Sponsored by:

Turtle wax bug & Tar remover

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2005, 05:31 PM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turtle wax bug & Tar remover

Well, usually use a bug remover on MY04 wrx from a motorbike outlet, they had run out so had to get a replacement.

So, Used Turtle wax bug & tar remover tonight.

Wash car, spray on, wipe off!! Any idiot can use it ??? Wrong!!

wash car (that was okay), spray on bug remover (that's easy), Wipe off (yeah right!!!)

after you spray this stuff on, you dont need much, the car looks like it has had a fire extinguisher go off on it!!

Wiped the product off as it states on the spray (well tried to),3 washes later (using turtle wax, then auto glym then flash!), a power wash, a polish, another wash and it STILL looks like it has had a fire extinguisher go off on it!!

So, phone turtle wax, thats the best idea ??? Wrong.

They asked if the product had been left on the car too long? Nope, like I want to spend ALL night washing the car!

All the experts have gone home for the evening!! So, leave the stuff on the car until the morning when someone can ring us back and assist, Okay... but isnt this the stuff that when I told you I had a problem with you asked if it had been left on the car too long????

so, anyhow, I'll have to go.... got a car to wash again!!

later ..............
Old 15 August 2005, 05:51 PM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

I tried some about 6 months ago, it is absolutely cr4p!
I had all the same problems as you, I find petrol is pretty good at shifting tar spots.
Old 15 August 2005, 06:13 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

As far as my experience goes (removing vinyl glue residue) I spray on, leave for a minute or three, wipe with a damp cloth, buff with a dry cloth.

Not had any problems with it personally.
Old 15 August 2005, 06:19 PM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by highlander68k
As far as my experience goes (removing vinyl glue residue) I spray on, leave for a minute or three, wipe with a damp cloth, buff with a dry cloth.

Not had any problems with it personally.
what colour is your car? Still cant get rid of it off plastics!!

think we're upto the 5th wash now
Old 15 August 2005, 06:24 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

The car is silver metallic.

Excessive water will not help! A damp rag and a dry buffing cloth is the only way
Old 15 August 2005, 06:30 PM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by highlander68k
The car is silver metallic.

Excessive water will not help! A damp rag and a dry buffing cloth is the only way
thanks for your help.
Old 15 August 2005, 08:55 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

clay bar best for bugs. them suckers just wipes right off..
Old 16 August 2005, 08:48 AM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

I use weak white spirit to remove the tar spots - wouldn't use it every week though as although it doesn't appear to be harming the paint I wouldn't want to risk doing it too often.

Anybody got any horror stories or warnings about using white spirit please let me know!!

Den
Old 16 August 2005, 09:14 AM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

Hi there, Thanks all for replying.

Update for you.... went to Halfords last night and spoke to the manager about what had happened, showed him the car.

He spoke to a friend of his who is a valeter, who recemmended that we use the meguires 3 step system which would bring back the shine to the car. The Turtle wax bug off spray leaves a thin layer of dull wax all over the car and on the rubbers. Even though on the spray itself it states that it is safe to use on plastics and rubbers!!

Man from Halfords ( who cannot be named, used to be a valeter himself) and told us not to use Turtle Wax products on the car.

Car was washed again with the meguires 3 step system last night but it was dark when had finished, car did look a little better. Car will be washed again this morning with Hot water (recommendation from the valeter person) and will take it from there.

Next time we need to remove bugs from the car will drive round and round until we find the bug off we usually use or I guess we could slow down so the bugs dont hit the car with so much force???? No, I didnt think so either.
Old 16 August 2005, 10:20 AM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Hi GIRL-in-a-SCOOB . .

I had a similar problem as yours, but i used Turtle -Wax wipes on my brand new delivered WRX . .LEt's not use that crap again.....Have you tried Merr . .Might do the trick . .

Good Luck
Old 16 August 2005, 10:36 AM
Andrew Timmins
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

If the bugs have dried onto the front of the car then try this:

Soak a towel in warm water and lay it over the front of the car for 5-10 minutes.

Take off the towel and wash the car normally. The warm wet towel should have softened the bugs enough so that they just wash off.

If you wax the car regularly then bugs tend not to stick anyway and should just wash off.

Andrew
Old 16 August 2005, 03:59 PM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

got some Turd wax, wash an wax stuff, total crap IMHO, was better off with the 90p bottle of detergent from the local corner shop, takes the flies off in seconds, I think anything thats designed to wash your car shoul actually wash it and not need half a dozen different things just to get it clean

Graeme
Old 16 August 2005, 08:08 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Exactly the same issue here... This stuff is like a thick foam. I made the mistake of liberally coating the front end, rather than a test patch, after a decent bash up the A38 at night (The front end would have had David Attenborough engrossed for days)

Upshot is this crap got into every nook & crevice and I'm having to resort to extra long cotton buds, some weeks later, to get to those hard to reach places that this white crap shines from...

Stay well away.. this is not a good product. I use Autoglym's Fast Glass as this seems to dissolve those odd suckers that refuse to die....
Old 17 August 2005, 06:40 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Andrew Timmins
If the bugs have dried onto the front of the car then try this:

Soak a towel in warm water and lay it over the front of the car for 5-10 minutes.

Take off the towel and wash the car normally. The warm wet towel should have softened the bugs enough so that they just wash off.

If you wax the car regularly then bugs tend not to stick anyway and should just wash off.

Andrew
I used to do this when my bike screen got covered in bugs, it works every time and it's kind to the paint.
It looks abit strange with the front of the car covered in hot steaming terry towels but it does work well indeed. Top Tip.
Old 17 August 2005, 09:17 AM
SPIKE LIKE MIKE
Scooby Regular

autoglym tar remover £4 halfords cant fault it,put a bit on a cloth wipe over tar leave 5 seconds and wipe off,absolutely brilliant and very easy,no residue etc etc,