Sponsored by:

mileage/clocking Jap v UK Impreza

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2005, 02:15 PM
Cosmic37
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry mileage/clocking Jap v UK Impreza

I put a deposit down on a UK Impreza (98/R std UK turbo saloon claiming 75k for £4000) a few weeks back and then found HPi records suggest it was clocked by >67k back in '02. I withdrew and the vendor gave back deposit, saying he didn't know which may be true. Gutting. Anyway, what do people think about how best to get a genuine mileage Impreza and do we believe in the mileages quoted on Japanese imports?

Do others have bad experiences about mileage and clocking on UK cars/Jap imports?

I am now looking for UK models with fsh AND MoTs to support mileage. But I was wondering about Jap imports. Esp if they come with a Jap service history which I can get translated. Does anyone have knowledge of translation of Jap service history and what to look for to investigate mileage?
Old 04 September 2005, 02:39 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Youll know whether the odometer reading by insisting on seeing the auction appraisal sheet. 'Clocking' happens after the cars have been sold, its non-existant in the Japanese car market.

Simon
Old 04 September 2005, 02:43 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Further to that; Japanese cars dotn have service histories. Less than one in one thousand cars goes through auction with any books, let alone a completed service history. Service records are computerised and a number of factors ensure that people service their cars as they should (think Germans x 100...).

Whenever I say this several people always reply that their car has a service history..... An extremely small minority may do, and more may have a paper service record completed by a servicing dealer, for the importers with a presence in Japan. Mostly theyre bobbins.

Simon
Old 04 September 2005, 02:46 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

BIMTA can perform a mileage check for you, by confirming the odometer reading on the original Japanese auction appraisal sheet. If youre dealing with a proper importer selling proper cars then this wouldnt be necessary, as the appraisal sheet is a selling point of the car and you can expect them to show it to you.

Simon