Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EVO's not really that good............

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2005, 12:44 PM
GOLDMAN 555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVO's not really that good............

I had a drive yesterday in an EVO 8 and I have to say that I was not at all impressed. Everyonein the motoring press always say that Subaru's are nice but given the choice they would go for a Mitsubishi.

After having driven one I'm suspicious that motoring journalists are being bribed by Mitsubishi.

Firstly the car looks ugly for want of a better wordit also looks extremely dated in comparison with the Subaru STI.

Secondly the ride is far too harsh it is not much better than go-kart.

Performance absolutely nothing in it if anything inferior to the Subaru STI.

But the really shocking thing from my point of view was how incredibly crap the interior is. Badly put together with absolutely awful materials the car I was in was less than a year oldwith 8000 miles and I have seen less wear and tear on taxis which have done 400,000 miles(scratches on the door pockets etc)

Finally it has the stupid feature called smartNAV which is a button underneath the steering column right to where your knee is and every time you turn a corner the loudspeaker starts ringing like a telephone car kit then you get that no answer beeping "sorry we cannot connect you at this Time" I mean WTF is that all about.it is supposed to be satellite navigation or something..........

I just cannot believe how incredibly disappointed I AM with this product it is not a patch on a Subaru STI.

Anyone else share my sentiment???
Old 09 September 2005, 12:46 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

No!
Old 09 September 2005, 12:50 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by GOLDMAN 555
I had a drive yesterday in an EVO 8 and I have to say that I was not at all impressed. Everyonein the motoring press always say that Subaru's are nice but given the choice they would go for a Mitsubishi.
Anyone else share my sentiment???
I think most of the press say that the Evo has it for ouright ability and track use, but the scooby is the better and more characterful everyday car. I think most people that have driven both agree.

NS04
Old 09 September 2005, 12:59 PM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

I test drove an Evo 8, FQ-320 version and I was impressed with the performance, handling and with the deals Mitsubishi have on at the moment. But and it is a BIG but servicing every 4500 miles, after the 3 year (27,000 mile) free servicing deal was over it would cost me at least £1200 a year in servicing costs alone!!!!!!!!!

Its no wonder you don't see many about, I just couldn't afford to run it but if I could I think I would be tempted to stray to the dark-side.
Old 09 September 2005, 01:02 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the 8 came with a Recaro interior, wouldnt say that was cheap quality, but i do know what you mean about the plastics, pretty much on par with subaru's, though the new 9 is better, but performance wise, the evo is better than a UK car, you would have to match it with another JDM car of the same year for a proper comparison, but they do handle well, though you dont have much choice in the matter, where now with Subaru, you have the A-DCCD and you can play with that or leave it on auto.
Both are very good cars, and there isnt much in it either way (but the scoob is better, JDM version )

Tony
Old 09 September 2005, 01:08 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What do you drive again Tony?
Old 09 September 2005, 01:26 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Brun
What do you drive again Tony?
Errrrrm not sure (could be a JDM STi though )

Tony
Old 09 September 2005, 03:23 PM
compshack
Scooby Regular

Oh my god not another Evo vs STi debate.
Well I've own 3 of both. Which proberbley sounds quite a lot but that's another story.

All the STi's where type uk with PPP from the past 3 years and all the Evo's where MR FQ340's with the useless Satnav.

I would say the STi's where easier to drive more neutral easier to live with and a great car to own. Service intervals where 10,000 miles and happy days.

The Evo is a differant beast all together. Very active feeling, other Evos I have driven like the FQ300 where too scitty but the MR 320 and 340 are great.
Power is awesome, no understeer and the car will be as brave as you.You don't see that many and they hold there value better. Downsides are the servicing and liftoff oversteer which can really catch you out when your not ready for it.
Old 09 September 2005, 04:15 PM
paulhsti
Scooby Regular

Default both good and...

I swop with my cousin every now and then.
He has an 04 MRFQ300 and I have a 54 STI, overal nothing much in it on the road although we both feel the suspension is softer on the evo 8. The Evo engine has less character, but better top end and the auto water spray more helpful than trying to push some stupid button at max revs (if it makes a difference anyway).
The three settings on the center diff unit gives you more options. Evo 8 Interior is generaly low rent and the servicing is V high cost with front tyres dispatched (with very uneven wear) at under 10,000 miles (no track days)
The intial turn in on the Evo is much better but you don't have the mechanical "feel" of the scooby as the centre diff adjusts and changes from understear to slight (we hope) overstear, the Evo is very much more diisconected from the driver.
Finaly those black alloy wheels look like the plastic wheel covers have fallen off (so my wife said).
They are more exclusive and hold the value better.
takes your choice.
Old 09 September 2005, 07:11 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

I drove a Evo 7 RS, the car was a beast, but dont think I could live with it as a everyday car, the bloody diff would get on my nerves, everytime I changed gears and gave it some, I could hear it banging under the back of the car.

Still I wouldnt say no to one.
Old 09 September 2005, 08:15 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My son test drove an FQ320 and with three of us in it, it really went! (and it only had a few hundred miles on it) The Recaros in the front are SUPERB - far better than the offerings in my STi The rest of the interior however, is quite awful. He was not totally convinced of the better performance until later in the day and with three people in his Sti PPP he realised the Evo really was quicker. For the money you think they would stretch to some kind of sound system, even if it was as bad as the STi's (long since replaced)
JohnD

PS He eventually ordered one!
Old 09 September 2005, 08:36 PM
The Fixer
Scooby Regular

Having owned 4 Impreza's, A UK 96, an STi 5, an STi 8 and my current project wagon, I much prefer my Evo Vii daily driver. Granted the Scooby cabin has a better quality feel to it (only just) as the Vii has Recaro interior but everything else about the EVO just speaks volumes over the Scoobies in terms of handling, feel, tuneabillity in terms of hp per pound. The service schedule is not that bad, only the active yaw bit needs doing frequently and in terms of reliabillity the 4G63 engine is milestones ahead! Add up what it costs to get a scoob to 350+ BHP and the extra money you would have saved tuning an EVO would cover the servicing.

Standard (absolutley no mods) EVO Vii, BP Ultimate, 288.8 HP & running rich at that, a simple boost controller should liberate 300+ without the need for noisy exhausts
Old 09 September 2005, 09:05 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

"The service schedule is not that bad"
Well I couldnt live with taking the car for 3 services a year

A work colleague sold his Scoob for an Evo 6 and sold it within a month. He now drives a Scoob again, so not everyones cup of tea.
Old 09 September 2005, 09:15 PM
THOMO
Scooby Regular

which evo 8? if its the gsr its down as 260 bhp on paper but seems to produce a tad more .(276bhp) .if your going to test drive an evo 8 it has to be the mr 320 in my eyes, its got the full allround package.i would find it hard to believe you would not be impressed with the mr 320 .
im selling my evo 6 for an evo8 .up to now the evo 6 is the best car ive owned and yes ive had scoobs.i must agree the front of the evo 8 is not that pretty.alltough i will be getting a gsr it will be modified by WRC silverstone to 360 bhp all for £2500.