Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Actual 0-60 for MY54 WRX + PPP (265bhp)?

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2005, 10:39 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Actual 0-60 for MY54 WRX + PPP (265bhp)?

I've been told 4.8 secs ???

Just can't wait to try it out 3 weeks to go.
Old 02 September 2005, 10:49 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by jods

Thats what EVO quote.If you want to keep your clutch/ driveshafts/ gearbox for a while then steer clear of trying to match that time.
Old 02 September 2005, 10:50 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

agree with the above, they actually achieve this by bouncing the car off the limiter, then dumoing the clutch and full throttle change to 2nd.....

not very good for the old drivetrain
Old 02 September 2005, 10:51 PM
Ninnybobs
Scooby Regular

IMHO, you would be 'wringing it's neck' to get anywhere near those figures.

Martin
Old 02 September 2005, 11:13 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

I want to keep my new baby for a long time so I'll keep it down from standing starts.
Surely be okay to spank it from 40+ to 155
Old 03 September 2005, 12:26 AM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

I dont think 3500 rpm launches do it much harm. Just dont rip the clutch up - clutch is a consumable so let it take the strain rather than shocking the gearbox. I think you could get mid 5 seconds consistently without excessive wear and tear on a WRX PPP.

I have a bug-eye WRX with exhaust and filter pushing power to 230-235bhp (awaiting remap). I launch at 3500 rpm - relatively gently using the clutch to take the strain rather than the gearbox and can consitently hit a very low if not sub 6 second 0-60.

The trick is to use enough revs so that it won't get bogged down and fall out the turbo without being excess. Go 100% on the throttle as you bring the clutch up. It's a fine art but you can get a very fast launch with no wheel spin and no major gearbox stress.
Old 03 September 2005, 02:28 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

But 0-60 is sooooooooooo boring.
Save your gearbox and clutch unless you need to kill a few Cossie's at the Pod.
Leave the straight stuff to the muppets.
I didn't, and went through four gearboxes as a result. The AP clutch only made it worse, and while it was fun, it was boring.
Still, if anyone with a classic UK Scoob beats 4.5secs with proper timing gear I'd gladly pass them my mouldy crown!!!!!!!!!!

S.
Old 03 September 2005, 07:32 PM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine's uk classic did it in 4.1 timed. He comes on here ill get him to post his slip
Old 03 September 2005, 08:00 PM
Stiver3
Scooby Regular

Location: Braintree - 321BHP, 285Lbft-Perfect Standard' Ish STi Ver. III

I thought sti's were only 4.8secs???!!

And you got to take these 0-60s with a pinch of salt, as said, they tear the living hell out of the cars to get the times they say.
Old 03 September 2005, 08:54 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

i know no-one else will care but ive just had a race from the lights on a short stretch of dual carraigeway. my car is a standard 98 uk turbo with pea-shooter exhaust at moment.raced against 94 wrx with big exhaust. was quite surprised that by 90 , id pulled about 1.5 car lenghts on him. thought it would be the other way around as his should be making at least 240bhp and i had the slower outside lane on the bend at the start as well. probably helps that my car is meticulously maintained and only done 39000 and that wrx had probably been around the clock and last had an oil change 3 years ago in Tokoyo! But what the hell, always hearing the uk turbos slated so had to tell someone! Normally such a good boy as well- p.s sorry to go off subject on your thread!
Old 03 September 2005, 11:29 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

I think mileage makes a difference. Everybody knows that cars get faster as the engines losen up. This losening up eventually turns into a loss of compression that translates into slower. Quite when this happens I don't know...
Old 04 September 2005, 12:07 AM
dexter
Scooby Regular

I`ve seen that figure written down somewhere as well mate.

Recently had MY05 WRX PPP`d as well, and I can promise you, you won`t be sorry ! It transforms the power delivery, as there`s torque everywhere now, and the sound alone is probably worth the extra money.

Enjoy !
Old 04 September 2005, 01:29 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by leonpoole
A friend of mine's uk classic did it in 4.1 timed. He comes on here ill get him to post his slip
His Slip?????
I had a magazine article to back mine up!!!!!!!
Anyone remember the 'Scoob vs Cossie' shooutout in REVS all those years ago?
As I recall we trounced them!!!!!!!!!!

Sigh.....

S.

PS Here's the thread where we discussed the event, if anyone's interested.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...2306&highlight
Old 04 September 2005, 03:00 AM
anthscooby01
Scooby Regular

I got a bugeye WRX and thought at first it was well quick. However after 18 months of many 'duels' I find that standard UK WRX's are not at all quick. Handling is better than classic by far but I reckon engine gets breathless at about 4500 rpm.
Old 04 September 2005, 10:18 AM
PAUL CRAFTS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by anthscooby01
I got a bugeye WRX and thought at first it was well quick. However after 18 months of many 'duels' I find that standard UK WRX's are not at all quick. Handling is better than classic by far but I reckon engine gets breathless at about 4500 rpm.
HI mate i run 290 bhp sti type ra got few mods but still think that sort of 0-60 would be a bit rich.
Old 04 September 2005, 12:56 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mattvortex
i know no-one else will care but ive just had a race from the lights on a short stretch of dual carraigeway. my car is a standard 98 uk turbo with pea-shooter exhaust at moment.raced against 94 wrx with big exhaust. was quite surprised that by 90 , id pulled about 1.5 car lenghts on him. thought it would be the other way around as his should be making at least 240bhp and i had the slower outside lane on the bend at the start as well. probably helps that my car is meticulously maintained and only done 39000 and that wrx had probably been around the clock and last had an oil change 3 years ago in Tokoyo! But what the hell, always hearing the uk turbos slated so had to tell someone! Normally such a good boy as well- p.s sorry to go off subject on your thread!
his car is faster, he cant drive it properly thats all
Old 04 September 2005, 01:55 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flat4_ire
his car is faster, he cant drive it properly thats all
iam not so sure-after all,im no michael schumacher! ive actually driven somebody elses 93 wrx and my 98 uk turbo feels and is slightly quicker than that as well. I think ive just got a particularly good one- before i bought this one ,id tried several other uk turbos and mine was the smoothest, quickest of the lot. As mentioned before, i think it helps that i look after mine properly- fluid and filters always changed when due and earlier, never drive hard until warm and i dont thrash it all the time, where as alot of the import wrxs arent looked after properly, always get hammered and are a bit tired hence why most standard ones are no quicker than my uk turbo
Old 04 September 2005, 02:00 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

