Sponsored by:

Airbags & Child Seats!

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2005, 12:57 PM
ice_white
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbags & Child Seats!

I was originally going to find out how to disable the passenger side airbag so that I could fit a rear-facing child seat.

However, it seems that it's not easy and would be risking the airbag going off while trying to disable it.

The other option I have though is putting my older daughter (in her forward-facing seat) in the front. Does anybody know if this is safe/legal?

I've been searching for information but can only find "do not put rear-facing child seats in passenger seats with airbags". No mention to forward facing seats.
Old 17 August 2005, 01:07 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

You should NEVER have a rear facing child seat in the front.
Old 17 August 2005, 01:09 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Sorry, didn't read all your thread properly (although my earlier post still reigns true!).

I thought there was a legal minimum age for a child to go in the front seat - isn't it 12, or seomthing like that?

Or by being told I was not allowed in the front, was my mum lying to me for all those years
Old 17 August 2005, 01:16 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

I could be wrong but I thought on the sun visor above the passanger seat it says something about not putting children under a certain age in the front , but as I say I may have been dreaming (I'll have to check tonight now )

Dave
Old 17 August 2005, 01:28 PM
ice_white
Scooby Regular

I checked this website that outlines the law, which says that children must be supported by a sufficient child restraint in the front. (which she would be)

It mentions that rear-facing child seats should never be fitted in the front where an airbag is used. (forward facing so ok on this too)

There is an age-limit on children in the front seat, which I think is around 12-13. (this contradicts the bit where they say rear-facing child seats are ok in the front as long as no airbag present)

To me it looks like children are allowed in the front if they have a proper restraint (child seat).

As far as the law is concerned, there doesn't seem to be anything that forbids it, but I just need to know if it's safe to do so.
Old 17 August 2005, 01:49 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

if you have a small child in front seat and airbag goes off the airbag is set for an adult therefore more likely to damage rather than minimise harm,if you have 2 or 3 kids put them in back
martin
Old 17 August 2005, 01:59 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Always best to put in the back. For example, some countries, like Australia, it is against the low to have a child seat in the front passenger seat at all. And while a dealer can turn off the passenger airbag, it's not like in our other car (Pug 307) where there is a simple key operated switch to do it. And, knowing the dealer and Subaru, you may well find some of your warranty or even your car insurance becomes invalid if you do something that the car was not deigned to do (ie Subaru did not fit a switch, for whatever reason, therefore they did not mean it to happen).
Old 17 August 2005, 04:51 PM
AC-scoobie
Scooby Regular

Forward facing child seat in the front is OK, (not recommended but OK). I would advise putting the baby seat in the back anyway as they are usually rubbish in comparison to the ones for 6months up. For my wifes Seat Ibiza (the seat wouldn't fit in the back) I removed the fuse for the Airbags so they couldn't go off. The airbag light was on all the time though, don't know if you can do that with the Scoob?
Old 17 August 2005, 08:54 PM
AVI-8
Scooby Regular

DON'T PUT YOUR CHILD IN THE FRONT SEAT IN A CAR WITH AN AIRBAG

The reason why is that because they are smaller than an adult in the event of an accident the airbag could go off and hit them in the face instead of the chest which could break their neck.

I saw a documentary a while back about car crashes and this very subject was mentioned.

Old 17 August 2005, 10:24 PM
ice_white
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your advice everybody. The problem I had was that we're planning on going on a long journey next week with our 2-year old and a newborn baby, so the missus wanted to be in the back with the baby.

I will have to try squeezing her into the middle seat or make regular pit stops!

Thanks again.

P.S. AC-scoobie - when I was trying find out how to disable the airbag someone mentioned removing the fuse, but apparently some cars have a backup.
Old 18 August 2005, 08:20 AM
ScoobyTom
Scooby Regular

There are a lot of myths about kids in the front seat but as I understand it the rule (not law) is that you MUST NEVER put a rear facing child seat in the front seat of a car equiped with an active passanger air bag. The law only says that under 12's must have suitable restraints, i.e. a booster or child seat - but that seems sensible no matter where the child sits.

I don't see the problem with children in rear facing seats sitting in front as long as the air bag is switched off and the seat fitted correctly.

As for older kids, I would leave the airbag on - it works very well in reducing injuries. However, it is vitally important to ensure that the seat is far enough away from the air bag so that the inflation of the air bag does not cause injury. It isn't too much work to slide the passanger seat back a bit when the kid is in it. The studies in which air bags were evaluated showed that they only caused injury when the person was sitting too close to them when they went off. Typically, this would be a small woman sitting very close to the steering wheel (therefore sterring wheel air bag) sustaining injury from the rapid expansion of the air bag. The studies also showed that their benefits in a collision greatly outweighed any potential problems that they might cause.

Tom
Old 18 August 2005, 08:44 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

what it comes down to if you have a crash are you prepared for consequences both physical and mental if your child is hurt by being in front seat-not trying to scare you just being realistic
martin
Old 18 August 2005, 09:24 AM
ScoobyTom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by p1doc
what it comes down to if you have a crash are you prepared for consequences both physical and mental if your child is hurt by being in front seat-not trying to scare you just being realistic
martin
On the whole, the safety cell in most 4 door cars is strongest around the driver and fornt seat passanger. However, the injuries sustained must be related to the seating position and the impact type i.e. a frontal impact is more likely to cause injury to the front seat occupants than to the rear whilst a NSR impact will probably not affect the OSF occupant as much as the NSR. If you could predict the type of crash that you are going to have then you could seat your child in the safest seat in the car...
Old 18 August 2005, 11:53 AM
Midget
Scooby Regular

Air bags systems used in Subaru are known as SRS Supplemental Restraint System and as the name suggests it is intended as a supplement to the seat belt system . If you disconnect the fuse you will disable all the air bags and the dash light will remain illuminated . The reason we were given when asked
about disconnecting the passenger air bag was that despite disconnection there is still a live explosive behind the dash and given certain parimeters in an accident there is still a possibility however slight of an unwanted detonation occuring as happened to a golf equipped with a disable switch on an Autobahn in Germany killing a child .