ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spec c ra /jdm sti/uk owners opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2005, 09:11 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile Spec c ra /jdm sti/uk owners opinions please

After a lot of soul searching I find it is nearly time to sell my modified uk bugeye wrx in the next couple of months and have decided to go for one of the above but which one?any feedback or comments for or against would be most appreciated.
cheers
gussy
Old 30 August 2005, 09:33 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a uk300 wrx PPP prior to buying a 04' JDM STI with full Milltek system and remap. The only thing they really share in common is the dashboard, everything else is differnet. The brakes are a lot better, suspension is better, engine performance and response is in different league and you get all the extras like DDCD-A, HID lights elec mirrors, twin-scroll turbo, equal length headers, uprated bottom end and a really nice clock display. I
think these extras are now finding their way on to new uk spec cars although they still don't have twin-scroll turbos, equal length headers and the uprated bottom end - the red line on mine is 8,000 comapred to 7,500 on uk cars with 337bhp compared to 265 forthe uk (300 with PPP)

For me they are two very different cars each with their good and bad points - try getting a drive in each and use your own judgement

As for the spec C that goes up another league. Basically a stripped down JDM STI with differnet suspension set up and bigger intercoller tank. A lot rougher round the edges but a real monster.

Last edited by pippyrips; 30 August 2005 at 09:36 PM. Reason: editied due to crap spelling!
Old 30 August 2005, 09:43 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car

Pippyrips Im actually leaning towards the new 06 model spec c if the truth be known.
Old 30 August 2005, 10:03 PM
Scooby Regular

Hey Rob, I'm still looking for a car (I spoke to you a couple of times on the phone for advice), I need one for October when I go to Scotland for a couple of weeks and I want something fun for when I get North of Stirling

I'm looking for a white my04 STi and the only one I've found is a JDM at API but you hear so many conflicting stories about JDM cars that I don't know what's truth and what's not.

The JDM car sounds like the one to get but they seem difficult to sell, you see the same cars week in week out in Autotrader. PM me a message would you with the price you paid for your car.

Last edited by 365; 30 August 2005 at 10:07 PM.
Old 31 August 2005, 12:57 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

gussy - good choice!
Old 31 August 2005, 08:31 PM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

I was faced with the same choice as you last year and had no hesitation in going for the Spec C RA. Noticably quicker than JDM STi and laughs at UK STis (although I didn't try one with a PPP). Wouldn't say the Spec C is rough around the edges ... more focussed than an STi for sure but the weight saving measures are not particularly intrusive (apart from the lack of trim in the boot ... but I rather like that as shopping can be wedged next to the spare wheel ) nor is the noise. The ride is definitely firm but I've never found it to be a problem.

9 months and 8k miles after getting mine I have absolutely no regrets. Its a family car gets used for shopping trips, long journeys, trackdays, and B-road blasts. It's our only car and we all love it.
Old 31 August 2005, 09:04 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

spec-cie,
Unlike you my 2 kids and wife hate my impreza(she has a 2.2 Honda accord coupe) so I get the best of both worlds no shopping to do and she rarely drives it.So I know the new one whichever I decide on wouln't have sweet wrappers shoved down the back seats and pop spilt everywhere
Old 31 August 2005, 09:23 PM
baddermans
BANNED

what about this little beauty http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=452692

JDM JDM JDM JDM JDM JDM JDM JDM JDM JDM JDM JDM JDM JDM JDM JDM ALL THE WAY................

