Sponsored by:

Richard Burns at Rallyday

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2005, 08:16 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Richard Burns at Rallyday

Anyone else see him i was heartbroken to see him in the wheelchair as he is not the guy i remember blasting through the forests. All the best Richard.
Old 13 August 2005, 08:19 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatmanscooby
Anyone else see him i was heartbroken to see him in the wheelchair as he is not the guy i remember blasting through the forests. All the best Richard.
Sorry for my ignorance, rallying is not something i follow although obviously
i know the name.

What happened to him?

Rob
Old 13 August 2005, 08:20 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

still alive and living his life-never gave up and still into cars best of luck to him
martin
Old 13 August 2005, 08:22 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

I believe he had a brain tumour although i dont know all the facts. Hes a terrific guy and was sat out in the rain so people could see him. Respect to him i think the guys terrific.
Old 13 August 2005, 09:45 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

I wish him all the best for the future, would just love to see him back ina rally car some day!!
Old 13 August 2005, 10:23 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rasher
I wish him all the best for the future, would just love to see him back ina rally car some day!!
I couldn't put it any better if I tried.

http://www.richardburns.com/
Old 13 August 2005, 10:40 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

If you look him up on the BBC website there are two reports over the past year.

Last Autumn he was reported to be recovering...however in April he was reported to be undergoing surgery with additional 'factors'.

Wishing him all strength and light in his spirit.

Rannoch

Trending Topics

Old 14 August 2005, 12:35 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

I believe he had a brain tumour although i dont know all the facts. Hes a terrific guy and was sat out in the rain so people could see him. Respect to him i think the guys terrific.
I have just made a post about this on another thread but I know I he wouldn't want it this way but it cut me uo seeing him like that today, Full respect for hom attending I mean who would of they were ill in that way! but I really feel for the poor guy, I've made no secret of the fact that I'm a Burnsie fan but that was genuinely upsetting to see him that way earlier. I've often tought about what I# do if I couldn't drive for some reason and I couldn't do it because it means so much to me so what must he be going through

I wish him all the best from the bottom of my heart and hope he can drive a vehicle again some day let alone a rally car.

All the best Richard.
Old 14 August 2005, 12:46 AM
SCD Simon
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts

All the very best for the future Richard.
Old 14 August 2005, 08:55 AM
Dspeed
Scooby Regular

Three cheers and all the best for the future to a real legend.
Old 14 August 2005, 08:57 AM
R.B
Scooby Regular

Its very sad news and hes still fighting on just like he did in rallying.

Good to hear hes out and about aswell keep it up Richard.

R.B

Last edited by R.B; 14 August 2005 at 10:27 AM.
Old 14 August 2005, 09:19 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

"In A wheelchair" It breaks my heart to think of him like that
Get well very soon Richard we miss you.
Cheers
Colin
Old 14 August 2005, 09:31 AM
ChriSTi
Scooby Regular

It was nearly 2 years ago now, he was driving down the M4 in his own car (Porche GT3 )to take part in the GB rally when he started suffering from pain's in the head and collapsed at the wheel, luckily he had another driver with him I think it was Sabastian Leob who got hold of the steering wheel and gently steared the car to the hard shoulder, and that was the start of it.

My fondest memories of him,where as a Subaru driver a few of us where invited to a special 3 day event after the Acropolis rally in 2000, (I was living in Cyprus at the time) and we all go to "have a spin" on a proper rally stage. I'd been stood there for 4 hours when it got to be my turn and he pulled up and jumped out of the car and said he had a plane to catch so he wasn't doing any more drives, Well you van imagine I felt Sh#t, anyway one of the PR girls persuaded him to have one more drive as I was the only Brit in a bunch of Cypriots. So he got back in the car belted up and as the doors where shut he asked me my name, I said chris, he replied "Well Chris, I've got a plane to catch In 2 hours, So your in for the drive of your Funking life" and we set off, **** me he can drive, and he was talking to me as we where going roung the bends sideways as if It was a trip to the shops. Best day of my life.
Can't believe he's in a wheel chair, B*st*rd, well I hope to god he recovers. Gutted I didn't go as Castle coombe is only 20 mins away from me.
All the best Burnsey for a speedy recovery. Me and Richard at Acropolis rally.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...mPhotos183.jpg
Old 14 August 2005, 10:28 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Reports at the time said he was (IIRC) driving an MPV, and it was 1 of the ford drivers that he was. (Markko Martin I think).

Yes, sad to hear about this, but he is a fighter. I to grew up watching Richard and Colin.

Wish him all the best, and a speedy recovery.
Old 14 August 2005, 10:43 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Originally Posted by Simon C
Reports at the time said he was (IIRC) driving an MPV, and it was 1 of the ford drivers that he was. (Markko Martin I think).

Yes, sad to hear about this, but he is a fighter. I to grew up watching Richard and Colin.

