Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scooby ownership, whats the point?

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2005, 09:01 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Scooby ownership, whats the point?

Now that SUL has nearly reached the dreaded £1/litre mark one has to ask oneself is ownership of such a thirsty vehicle really worthwhile? Especially when one can purchase a VAG pumpe duse diesel variant (Skoda Fabia VRS, Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI160, Seat Lean Cupra TDI, VW Golf GT TDI DSG, Audi A3 TDI etc, the list is endless) which lets face it are perfectly fast enough on todays choked up roads. I am seriously thinking of ditching my MY05 PPP wagon after just 4 months of ownership. Why? you might ask. Well, I have been blown away by a Seat Leon Cupra R on the A11, minced mid range by an Audi A4 2.4 TDI and nearly obliterated by a VW Golf R32

Time to reflect on the point of Scooby ownership
Old 27 August 2005, 09:07 PM
Kel - Home
Scooby Regular

The point for myself is that i love the way they look and handle...

If it is economy you're looking for then why on Earth did you buy a blob eye with PPP?

If it is the fact that other cars have blown you away, sell the Scoob and buy yourself a Skyline R33 GTR, then you should have no problem being the King of the Road (still, how a Leon CR blew you away i don't know - my old '93 WRX has taken care of plenty of those)

How's about a nice diesel for the weekday traffic then treat the Scoob to a nice run out in the country on the weekend?

Kel
Old 27 August 2005, 09:23 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Wink

The Leon CR was wickedly fast, I am still in shock believe me, was it chipped? I am not bothered about economy I am prepared to pay £3/litre, you have missed the point of discussion. What I am saying is what is the point in owning a Scooby with lead balloon depreciation, poor economy etc when a VAG vehicle is equally as fast on todays roads?

p.s. Handling is a different issue and is really subjective depending upon your point of view. All decent modern cars today go round corners well and grip like limpets.

Last edited by bluto22b; 27 August 2005 at 09:25 PM.
Old 27 August 2005, 09:28 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by bluto22b
The Leon CR was wickedly fast, I am still in shock believe me, was it chipped? I am not bothered about economy I am prepared to pay £3/litre, you have missed the point of discussion. What I am saying is what is the point in owning a Scooby with lead balloon depreciation, poor economy etc when a VAG vehicle is equally as fast on todays roads?

p.s. Handling is a different issue and is really subjective depending upon your point of view. All decent modern cars today go round corners well and grip like limpets.
So why did you buy a Subaru? Buy a VW product and you'll be happy.
Old 27 August 2005, 09:48 PM
New_scooby_04

Because we like em....simple as that! Some people like The Leon (also poor depreciation and economy), some like Scoobies.

Most likely a chipped one (can't recall the name of the firm, AMD?), takes them up to about 270bhp. Still shouldn't be enough to "Blow you away" in a new age PPP and there is no way it would take a properly driven scooby on the twisties and in the damp/wet, forget it....it just can't put its power down!! The Scooby is still the best A-B all weather affordable performance car.

NS04
Old 27 August 2005, 09:53 PM
Kevadair
Scooby Regular

Now that SUL has nearly reached the dreaded £1/litre mark one has to ask oneself is ownership of such a thirsty vehicle really worthwhile? Especially when one can purchase a VAG pumpe duse diesel variant (Skoda Fabia VRS, Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI160, Seat Lean Cupra TDI, VW Golf GT TDI DSG, Audi A3 TDI etc, the list is endless) which lets face it are perfectly fast enough on todays choked up roads. I am seriously thinking of ditching my MY05 PPP wagon after just 4 months of ownership. Why? you might ask. Well, I have been blown away by a Seat Leon Cupra R on the A11, minced mid range by an Audi A4 2.4 TDI and nearly obliterated by a VW Golf R32

Time to reflect on the point of Scooby ownership
Fair and very honest point mate

Depending on what gear you are in and where about in the rev range you are there are quite a few cars that will give the scoob a run for its money.

A friend of mine has an A4 2.5 V6 TDI and its scary fast for a diesel and can well keep up with my scoob in certain situations.

Yes the fuel bills are nasty and yes the insurance is bad and yes it's crap first thing in the morning and yes the standard brakes are shocking.........BUT

What else makes that growl, that mad boost when the turbo kicks in and the joy of driveing every day no matter how small the journey.

For me nothing and in I've had 4 x Fords (1 x XR3,XR2, 1.6i ghia, Fiesta RS Turbo. BMW 318i and 320i, ASTRA GTE and 2.2 Linea Rossa, and some others not worth a mention.

