of chavs in my new role as a primary school teacher.

To fund the next couple of years it looks as though the scoob will be up for sale after christmas . I am looking for a half decent car to pootle around in and nothing seems to hit the spot.

My queston is this, does owning a car such as an Impreza 'spoil' you towards other cars? And is it possible to be happy with another car without the associated, power, looks and dare I say it prestige. (Yes that sounds a bit sad but I do like the fact that "yeah man I have a scooby!")

depends on why you bought the scooby in the first place but if you bought for performance versus buck you'll need to convert a fair few chavs to make up for it!

best of luck anyway
Old 15 September 2005, 08:00 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by VWscooby

My queston is this, does owning a car such as an Impreza 'spoil' you towards other cars? And is it possible to be happy with another car without the associated, power, looks and dare I say it prestige.
In a bit of a similar position myself - its coming to the time where I have to chop the Impreza in for another car and can't think of another car that suits my needs as much. I may end up buying another !
If its cheap and cheerful but with a bit of fun factor you're after, have a go in a Skoda Fabia vRS
Old 15 September 2005, 08:41 AM
PAUL CRAFTS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
In a bit of a similar position myself - its coming to the time where I have to chop the Impreza in for another car and can't think of another car that suits my needs as much. I may end up buying another !
If its cheap and cheerful but with a bit of fun factor you're after, have a go in a Skoda Fabia vRS
Simple answer. My first scooby was stolen, bought a ford soft top alright for the first 2 weeks.Then the x-factor hit me(HO MY GOD NO SCOOBY). So out i went and yes got myself second scoob,but let me tell u this guys if u sell watch out for the big X because u will miss her. A LOT,I think u know what i mean. All the best non SCOOBY LADS.
Old 15 September 2005, 09:16 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Get a car that's fun to drive and you'll not miss it greatly... I went for test drives in a few things and was fairly underwhelmed, then tried a car which I enjoyed driving more than the scoob, and the rest is history. I daresay in the future I'd look to own another scoob, and my current thinking is that I'll be tempted by a good p1 in a couple of years, but I don't miss the scoob. I know that sounds like twisted logic, but that's just me
Old 15 September 2005, 09:16 AM
filfy
Scooby Regular

There is only one way to find out,and we all know what the outcome will be sleepless nights, heavy sweating and shortness of breath every time a scoob goes by you

It's your choice student life or own a scoobonder2:

Anyway must go as me and my girl are of to Wales as it's that WRC time of year again
Old 15 September 2005, 09:57 AM
maci
Scooby Regular

I am so glad to see these posts. Now I can proove to my girl that I am not crazy
Take away my Scooby, and I feel half dead....But again, to change your life is very difficult, and to give up good things even more. I had until now 6 cars, and each time I felt really really bad when I sold one, and the only way I got around was to buy another one and until now I always had a better one(bought each time very soon after the sell). Problem is that once you have a Scooby, there is not much where you can go, unless you are loaded with money(not my case unfortunately).
So I think for you would be the best a comprimise: still a strong car but which is cheaper, also to maintain and run. Smth like a pug 106 rallye, or a 306 gti, or a golf gti. If budget allows, a seat leon(the 180 turbo), focus st.
Old 15 September 2005, 11:25 AM
craigie_s
Scooby Regular

[Be carefull when making this decision one of my friends traded in his scoob for a brand new astra , a couple of years ago . A 1.6 SXi none the less , with a few options wheels , tints, ect. the result was a 4 grand loss in 4 weeks when he returned to the sub garrage to trade in the ****ter !!!! so what started out as a money saving venture ended with him paying 4G more than he needed to for the Catalunya that he wanted in the first place!!!!!!!
Old 15 September 2005, 11:45 AM
G_Sleigh_STi
Scooby Regular

Take anyones passion away and your going to leave a space in their life, be cars, football, sports, music etc....

Take my cars off me and i would be PISSED OFF. lol. I dont think i would give them up for anything. Id work out a way to keep them and change life at same time. Part time evening jobs and stuff if you need to.
Old 15 September 2005, 01:44 PM
VWscooby
Scooby Regular

I have tried to find a way to keep the car but it just isn't viable. I already work two jobs and after I quit one for the sake of uni its just going to be far too expensive. I don't really want to milk the student loan system for the sake of the car, I winge about free-loaders enough as it is!!!!

Though my ex has just bought a VW Lupo GTi which is the most fun I have had in a car since my scoob so that is always an option. Still a bit expensive though.

I will feel like my left arm has been cut off after its gone but a teachers wage can buy a new one and a skyline too so its not all bad I guess!
Old 15 September 2005, 03:03 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Sold my classic Scooby and thought I could get a better more expensive car, ended up with a Audi, and the 1st week I was well happy, but the reality hit me, and I was missing the scoob big time , Owned the Audi for 2 months and sold it the day I put it up for sale, and ended up with a brand new scoob in the end.
Old 15 September 2005, 03:29 PM
scooby_99turbo
Scooby Regular

I hope so ive just brought a vectra sri 04 plate

I have decided to radically alter my life, jack in my job and become a scrounging student!!