Last edited by baddermans; 31 August 2005 at 09:25 PM.
Old 31 August 2005, 09:39 PM
mk type R
Scooby Regular

Just brought a spec c wr limited, being delivered on friday, Its the nuts!!! have had a V5 type R for nearly 4 years this is miles better and is considarably faster So im with the rest of you (Spec C all the way).....
Old 01 September 2005, 11:32 AM
jcullen
Scooby Regular

Quick question for u Spec C owners, do they have isofix in the back, and does the rear seat have a fold down panel?
Cheers
Old 01 September 2005, 11:35 AM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

it comes down:

do you want a warrenty -----> go UK
Can you insure a JDM? -----> if not, go UK

all in all piece of mind vs performance
Old 01 September 2005, 02:41 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Nice car badders mate but Im looking at the new 06 jdm sti.Automodellistagt as for insurance that isn't a problem for me either as for warrenty that is something I will have to look into closer to the date.
Old 01 September 2005, 06:15 PM
mk type R
Scooby Regular

Warrenty isnt a problem, Litchfields gives a year on all cars & can be extended to 3 years for about £500

Originally Posted by gussy
Nice car badders mate but Im looking at the new 06 jdm sti.Automodellistagt as for insurance that isn't a problem for me either as for warrenty that is something I will have to look into closer to the date.
Old 01 September 2005, 09:18 PM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gussy
spec-cie,
Unlike you my 2 kids and wife hate my impreza(she has a 2.2 Honda accord coupe) so I get the best of both worlds no shopping to do and she rarely drives it.So I know the new one whichever I decide on wouln't have sweet wrappers shoved down the back seats and pop spilt everywhere
Lucky get

Even more reason to not bother with 'luxuries' like HID lights and a rear wiper and get a Spec C.
Old 01 September 2005, 09:19 PM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mk type R
Just brought a spec c wr limited, being delivered on friday, Its the nuts!!! have had a V5 type R for nearly 4 years this is miles better and is considarably faster So im with the rest of you (Spec C all the way).....
Nice one mk type r ... I've got a WR Limited too and they are the dogs bo11ox. Someone asked me if it was a WRX 300 so it's a bit of a sleeper too if you stick with the low-level spoiler.
Old 01 September 2005, 09:20 PM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jcullen
Quick question for u Spec C owners, do they have isofix in the back, and does the rear seat have a fold down panel?
Cheers
Dunno what isofix is. But the rear seats don't fold down: the seat is solid and sealed and the intercooler waterspray tank sits across the back.
Old 02 September 2005, 06:18 PM
mk type R
Scooby Regular

Good to hear someone else with one.... Iain @ Litchfields said there was only 9 WR Limited's in the country.... Do you think this is true..
Gota wait till tomorrow to get it delivered now
Gona be worth the wait though, Git some nice toys too will post pics within the next week or so,
(went for the carbon fibre spec c spoiler) I know not many people like them (think thats why i do...)

Got any pics of yours???

Originally Posted by spec-cie
Nice one mk type r ... I've got a WR Limited too and they are the dogs bo11ox. Someone asked me if it was a WRX 300 so it's a bit of a sleeper too if you stick with the low-level spoiler.
Old 02 September 2005, 06:40 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

Warrenty isnt a problem, Litchfields gives a year on all cars & can be extended to 3 years for about £500
no offence to litchfields but id stick to a full UK DEALER warrenty for peace of mind

Last edited by automodellistagt; 02 September 2005 at 06:41 PM. Reason: spelling is aweful
Old 02 September 2005, 08:14 PM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

Good to hear someone else with one.... Iain @ Litchfields said there was only 9 WR Limited's in the country.... Do you think this is true..
Gota wait till tomorrow to get it delivered now
Gona be worth the wait though, Git some nice toys too will post pics within the next week or so,
(went for the carbon fibre spec c spoiler) I know not many people like them (think thats why i do...)

Got any pics of yours???
Yes, 9 sounds about right. MOG (on here) has one in Type 25 spec and I've heard from a couple of other people who've mailed me to tell me about theirs.

