ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's running full decat with no remap

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2005, 10:47 AM
mattdoyle
Scooby Regular

Location: From Outback 2 classic wagon 2 newage wagon 2 Legy TT 2 classic 2 newage STi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's running full decat with no remap

Fitted me 04 wagon with a full scoobysport decat system(apart from up pipe(loads of work to fit this apparently), goes well sounds good, remap at £550 plus vat and fitting the up pipe at the same time(£150 + vat).
Guuna cost me a lot, is it worth it(If I sell her and refit original exhaust gunna have to have it remapped back).

What do you reckon.

Matt
Old 14 September 2005, 10:54 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

This is where several people who dont understand how their car works at all, tell you that: they have a full de-cat and it runs fine without being re-mapped..... You cant just fit the exhaust; itll all end in tears.

Simon
Old 14 September 2005, 11:56 AM
McWRX
Scooby Regular

I spoke to a few companies before fitting the Scoobysport turbo back exhaust (left CAT in downpipe) and they all advised to remap if going for a full decat but leaving one CAT in should be fine. Subaru Delaer even confirmed as long as I dont touch the CAT in the downpipe it should be fine.

May be better to stick the centre cat back in until remap time but am sure its the removal of the CAT in the downpipe that causes the issues?
Old 14 September 2005, 12:00 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

How about fitting a full de-cat on an early Wagon (my94)

Obviously these can't be remapped, what needs to be done?

Rob
Old 14 September 2005, 12:19 PM
eddie c
Scooby Newbie

I have a remap with a cat in the down pipe but not in my center section. I am going to put the old exhaust back on i take it this will not cause me any probs, Or do i have to get it remaped again?
Old 14 September 2005, 12:51 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For information (and this will put the cat amongst the pigeons.... perhaps)....

I had a 3" decat system fitted to a JDM without the need for a remap, specific for the exhaust.

The car had previously had a UK Fuel remap with a CAT'ed 2 1/2" system some years previous. Whacking the 3" system without CAT's on (and using a much more free flowing design) did not course ANY boost or DET issues what so ever, while I was testing. And before anyone says "Well that exhaust must of been crap then!"... not so, as we achieved increases of up to 40bhp and 50lbft just with that exhaust system!

I am by no way shape for form, suggesting people do this, but during various tests that was what happened with my Spec C.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 14 September 2005, 12:51 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobfan
How about fitting a full de-cat on an early Wagon (my94)

Obviously these can't be remapped, what needs to be done?

Rob
A '94 'Wagon only has one cat in the downpipe; what appears to be a cat in the centre section is actually only a resonator.

Simon
Old 14 September 2005, 01:07 PM
scoobimax
Scooby Regular

Mmm, worrying me this thread is.

I have a MY99 UK Turbo with a full Magnex de-cat system (bought & fitted a section at a time by the same garage) and an ITG panel filter, but not recommended to have a re-map.

Big question if anyone can tell me, am I damaging the engine? Should I re-ap as a matter of urgency? Car is running at 240 ish BHP and similar lb/ft.

I understand a re-map is about £650 + RR time.

Thanks in advance of any advice.

Max
Old 14 September 2005, 01:11 PM
G_Sleigh_STi
Scooby Regular

Why cut corners, just get the remaps done people. Get the most from your car in realiability and performance.
Old 14 September 2005, 01:16 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
This is where several people who dont understand how their car works at all, tell you that: they have a full de-cat and it runs fine without being re-mapped..... You cant just fit the exhaust; itll all end in tears.

Simon

Well I'll start then I've run a classic uk with a full decat and a bugeye PPP with full decat and had no problems whatsoever. Yes a remap will gain more power and make better use of the mods but for certain cars isn't essential IMHO

Chris
Old 14 September 2005, 01:40 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

It has nothing to do with power Chris; principally, the re-map is needed to prevent boost spiking.

Simon
Old 14 September 2005, 01:40 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Hi Max,

I've bought the Magnex Oval 6x4 backbox and the centre section and don't know if the centre section is decat or not.

Do you know about the Magnex system and if so, is the following part number a decat pipe - XSS05/O?

Thanks,
Rich.

Originally Posted by scoobimax

I have a MY99 UK Turbo with a full Magnex de-cat system (bought & fitted a section at a time by the same garage) and an ITG panel filter, but not recommended to have a re-map.

Big question if anyone can tell me, am I damaging the engine? Should I re-ap as a matter of urgency? Car is running at 240 ish BHP and similar lb/ft.

Max
Old 14 September 2005, 02:07 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GC8

Simon

No issues with MY99/00 either. Full 3" decat. Ran it for a couple of years.

If I was to 1st mods again I would just have a full de-cat and fit a dawes.
Old 14 September 2005, 02:10 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Any car post MY98/99 should have precautions to take into account of boost spiking.

Earlier cars don't usually suffer from this.

But precautions should be made to ensure you don't run lean or run into some det

This doesn't actually mean a re-map is required. But to get the best out of it, it is advised.

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 September 2005 at 02:15 PM.
Old 14 September 2005, 02:16 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

My comments relate to New Age cars, remember that this is an '04 'Wagon that we're talking about. Id be very careful with a Classic though...

Simon
Old 14 September 2005, 02:22 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Yup..unfortuantely people don't read peoples post properly or notice its an MY04. Or assume all Subarus are the same...when it most certainly is not the case.

