Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WARNING About Locking Valve Caps !

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2005, 08:06 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARNING About Locking Valve Caps !

You won't believe this - didnt have any valve caps on the car, so thought I'd get some locking ones, only about a fiver off ebay - chrome ones with the Subaru logo on - nice finishing touch I thought.

Some nobber decided to nick them last night, they managed to get 3 off fine, but obviously the fourth one was on a bit tighter and trying to get it off they've pulled the effing air valve out of the wheel, and they must have used pliers or something cos they've gouged out some of the paint around where the valve stem used to be.

And want to know the worst thing ? the woman across the road saw them as they had been back and forth about five times, and one of them was hanging around right outside her window. Then she noticed the second one messing around down by the front wheel of my car, thinking he was slashing the tyres she phone the police, and wrote down their descriptions etc...

Little kids ? teenage chavs ? dodgy pikeys ?

Two blokes, one about 50 and one about 40 ! according to the neighbour, both reasonably smartly dressed, so not older pikeys.

WTF is wrong with some people ? I assume they have taken them to stick on some B reg Cavalier cos they cant afford the rest of the Impreza - but to go to all that effort for £5 valve caps ?

The police reckon they might know who it is ( one of the blokes was 6' 8" so hes going to stand out a bit ) - so if they get caught they'll now get charged with theft AND criminal damage because of the damage to the tyre and wheel.

I just despair that some people are THAT SAD ! I'm not too bothered about the tyre ( even though it was nearly new ) as I could just have easily have punctured it myself while driving, so its just an expense, but the fact these master criminals wasted an hour of their lives to steal something basically worthless.

At least if someone managed to nick the whole car, I could give them some respect and think at least its worth them doing, but effing valve caps ? with the Subaru logo on, so they're going to look pretty stupid on any other car, and if one of the thieves does own a Subaru, you'd imagine they could afford the caps themselves.

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

p.s. anyone know if places like Kwik Fit can just fit a new valve without writing off the tyre fitting it ?
Old 16 August 2005, 08:39 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah the Valve isn't part of the tyre, shouldn't be a problem replacing it.

As for the cap, I know what you mean, I have the spinning ones now and there are clean spots on my dirty wheels were people have tried to remove them... maybe I need to clean it
Old 16 August 2005, 08:43 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Words fail me sometimes with the filth in this country , sounds like your local pikey scum , probably got them sitting on their 4 berth caravan by now or the kids quad bike .......unbelievable

Dave
Old 16 August 2005, 09:23 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

I had mine nicked too, didnt bother getting anymore, they knackered all the thred of the valve getting them off. must of been prepared with tools.
Old 16 August 2005, 11:25 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Ah well, not too bad in the end - rang Kwik Fit and they said they could change the valve no probs, they're only 5 minutes away so took the wheel round to them - they sorted it straight away and as they werent busy at the time, didnt charge me anything, just said 'come and see us next time you need some tyres'

Big up to KF for that.
Old 16 August 2005, 02:27 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry

Same thing happened to me. When I bought my wheels the came with shiny valve caps which someone nicked three of, think they'll have ended up on some young un's bmx. To replace them I bought some locking ones with discreet STI logo's on, since the sti didn't stand out as much as the 'stars' logo'd ones. Bought them at the NBO in june. Came home from work yesterday and some ******* **** has nicked three of them. Why????????? Do they have a scoob to put them on? Probably not. Thieving little pikeys, if I ever find out who it was I cut their thieving little pikey fingers off.
Old 16 August 2005, 03:02 PM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

A m8 of mine works for a haulage company and he managed to aquire 4 nice shiney plane valvecaps when his truck was in to get a puncture repaired as they put these on their trucks instead of the crappy black plastic covers for some reason, stuck them on the Scoob and didnt even last a week, so I think I will just stick with the crappy black one till I get some more free ones!!!!
Anyway im gla they took the valve cap and didnt take a key down the side of the car as whats been happening quite alot since the schools went on holiday!!!

Graeme
Old 16 August 2005, 03:19 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

I passed a kid on a bike near my work. Watched out the office window as he came in looking at the wheels. What did he find.........nice boggo standard black ones
Old 16 August 2005, 03:39 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

a mate came to see me today

parked his scooby in a carpark, flew up the carpark on his minimoto
came back down to find sum kids nicking his

thats all it took lol
i had a set nicked once, noticed, went home to put the black ones back on, noticed scuffs on the centre cap, took it off to find wheel nuts missing, they must have been planning on nicking the rims the next night (was staying 2 nights in a diffrent town)

this was not on the scooby tho
Old 16 August 2005, 07:59 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

On the same subject. After having some anodised blue ones nicked, I replaced them with the same £5 locking Subaru star one's.

These weren't nicked because when I tried to get them off myself to check & blow the tyres up, they'd oxidied to the valve. One came off easy, the others required me and my mate, a set of mole grips, a socket set and 10 minutes puffing and panting.. The valves looked the worse for wear, but no long term damage

Top tip.. Give them a dab with some grease first
Old 16 August 2005, 08:20 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Top tip. Just use normal caps. No one wants to nick them.
Old 16 August 2005, 08:25 PM
Pars
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
Top tip. Just use normal caps. No one wants to nick them.
The locking ones are shlte anyway - they corrode under everyday use and you can't get 'em off with the tool. I had to have some that I was given chopped away at the valve when I bought new front boots :up:
Old 16 August 2005, 08:36 PM
N3 DOO
Scooby Regular

Well the best way is dont have valves, think Halfrauds do them now, all you see on the wheel is a small screw cap, had them on one of my old cars.