With a standard exhaust there is no way your 98 UK Turbo is quicker than a WRX with non-standard exhaust

Old 04 September 2005, 02:56 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanley
With a standard exhaust there is no way your 98 UK Turbo is quicker than a WRX with non-standard exhaust

Shock horror-but it is!! I was as surprised as you but thats the second one now. My mate, who has a 93WRX was in denial like yourself until he drove mine and had to admit my car felt stronger and this was confirmed after with a quick side by side up the dual-carriageway. I know it should have been other way around but thats what happened!

Last edited by mattvortex; 04 September 2005 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04 September 2005, 04:11 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanley

That's a very sweeping statement and I have to agree with Matt, it is more than possible.
We obviously don't know what state the old WRX was in, but you simply can't state that a certain car can't be beaten because it has more power. If that was the case I'd have got my *** whooped on track by every WRX and STi!
We all know that the most important element of a car is the person sitting behind the wheel. It has to be said that in a straight drag race driver skill becomes less important and the cars power moreso, hence the possible concern over the condition of the WRX's powertrain. Put drivers of equal ability in both cars and the outcome MAY have been different.

S.

Last edited by Stef; 04 September 2005 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04 September 2005, 04:44 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Well I have a well cared for my99 classic for sale.
FSSH, Standard UK Spec, 12 months MOT, 9 months Subaru Warranty available, 6 months road tax, SS back box. New pads all round, New disks on front - rear disks have got stacks of life in them.
4 New Tyres recently fitted
74k driven - has had 75 k service though - next service due in Dec / Jan

Sad to see her go but I just don't have room for two scoobs and a beemer on the drive sadly

Sensible offers over 5500 entertained

Last edited by jods; 18 September 2005 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04 September 2005, 05:54 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Using a G-tech meter on the Evo V I used to get 5.5secs to 60 from a normal start, ie engage clutch fully then floor it, Repeatable time after time that way!!
dave
Old 17 September 2005, 09:04 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Knew I`d seen it somewhere mate, have a look at the link from Subaru`s site:

http://www.subaru.co.uk/IMGGB/WWW/Su...0WRX%20PPP.pdf

Don`t think I could get it down to that sort of figure, but yes, it IS quick.

Enjoy mate, it`s worth the money.
Old 17 September 2005, 09:12 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

I had a uk my98 turbo about 208bhp and now have a my00 320bhp wrx. The wrx feels slightly quicker to me.
Old 17 September 2005, 10:22 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

will consider 5750 ono

Last edited by jods; 18 September 2005 at 10:03 PM.
Old 18 September 2005, 12:49 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

OKAY - Take offers then ??
Old 18 September 2005, 05:42 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

My old 03 WRX (270bhp - TEK3 - decat etc) did 0-60 in 5.1 secs on my race technology accelerometer. That was *launching* it well in the boost zone (approx 4krpm) and then flat changing into 2nd.

I did a few red line launches and I was getting too much wheel spin and the times were not as low as claimed by Evo et al but was a couple of tenths more. (oops edit as I cant type!)

Last edited by billythekid; 18 September 2005 at 05:45 PM.
Old 18 September 2005, 10:04 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

You got four wheels burning ?? Nice 1
Old 19 September 2005, 10:10 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Yeah, if I was using less revs I would not get a very good time or bog down, and if I just side stepped the clutch from the red line I got too much wheelspin to get near the evo times. I think the surface did not help (quite slippy old tarmac)
Old 19 September 2005, 09:21 PM
mcvicar
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Stef
That's a very sweeping statement and I have to agree with Matt, it is more than possible.
We obviously don't know what state the old WRX was in, but you simply can't state that a certain car can't be beaten because it has more power. If that was the case I'd have got my *** whooped on track by every WRX and STi!
We all know that the most important element of a car is the person sitting behind the wheel. It has to be said that in a straight drag race driver skill becomes less important and the cars power moreso, hence the possible concern over the condition of the WRX's powertrain. Put drivers of equal ability in both cars and the outcome MAY have been different.

S.
I agree, driver skill is not as paramount on a drag race as opposed to a street or track race, however a lot of time can be lost on a simple drag race if the driver does not know when to or how to change gear at the correct time for example (basics). All you experienced people will know what I am talking about. Lets face it, by the time that drag race got to 90mph the uk car should have been seeing tail lights.
The only other thing i can think of is, that apart from the import being knackered, perhaps the uk car has had some work that the new owner does not know about.

Quick Reply: Actual 0-60 for MY54 WRX + PPP (265bhp)?