The case of "mine is ok but yours won't be ok" certainly applies here
Old 14 September 2005, 02:27 PM
scoobywhite74
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by scoobimax

Max
Hi m8,
Ive got a 99uk turbo same sort of power.
Then i got a remap.
As i was over boosting on the rolling road
when you get rid of the down pipe and have no cat
you over boost and the fuel is out so i would get it done.
Great power from it 274bhp and 276/torque
Old 14 September 2005, 02:49 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
A '94 'Wagon only has one cat in the downpipe; what appears to be a cat in the centre section is actually only a resonator.

Simon
Si, Yes i was aware of that, but what would i need to do if removing the cat in the down pipe?

Rob
Old 14 September 2005, 03:18 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Rob; Im not sure. I might remove mine when I get an A'Pexi PowerFC fitted and mapped, but Im not certain whether the early TD04 'Wagons require it. The only way to be sure that the intake charge is correctly fuelled under all conditions is with a replacement ECU though.

Simon
Old 14 September 2005, 03:22 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Rob,

First of all speak to one of the tuners that frequent or advertise on ScoobyNet. They will be best placed to give you exact informed feedback on what is required. Secondly, even though your standard ECU may not be reprogrammable, there are a number of other alternatives (regarding replacement or piggyback ECU's) that are available. Again perhaps worth asking the question when speaking to the qualified people.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 14 September 2005, 03:29 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Talking

Originally Posted by chris singleton
Well I'll start then I've run a classic uk with a full decat and a bugeye PPP with full decat and had no problems whatsoever. Yes a remap will gain more power and make better use of the mods but for certain cars isn't essential IMHO

Chris
I'll be second. Had a P1 up to 60k with full decat from new and no remap. No blown engine. Guess us people who dont know how our cars work are just lucky :Rolleyes:
Old 14 September 2005, 03:31 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

95 wrx wagon - full decat - no issues - no det.
Not sure how new age cars run with one? Perhaps the boost control is not as good on the new age - classic have the 3 port solenoid fitted.
Old 14 September 2005, 03:37 PM
tmo
Scooby Regular

full de-cat MY99 no problems
Old 14 September 2005, 03:40 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
I'll be second. Had a P1 up to 60k with full decat from new and no remap. No blown engine. Guess us people who dont know how our cars work are just lucky :Rolleyes:

A P1 is similar to an '04 New Age then is it? Perhaps I should have added 'people who cant read' too.
Old 14 September 2005, 04:02 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
It has nothing to do with power Chris; principally, the re-map is needed to prevent boost spiking.

Simon

I didn't think the blobeyes were that different mechanically to the bugeyes, my bugeye ran fine with no boost spiking with a full decat. Apologies if the blobeyes are a different kettle of fish entirely. I know boost spiking occured on some of the STI's which IIRC was cured by fitting a 3 port boost solenoid but didn't think this affected the WRX's? Could be wrong, it's been a while since I had to worry about all this crap

I know of a few WR1's which were also running full decats with no boost spiking problems although some of them did opt for a remap to try and gain some more horse's

Chris
Old 14 September 2005, 04:05 PM
Dave Duncan
Scooby Newbie

Run a MY99 wagon with full decat. However, also got a Tek 2( exchange ECU) and accompanying certificate advises O.K. for use with decat.
So for any with upgraded ECU's, there should be no issue with boost spikes although the usual precautions should be taken to ensure mixture is not lean---i.e., if anyone running a Classic has not already done so, install latest MAF sensor and stick to a recommended panel air filters such as K&N or STi.

Dave.
Old 14 September 2005, 04:07 PM
McWRX
Scooby Regular

So I guess you could get a full decat - then get it on the rollers and plugged in to check for any issues. If none then dont worry!?
Old 14 September 2005, 04:09 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Chris, I realise that you mentioned both models. I didnt comment on the Blob because Im not sure what the PPP re-map on this car involves. Im assuming that the altered parameters allowed the de-cat'ed front pipe to be fitted in place of the sports cat without further adjustment, as seemed to be the case with Shaun's car.

Simon
Old 14 September 2005, 04:28 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Simon,

I havent delved specifically in to this in my testing, but whilst my car had previously been re-mapped for UK Fuel (being a JDM MY03 Spec C) it may be possible that the better ECU's for the newage cars may actually be better equipped to handle certain mods without the need to remap. But saying that, I seem to remember another tuner stating he had to remap his JDM Newage when moving to a decat system (and that was after a previous remap)..... so who knows!!! My logic would be that if anything, further mapping would be required after a previous remap for specific bits of kit as most remaps would take out over excuberance (sp?) of large OEM safety margins. However, I was aware that certain models really did require remapping when moving to a decat system, and to be quite honest thought that was still the norm for Scoobys..... so was very surprised myself when mine never needed it.

Like I said, best for the guys to contact the pro's in my opinion.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 14 September 2005, 04:39 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Talking

Originally Posted by GC8
A P1 is similar to an '04 New Age then is it? Perhaps I should have added 'people who cant read' too.
Can read very well thanks. There's a lot of old ****e talked about decatting and mapping, be it on a p1 or an 04 new age.

Quick Reply: Who's running full decat with no remap