Am 2 months into scooby ownership and not the slightest thought of a swap so far........thats a first for me
Old 27 August 2005, 09:55 PM
Jdub
Scooby Regular

To be honest Bluto if you are asking these sorts of questions I think its you that has missed the point of owning a Scoob or similar car, your original point was about the price of fuel, yet you say you are willing to pay £3 a litre later on, a seat is just a seat and how many Golfs are there on the roads today? the point of a Subaru I think is this: you own a near as dam it a road going rally car, there are plentity of cars that will see a Scoob of on a motor way this is not where a Scoob is king, if you want to be king of the motor way buy an M3 or big Merc, however put it on the twisties and it will leave most cars for dead, also at a set of trafic lights if you want to see some one off unless they are driving a Lambo you are pretty much garuntied to win (or maybe an EVO!!).

As for depriciation, well I think any one that buys a new car is crasy, however a scoob dosn't do much more than most other cars, but if thats what bothers you why on earth did you buy an 05 plate, what is even more crasy is considering buying a Skoda!!!!!!!
Old 27 August 2005, 10:18 PM
RR
Scooby Regular

Come join the boys and buy a Seat, you can go faster as you already know, for less insurance costs, better mpg, and draw less attention.

www.seatcupra.net

Last edited by RR; 28 August 2005 at 09:56 AM.
Old 27 August 2005, 10:23 PM
Jdub
Scooby Regular

Or buy the new WRX that looks like a Seat!!!!!!!!!
Old 27 August 2005, 10:31 PM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

RR - You are dreaming - Granted a chipped LCR will see off an Impreza but how do you come to the conclusion that they are cheaper insurance. I toyed with a Lean Cupra R that had been Revo'd to 270BHP and the insurance was way more than the scoob. Add to the fact that they cant get their power down and squirm and you are forking out for a new set of tyres more often than you should - And those tyres aint cheap.

And what MPG do you reckon a Revo'd LCR will do.

Its another one of those bloody posts aint it - My car is faster than a scoob when I spent £x tuning it up - every day there is another thread like this -compare like for like.

Put a top Scoob against the top Seat and then compare - No contest.

Last edited by ScooBStu; 27 August 2005 at 10:34 PM.
Old 27 August 2005, 10:31 PM
tracktime
Scooby Regular

Scoob owner .

Spends to much on fuel, insurance and tarty bits.

Bit of a ugly bloke, with a below av looling , thin 'bird' with big knockers .

Good chance he will work in IT ( not to successful)

Can't drive but thinks he can

Bit of a Tw@t realy

Rob
Old 27 August 2005, 10:33 PM
Stu_WRX
Scooby Regular

This is becoming an all to common thread lately. Many people are reaping the benefits of the VAG PD engines and the mid range power they offer coupled with pretty good economy.

There is a growing list of ex Scooby owners over at Briskoda and I'm sure the other VAG forums are the same.

The outgoing Octy VRS can be bought pre regged for around the 12k mark in some places - thats a whole lot of car for your ££.

Scoobies are getting hard to get rid of, the market is full of them as people jump ship for cars that are cheaper to run.
Old 27 August 2005, 10:39 PM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tracktime
Scoob owner .

Bit of a Tw@t realy

Rob
Why are you even a member of Scoobynet - Tosser.
Old 27 August 2005, 10:58 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Originally Posted by ScooBStu
Why are you even a member of Scoobynet - Tosser.
Old 27 August 2005, 11:09 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

Anybody else think its a bit strange how many non-Scooby owners seem to like posting up on here about how their car (usually a remapped diesel) can keep up with an Impreza (usually a standard bug-eye) in a straight line from 50 to 100mph? They then proceed to tell you how much cheaper to run and cooler their cars are generally. Quite flattering really how the Impreza is THE benchmark to beat, but it is becoming all too apparent that these people simply don't understand what an Impreza is all about or are just bitter that they can't afford to run one.

An Impreza with reasonably affordable mods will trouble Porsches off the lights up to 100mph. Maybe I should go on a Porsche forum and tell them how much money they are ‘wasting’ on their cars, how sad they are and how my Impreza is so much 'better'. Actually I don't think I'll bother, might come across as a bit of a ****.
Old 27 August 2005, 11:12 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Scoob owner .

Bit of a Tw@t realy

Rob

Wahey!...another comrade. Welcome to the fold
Old 27 August 2005, 11:19 PM
tracktime
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Wahey!...another comrade. Welcome to the fold
thats me
Old 27 August 2005, 11:24 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

None of this bothers me.
I just love my Scooby.