Will be looking at gettin another when I qualify but can't see myself driving anything else over the next couple of years. Maybe I have just been too ingrained with the petrol head gene and am being melodramatic but what do you all think? Is there life after a car such as a scooby?
Old 15 September 2005, 04:49 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I will feel like my left arm has been cut off after its gone but a teachers wage can buy a new one and a skyline too so its not all bad I guess!
you sure, don't see many teachers driving round in scoobys or skylines?
Old 15 September 2005, 04:52 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
you sure, don't see many teachers driving round in scoobys or skylines?
My old teacher drives round in a Supra Twin Turbo, and a EVO 7 GTA at the moment and always gives a friendly wave when I drive past in the scoob, he had a 5 turbo & 21 turbo and a Bmw E36 M3 when I was at school.
Old 15 September 2005, 05:26 PM
wide
Scooby Regular

Go for a sport, at least it burbles and doesnt go to bad, although the turbo only brigade will disagree!
Old 15 September 2005, 06:00 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wide
Go for a sport, at least it burbles and doesnt go to bad, although the turbo only brigade will disagree!
doesnt go bad?? are you winding me up? it goes awful, a standard 1.3 starlet turbo would destroy one, or any 1.6 mivec or vtec, hence a 2.0 litre sport isnt worth a wobblies
Old 15 September 2005, 06:11 PM
EBRWRX
Scooby Regular

Is there life after a car such as a scooby?
I'd recommend a Nissan Primera GT (though these stopped on a T plate I think). If you're on a budget car and insurance wise this will do the trick and give you an edge over quite a few competitors.

Assuming you accept the fact that your turbo days are on hold I would say:

Upside - Decent performance for its class, handles beautifully and corners well at speed. All the depreciation long gone. Decent standard spec on the car !

Downside - Street cred.

Just did a quick search to try to get performance stats and look what I found

Turbo GT

Pretty sure it was 150BHP, 0-62 was 7.9 and the book top speed was about 136. Mine drove comfortably to 120mph* before the **** I don't think I'm in control factor kicked in.

* Natch this was not on a UK road
Old 15 September 2005, 06:14 PM
EBRWRX
Scooby Regular

Just remembered the reason why I bought the car. Nothing could touch it at the time in the BTCC.
Old 15 September 2005, 07:05 PM
doppelganger
Scooby Regular

Location: 11.23@127mph second drag vw beetle with a stock subaru legacy engine and a 50 shot of gas

vw scooby
you could always buy a vw and fit a scooby in it and they are quicker in a bug than in a scooby (sorry but they are)they will top out about 140 so slower but will get there quicker but then they are 2wd v 4wd but when you wheelie away from school you will be the coolest teacher there
Old 16 September 2005, 11:12 AM
VWscooby
Scooby Regular

Did think about dropping the scoob engine into my little Polo project car......not the most fuel or insurence friendly option though really!!
Old 16 September 2005, 05:38 PM
EBRWRX
Scooby Regular

You are at a crossroads in life.

I am at a corner.
Old 16 September 2005, 06:41 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Well I must be down the round and round the bend but their is no way I will sell mine
Cheers
Colin
Old 16 September 2005, 11:29 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

im feeling the pressure to sell the car to buy a house...... I ve just bought a really nice tent
Old 16 September 2005, 11:44 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

I'd go for a an Audi S4 or 2.8 Quattro, (although perhaps not for your budget).

That way you get the 4WD system, reasonable power and MANY MORE goodies as standard (leather, climate, cruise, heated seats, electric everything, poss. sat nav, CD autochanger, auto wash/wipe, good residuals...the list goes on).

Still get pi55ed on by every WRX or above but that's life......"you pays your money, you makes your choice".
Old 17 September 2005, 09:15 AM
wide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flat4_ire
doesnt go bad?? are you winding me up? it goes awful, a standard 1.3 starlet turbo would destroy one, or any 1.6 mivec or vtec, hence a 2.0 litre sport isnt worth a wobblies
There we go and your talking ****e
Old 17 September 2005, 09:27 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

SLOWER THAN MY XSARA 1.6 !!!!.vtr....(in standard tune)...........and its got 4wd more power and within 50kg weight difference..!!!!!...

Last edited by dpb; 17 September 2005 at 09:29 AM. Reason: not you wide....jus cant figure why the sport is slow slow!!
Old 17 September 2005, 11:35 AM
wide
Scooby Regular

Listen Im not going down the "sports are slow debate" and what car can beat it in a traffic light grand prix. I have since sold mine for a turbo. The guys question was "Is there life after subaru and stating that the cost was too much for him. I have given him a decent alternative which is cheaper than a turbo and a cheap car too buy. It also has al the characteristics of the turbo and will still put a smile on your face when you drive it around.
Old 19 September 2005, 12:40 PM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

Why not try something completely different.
For a load of different reasons to the subaru, the MX5 is a fab car.

Alot slower yes, but it makes up for it in so many other ways.
and it's cheap to run.
Old 19 September 2005, 01:08 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ShyTot
Why not try something completely different.
For a load of different reasons to the subaru, the MX5 is a fab car.

Alot slower yes, but it makes up for it in so many other ways.
and it's cheap to run.
he said teacher,not nad chewer