Some old pics here, plus other info. Need to take some new ones as car now sports some Scott Lowe mudflaps with the SWRT logo on ...
Old 03 September 2005, 10:53 AM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by automodellistagt
no offence to litchfields but id stick to a full UK DEALER warrenty for peace of mind

Having seen the service my mate has received on his P1, waiting 5 weeks to get his car back (& still waiting!!), never phone him, car left out in the rain, refused a courtesy car etc. etc., I would stick with my 3yr independant subaru warranty for peace of mind. No offence.
Old 03 September 2005, 11:15 AM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

oh come on and how many people have had trouble with independant warrentys
Old 03 September 2005, 12:57 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

Reputable Subaru Independants such as Litchfield and Hendry Cars run very good extended warranty schemes, I have one myself. I havent heard anyone on here complaining about their schemes. If you know more then fair enough.
Old 03 September 2005, 02:26 PM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

One of the reasons I bought a JDM car rather than another UK car (after four years with an MY00 PPP classic) is the absolutely crap service I received from two local dealers. Since buying my Spec C I've dealt with Powerstation and Xtreme Scoobies ... dealers could learn a lot from these guys.

Not tested warranties either way but, for me, good regular service is at least as important.
Old 03 September 2005, 02:36 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

all the way.....
Old 03 September 2005, 05:01 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive probably owned a Blobeye Spec C longer than virtually anyone on here so ill give you my feedback on ownership

1. Comfort.

You get the following, a drivers seat, if you want any more, dont get a spec c

2. Ride

Firm, very firm infact, quite enthusiastic at higher speeds but very absorbant, you definately need 2 hands on the steering wheel when you get up into the bigger kmh figures (130 for example )

3. Handling

Cant say anything about this, except excellent grips in the dry with the RE070's like your glued to the road, even good in the wet, just a bit dicey when its damp, and dont change the tyres to non-RE070's, that just upsets the way the car is, it wont be that good again due to the ammount of flex you get in other tyres, the RE070's give you virtually zero

4. Ownership

Drinks fuel like its going out of fashion, the smaller 50ltr fueltank doesnt help, they added the other 10ltrs to the intercooler water tank, and it drinks that in summer too!
Servicing is every 6 months, 7.5k miles, whichever is first, normally changed before that though, and the gearbox oil needs changing at 15k or 1year, whichever is first due to the A-DCCD.
The in gear power is something you wont find in any UK car, I caught up a very quick moving honda civic which flew passed me today and he was foot to the floor, and that was in 6th from 80 (kmh of course!)

5. Model variants

Normally 3 versions available:-

(note the inch denotes what wheel size these are)
16 inch, used for rallying, subaru 4 pot brakes, steel wheels, lighter than the 17 inch by about 30kg
17 inch, normally one that looks bland, more like a wrx than an STi but weights in at 1350kg, it doesnt need changing, its meant to be a sleeper
Limited edition, the last one being the Type RA, MY05 model year, know of one in the UK that isnt sold, lovely car just people dont know what it is, weight is about 1370kg, slightly less than a standard WRX.

Other bits.....
As has been said, you dont get much in one of these cars, dont buy it for the performance if you cant live with the car, a normal JDM STi is a very good alternative, and finding a Spec C on the road..... well ive seen 1 other one, in 21 months.
No soundproofing, you do notice, especially with a different exhaust fitted, no electric windows or mirrors, mirrors are adjusted by pushing the glass, windows have winders, no central locking, though a/c seems to be fitted to the ones ive seen (17 inch)
No carpet in the boot, and as per all STi's a solid rear bulkhead for rigidity
Standard colour is white, if you dont like white on the 16 or 17 inch then also dont buy, but it looks the best and white is a special order on ALL other imprezas!

Alternatives.....

JDM STi, has the comforts, new ones have some of the same suspension parts (arms etc) but not the dampers/springs i believe.
S203. Rare as rocking horse.... may be 2 or 3 in the country, 320ps out of the factory, came in a few colours, MY05 model, based on the Spec C but with all the comforts and tuned by STi, worth looking at if you have the cash to afford one (think they were going for around 35k new).

Tony
Old 03 September 2005, 05:46 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buying an import nowadays is a lot less hassle than it used to be, regarding running, warrantys, insurance and maintenance (if you use the respected experts in this field).