Wish him all the best, and a speedy recovery.
No the the other guy got it right, he was driving his porsche.
Old 14 August 2005, 10:52 AM
ben1413
Scooby Regular

All the best to him and his family through what can only be described as a thoughroughly sh*t time. I hope he makes s full and quick recovery!

Ben
Old 14 August 2005, 11:56 AM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

he is genuinly a great bloke since his departure from the wrc it was a huge loss for it and it has been going down hill ever since i spoke to him on many acations and he allways gave him his time along with robert reid his co driver

but at least he is battling and i wish him all the best as luck should not come into it

thanks richard for all the exciting times i have seen him and hopefully again in the future
Old 14 August 2005, 12:13 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gave him a good wave as he went by at the head of the parade of his WRC cars. I suppose I've waved to a few people in my life, but this was one time I really meant it!
JohnD
Old 14 August 2005, 12:41 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Is their another website we could put messages on to wish him good luck.
Cheers
Colin
Old 14 August 2005, 12:55 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Out of absolute genuine interest, rather than morbid curiosity, how exactly did he look?

I have built two very different pictures in my mind where he is either almost completely disabled, or actually completely complis mentis but just a bit weak.

naturally I am hoping the latter.
Old 14 August 2005, 02:28 PM
steve05wrx
Scooby Regular

HI

I was fortunate enought to have a press pass for yesterday's event at Castle Coombe.
Below are a few photos of Richard Burns rally lineup, the procession and him in the X5 leading the procession.
Awesome day - shame about the weather!

Cheers!
Steve
Old 14 August 2005, 03:21 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

now that is nice weather
martin
Old 14 August 2005, 08:53 PM
RIGPIG
Scooby Regular

For me and I don’t mind saying this but seeing Richard in a wheelchair brought a tear to my eye. I have nothing but ultimate respect for the man, he would always stop and talk to his fans when he could, sign autographs and be an all round nice fella.
Every day is a battle for him now and I for one as well as many other wish Richard all the very best

Criss
Old 15 August 2005, 11:29 AM
KnobbySP1
Scooby Regular

Everything already said - best wishes to him and massive respect due - from Crash.Net:

2001 World Rally champion, Richards Burns made an 'emotional' appearance at the 2005 Rallyday Saturday.

The Englishman was visiting the Castle Combe circuit in Wiltshire, as he wanted to see his private collection of cars which were driven during the show by a host of rallying aces, including former rival - and Britain's other world champion, Colin McRae.

Speaking prior to taking Burns' championship winning 2001 Subaru Impreza WRC out for a spin, McRae admitted he was looking forward to having a go in it.

"I nearly won that championship that year so if I drive the car at least I can say I drove the car that won the championship!" said the Scot.

Burns last competed in the WRC with Peugeot, prior to being diagnosed with a brain tumour in November 2003. Since then he has been following a course of chemotherapy and radiotherapy, and was re-admitted to hospital back in April this year for surgery, which doctors described at the time as 'successful'.

Mark Higgins, who drove the 206 - which Burns competed in during his last season in the top flight, said that he is doing well.

"It has been quite emotional for us really to be driving Richard's cars - to drive the Peugeot 206 and have Richard here - it was very nice to be asked to do that for him," Higgins told Crash.net Radio.

"He has been a good friend of mine for a long time and you know he is fighting really hard through this illness and I don't think anyone would have fought as hard as he is. On a positive note it has been great - good for him and good to see all his cars and all the people down here today.

"He is doing very well considering the illness he has. Everyday is a battle and you know Richard was a fighter in rally car and he is fighting this very hard. I think we've all got to get behind him and just see what happens."
Old 15 August 2005, 12:54 PM
D6ale
Scooby Regular

All the best to one of the best. The WRC has not been the same since it lost its front line british competitors (Richard & Colin).

I hope to see you back in rallying one day, as said before your strong and you can beat this. Get well soon!
Old 15 August 2005, 01:26 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

A fitting time to remember how he was prepared to take time out of his busy schedule to chat to all of us on here....
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4788
Old 16 August 2005, 09:37 AM
RX631
Scooby Regular

There we were huddled under a groundsheet, drenched, kids frozen, watching the richard burns collection at quarry being hustled nicely, then realised it was Alistair and Colin driving and thought how poinient it would be to be seeing these cars being driven hard, and considering Richards condition, I had tried to find out before i went how he was getting on.

But then they announced he was being driven around with his collection behind him, Me and me mate Billy got out from our shelter started jumping up and down in the rain, cheering and whistling - it was the highlight to a brilliant day and just goes to show why he is "Richard the Lionheart"

All the best mate, our thoughts are with you
Old 16 August 2005, 12:30 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Richard is truelly Nice Chap, I only met him briefly once just close enough to say Hi,

The Press made big issue that Richard & Colin Mcrea hated each other, I think you'll find they are VERY good mates if Richard was there Colin wouldn't normally be far away

Good luck Richard,

Tony