Sponsored by:

Stolen MY04 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2005, 11:57 AM
ycymro
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Stolen MY04 WRX

Nicked off my driveway last week - it's standard WRX spec, WR blue, 10K on the clock. There was no sign of a forced entry, and the car was seen being driven away. My local police have been of no help - "what you didn't have a tracker fitted" and even though the car was serviced at a Scooby dealer only the day before, "have been in touch with the manager and he tells us that they have to send off for replacement keys". Effectively it's case closed. Has anyone else had a scooby pinched. I know that certain dealerships can supply a new key - provided the car is there - in a few minutes. Any thoughts.
Old 29 August 2005, 11:59 AM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

What area bud ?

Rob
Old 29 August 2005, 02:44 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

A bloke who lives across the road from my uncle, had 3 blokes kick his door down at night and put a gun to his head, demanding the keys to his new WRX, while his kids were a sleep upstairs, the police found the car a few hours later.

I think he sold the car as soon as he got it back, which I dont blame him, if I had kids, and someone put me in that same situation, The car would be straight up the road.
Old 29 August 2005, 02:59 PM
Karl-AL
Scooby Regular

if they drove it away they must of had a key for it, are you sure it was driven away
Old 29 August 2005, 03:48 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

As others are hinting, are you sure it wasn't towed or carried, and I would be very suspicious of the fact that it had been in the dealers recently. I'm sure if the situation is repeated that the Police may investigate them, but you also have to ask why they would specifically choose a standard WRX, when they could potentially have the choice of a brand new STi-PPP Although the lack of a Tracker may be the reason yours was chosen
A friend of mine whom needed an engine to put into a grasstrack car struggled like mad to get a new-age Scooby engine from a scrappers to work. The engine simply won't run without the correct key verified by the sensor in the ignition barrel, and that barrel is then varified by the ECU. He eventually gave up and bought a classic engine instead.

Sorry to hear of your trouble, and I hope you get it resolved
Old 29 August 2005, 04:51 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

There has been a few scoobys stolen near my area, have all been brand new standard WRX's,

Made me think that if you were going to steal a fast getaway car to do a crime, would you chose a brand new STi with big wing and gold wheels and a big loud exhaust, Kind of says "look at me".

I think the WRX with a low level spoiler, kind of blends in with other cars and doesnt draw as much attention, but still does the job at getting away pretty fast.

Still these muppets who steal these cars, should have there hands cut off.
Old 29 August 2005, 05:45 PM
wrighty69
Scooby Regular

Always have a tracker fitted! They can still nick your car, but at least you still have half a chance of getting it back, the key is speed, get the tracker armed and get the police involved, before the thieves start looking for it and rip it out.

Tht RAC trackstar plus is good because the traker arms if the car is hot wired or moved without the key being in the ignition. Just keep your keys out of view, if someone breaks in and threatens you just give them the keys the activate the traker as soon as they drive off.

I know this is'nt of any help now, but your brand new 06 scoob that you'll be getting from your insurance company, get a tracker fitted.
Old 29 August 2005, 06:35 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Tracker is ok... if you want the car back after some toe-rag has knocked ten bells out of it from cold.. personally I'd rather not see it again..!
Old 29 August 2005, 06:44 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Blackjax is my favoured protection. Lets them drive off, but they won't get chance to thrash or crash (hopefully) as it will cut out within a mile or so. I have Tracker too, but that is way down the list of security measures I'd want, with BJ being top.
Old 29 August 2005, 08:44 PM
ycymro
Scooby Newbie

Definitely was - it was seen being driven off the drive a few minutes before I discovered it was gone.
Originally Posted by Karl-AL
if they drove it away they must of had a key for it, are you sure it was driven away
Old 29 August 2005, 09:18 PM
KeithRS
Scooby Regular

If i was you i would contact subaru direct and ask them the quation regarding replacement keys and the estimated time to obtain a copy from original and to whether the garages statement is true. If not provide this evidence to the police and get them to investigate. Not blaming the garage, but i would be highly suspicious of this given the timescales stated, and the fact that they would have a proper chance to see whether a tracker was fitted.

Given the managers statement about a replacement set of keys having to be ordered, if you find out this not to be the case then i would also suspect involvment, but thats just my opinion.

Never heard of any new age impreza being stolen without the keys. Think about it, do you think the theives would resort to breaking into your house and often as stated with armed weapons to get the keys, if all they had to do was tinker about with the ignition.

Anyone else think this is strange? or am i just being daft!
Old 29 August 2005, 09:25 PM
JamieMiller
Scooby Regular

You don't have to order the keys if you have one to copy. To save a bit of cash I bought a blank key from subaru and took it to mister mint with my original. Then took it back to the garage and they programmed it in for me. Saved me about £40 I think.
Just a thought, can't see any other way possible to take the car.
Old 29 August 2005, 09:33 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

they can have mine. it's pishing oil out

on a serious note, it happened to me- had my 5 series and the MY01 nicked in 2002. the 5 disappeared never to be heard of again, the Impreza was found undamaged, but unfortunately, quite badly mentally bruised if that makes sense. went through three engines and just never felt the same again.
Old 30 August 2005, 12:43 PM
petesharpe
Scooby Regular

Tracker is ok, but realistically do you want your car to end up in a chase with the local bobbys, with an inexperienced driver trying to handle it and no doubt end up crashing it! plus tracker devices are only fitted to traffic police cars and helicopters, so, the everyday police cars that you see driving around, would not have a clue if it was directly infront of them!

My opinion, car theives are the scum of the earth, should be hung, drawn and quatered in public!

Pete
Old 30 August 2005, 03:15 PM
Wannabe
Scooby Regular

hi guys,

My mates a copper and he told me that our force(northumbria police) have tracker systems in the panda cars which are 1.4 16 valve Ford Focus's, which to me is pointless as what the hell you gonna chase in a 1400 focus, a shopping trolley or something

Sy
Old 30 August 2005, 03:22 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Blackjax is my favoured protection. Lets them drive off, but they won't get chance to thrash or crash (hopefully) as it will cut out within a mile or so. I have Tracker too, but that is way down the list of security measures I'd want, with BJ being top.
Agreed. I've heard too many instances of where Tracker has either not worked when its been needed/when someone has just phoned up to get it checked as a sensible precaution, or been found and deactivated by theives.

That's to say nothing of the fact that it may be some time before the police catch up with them, even if it does work as intended. Who knows what they might do to it in that space of time.

Prevention is much better than recovery!!

NS04