I have a Spec C and love it to bits.... wouldnt change it for the world (well apart from a new Spec C ).

Mine, probably developed more than most other Spec C's, it is an awesomely quick and terrific road car. These cars are quick and well sorted out of the box, but once modified with selective bits they really are head and shoulders above anything else in the current Scooby range (if your after the ultimate).

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 03 September 2005, 07:35 PM
mk type R
Scooby Regular

Talking

No offence but uk owners need to open there eyes, servicing/warrenty/parts all no problem........ + the benifits of a much better and rare cars,
one day a uk car might catch up with the JDM....... Or maybe never! ha ha
Old 03 September 2005, 08:09 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Actually I was very surprised when the UK '05 car was announced. I'd just ordered a new JDM STI, so compared to the car being offered at the time by UK dealers, I was paying an extra £1000 or so and getting: HID lights, Spec C wheelbase and suspension geometry, twin scroll turbo, DCCD-A, rear wash/wipe, electric folding mirrors, equal length headers, quick steering, fancy illuminated dials, climate control, revised interior and a much better engine.

The phrase "no-brainer" sprang to mind.

Then, while I was waiting for delivery, the UK/EU '05 spec was announced, including a lot more of the changes than I was expecting. With hindsight, I might have been better off saving a few grand and buying an EU import - but then again, there's always something better around the corner and it's never the perfect time to buy a new car.
Old 04 September 2005, 08:29 AM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns

1. Comfort.

You get the following, a drivers seat, if you want any more, dont get a spec c
Tony, you always make this point in these threads on Spec C's and I always disagree. I find the Spec C more comfortable than my MY00 classic, as do my wife and son who've both done many 300 mile + journies in both. Depends what your used to I guess. If you're used to comfy family or exec cars you'll find it harsh, if you're used to un-comfy cars you may not.

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Other bits.....
As has been said, you dont get much in one of these cars, dont buy it for the performance if you cant live with the car, a normal JDM STi is a very good alternative, and finding a Spec C on the road..... well ive seen 1 other one, in 21 months.
No soundproofing, you do notice, especially with a different exhaust fitted, no electric windows or mirrors, mirrors are adjusted by pushing the glass, windows have winders, no central locking, though a/c seems to be fitted to the ones ive seen (17 inch)
No carpet in the boot, and as per all STi's a solid rear bulkhead for rigidity
Standard colour is white, if you dont like white on the 16 or 17 inch then also dont buy, but it looks the best and white is a special order on ALL other imprezas!
As you'll see from the thread title, the guy's looking at RAs which generally have c/l, elec windows, ac etc all for the price of ~20kgs. They also come with usable boot, rear and passenger seats, etc. Soundproofing is definitely better than a classic PPP even if it is worse than a curent WRX or STi, Stick with the standard exhaust and it is very quiet. Change it and the increase in noise may not bother you; I had my Miltek sound checked at prodrive and it was producing 110 dBs. The PPP was measured at 102 and, from the driver's seat, the Spec C is definitely the quieter of the two.

Perhaps the reason you've only seen one other Spec C on the road is that whenever someone asks about them on here you try and make out they are raw and uncomfortable cars. I agree people should try before they buy, and are probably not suitable if you have two small kids to ferry about. But these are not Caterhams, Radicals or Ariels - they're usable four-door saloons that are fabulous on the track and the B-roads.
Old 04 September 2005, 08:32 AM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster
Mine, probably developed more than most other Spec C's, it is an awesomely quick and terrific road car. These cars are quick and well sorted out of the box, but once modified with selective bits they really are head and shoulders above anything else in the current Scooby range (if your after the ultimate).
What have you had done Shaun? I'm looking at first round of mods for mine (apart from Miltek fitted a bit after I bought it) and have just started researching what to do.

Paul

Last edited by spec-cie; 04 September 2005 at 01:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Spec c ra /jdm sti/uk owners opinions please