Old 27 August 2005, 11:27 PM
tracktime
Scooby Regular

ali thanks for the dump valve m8
Old 27 August 2005, 11:28 PM
japimpal
Scooby Newbie

i agree although i have not long had my scooby as i am from the kneedown biking world, i find the scooby hard to beat from an all round everyday car which can be used to blat round backlanes staying with some bikes on corners and blows most perfomance cars off at the lights as these tend to be rwd and alright have loads of bhp but are only as good as the tyres/surface they are on, apart from evo`s (expensive and troublesome) i don`t believe there is a better fun car at mo. and as for fuel prices have you noticed diesel is creeping up faster than petrol and i don`t really believe they are quicker then petrol cars otherwise ferrari would be using them, p.s want cheap transport buy a scooter and look a real **** trying to race vag engines!!
Old 27 August 2005, 11:37 PM
tracktime
Scooby Regular

VAG means Value And Go

NOT

Stupid C@@ts nO mOtor Bloody Skint

Last edited by tracktime; 27 August 2005 at 11:40 PM.
Old 27 August 2005, 11:41 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

ali thanks for the dump valve m8
No worries, Give me a call if you want a flamer kit

(petrol + matches )
Old 27 August 2005, 11:48 PM
japimpal
Scooby Newbie

even clarkson hates deseasel`s so they must be sh**te and the VAGinas that drive em!
Old 28 August 2005, 12:01 AM
Kel - Home
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'm afraid that if pushed not many modern day cars handle anywhere near as good as a Scoob (i'm lucky - i drive many cars in my job, they may be rep' mobiles but hey, a modern car is a modern car!).

It sounds like you don't drive that hard and you don't push your car to the limit (why did you bother with the PPP?). So, horses for courses, you are probaby better with a nice little Seat "that corners well and grips like a limpet"

Good luck with whatever you change to mate!

Kel
Old 28 August 2005, 12:02 AM
tracktime
Scooby Regular

LOL ali

westi might need it
Old 28 August 2005, 12:54 AM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

LOL ali

westi might need it
What are you and Ali talking about? Have I missed something obvious? Don't get it.
Old 28 August 2005, 10:04 AM
RR
Scooby Regular

You scoob boys are touchy, you drive what you drive because you want to its your choice. As for affording a scoob i could go buy a wr1 next week or new sti PPP without much trouble but i choose not to. I would buy a classic prob a P1 and look at a 2.5L upgrade. When people give you guys a bit of stick there only pulling your leg i dont want you lot all going out and buying Seats as that would be pretty boring for all of us. As for visiting scoobynet theres some good info on here and i can search here and the P1woc for info that might help me along the way. Also i visted because theres nothing funnier than when a scooby owners gets left by a lesser car and the scooby owners starts to have a cry we can all have a laugh at him for buying what he thought was a fast car, which it was until the late 90's.
Old 28 August 2005, 10:35 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Subaru Impreza has had its day ....... we all know that, if we are brutally honest.

There are cars out there that do it better and cheaper - but, and this is the crucial point, they lack the soul of the Impreza. Those who own one know what I mean, the 'feeling' that you are in something special (the boys along the street STILL turn and shout to their mates .... "look, a Subaru!!")

It is like Elvis, was the best and first ....... lots follow - but NONE will ever come close to the Icon that is the Impreza!!

I might drive mine like a tart on a bad hair day, I may extract 38MPG, I may have the original brakes after 62k miles, I may complain about paying a massive £350 for Insurance ....................... but, it does everything I want of a car .... and, its FAR better than having a FORD, VAUXHALL, SEAT, VW, AUDI ............

say that you own a SUBARU down the pub and a certain tingle runs up your spine

Pete

Last edited by pslewis; 28 August 2005 at 10:37 AM.
Old 28 August 2005, 10:42 AM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

Put brilliantly Pete.
Old 28 August 2005, 10:51 AM
RR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
The Subaru Impreza has had its day ....... we all know that, if we are brutally honest.

I would say not, they just need to move forward, well past a wr1.

its FAR better than having a FORD, VAUXHALL, SEAT, VW, AUDI ............

For you, but for many not.

say that you own a SUBARU down the pub and a certain tingle runs up your spine

Your spine nobody else's.

Pete
This is my point whats suits you may not suit someone else. Subaru need to move forward. Due to the scoobs weight gain and every other car gaining power the scoob is lacking in straightline grunt in factory spec, the handling has always been there, subaru need to make the handling match the grunt, they need more power as stnd to move the game forward again and put themselves ahead of the rest.

Quick Reply: Scooby ownership, whats the point?