Sponsored by:

Help which Impreza!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2005, 12:25 AM
Jdub
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Help which Impreza!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First off a big hello to every one on here, my name is John from Oxford, my last car was a Pulsar GTIR and I figured a Impreza was the next step up and I need a bit of help please.

I have a budget of about £14000 to buy a new motor, but am stuck on which to buy, either the new shape WRX or the bug eyed WRX STI, I like the looks of both but prefer the newer one but would like the extra power of the older one.

I will also in the process of buying one get a nice big back box and a blow off valve any ideas which ones, was thinking of an ninja back box and HKS BOV.

So any help to decide would be great ie the pros and cons of each as at the momment I am stuck and dont want to make a big mistake.

Cheers John W.
Old 08 August 2005, 01:36 AM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

What about something just a touch older like a P1 or STi Type-R perhaps mate?
Old 08 August 2005, 02:19 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Hi John

Let's get the "big mistake" out of the way first. Drop the BOV idea, unless you really want to reduce the cars performance and risk some mega expensive damage. They can run like a pig with aftermarket chav valves due to serious overfuelling issues. If you like the sound of a VTA DV, then simply remove the inner wing resonator and ram-air scoop and seal the airbox off from the engine bay. Takes less than an hour to do, serves the engine with a plentiful supply of cool air, makes the induction and dumping audible and costs nothing apart from the price of a decent panel filter (Green/K&N/JR Racing).

Of the 2 cars you mention you should weigh up the merits of each. An 03+ WRX is 220bhp standard, but for your budget you can easilly get one with PPP which will have nearer 265 and a really good Prodrive backbox. If you really must change any part of the exhaust, consider TSL's Firestorm or the Afterburner Vortex which should be around 2-300. If you really want to spice it up, get a full decat and decent remap to see IRO 300bhp for 1200ish. This is about the limit for a WRX unless you want to spend serious money, in which case you should have bought an STi. The internals and anciliary components (fuel pump, injectors turbo etc) can't cope with much more.
The WRX doesn't feel as hardcore or focused as the STi when driven hard due to the softer suspension package, slower steering, gearbox and drivetrain differences, but can still be driven extremely hard and fast. I have never yet been left for dead by an STi in mine, and have on occasion left some more powerful cars in my wake. My preference is to ensure the car is set up to cope perfectly with the available power in real world driving, and that the driver (me ) is also up to spec. Improvements made to the brakes and suspension can make more of a difference than power hikes, and professional driver tuition is the best mod you will ever consider.

The 02 STi's will obviously get you all the STi benefits. The big Brembo's, the extra and better diffs, better suspension, 6 speed box and stronger engine components capable of handling much more tuning potential. When I have driven STi's I have always found them much more adjustable and controlable in high speed cornering, but I find that the sudden power delivery and short gearing can make the car a bit of a handfull and generate imbalance in my prefered smooth (roadcraft) driving style, whereas the progressive power delivery and long 3rd and 4th gears of my WRX seem to suit me.

The usual advice I give to people in your shoes is to find somewhere where you can test drive both back to back and make your decision there, but I guarantee you'll go for an STi. May be worth bearing in mind that the new 06 shape will be arriving in the autumn and that may hit 2nd hand values, bringing 03 STi's within your reach.

HTH
Old 08 August 2005, 02:23 AM
princessyin
Scooby Regular

wait til the new sti9 comes out and hope prices drop dramatically
Old 08 August 2005, 02:34 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by princessyin
wait til the new sti9 comes out and hope prices drop dramatically
STi10

Although all numbering beyond the STi6 is unofficial, and based purely on the opinions of enthusiasts, the general consensus is that the bugeye 02 was STi7, 03 blobeye was STi8, 05 suspension revisions to blobeyes became the STi9 and the new 06 Seat shape will be the STi10.

Cue Mike Wood to give me a b0ll0cking
Old 08 August 2005, 08:08 PM
Jdub
Scooby Regular

Wink

Well I went and bought one today, 02 bug eyed STI from Dave Hendry cars, as soon as I drove the STI I loved it, felt a lot faster than the WRX, plus I fell in love with the blue interior, who cares if its a bit ugly!!

corradoboy, cheers for the advice, can you explain a bit more about the mods you suggested to make the VTA noise on the standard dump valve as you lost me a bit, gotta have the psssssst even if it is chavvy!!!

Thanks again John.
Old 08 August 2005, 08:09 PM
Jdub
Scooby Regular

Wink

Well I went and bought one today, 02 bug eye/blob eye? STI from Dave Hendry cars, as soon as I drove the STI I loved it, felt a lot faster than the WRX, plus I fell in love with the blue interior, who cares if its a bit ugly!!

corradoboy, cheers for the advice, can you explain a bit more about the mods you suggested to make the VTA noise on the standard dump valve as you lost me a bit, gotta have the psssssst even if it is chavvy!!!

Thanks again John.

Trending Topics

Old 08 August 2005, 08:40 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Bu99er, I was gonna offer you mine for £13.5k

For the airbox mod, if you're anywhere near Leeds I'll do it for you for £25. Otherwise I can PM you instructions.
Old 08 August 2005, 09:22 PM
ChriSTi
Scooby Regular

jdub, where abouts are you, I live in chippenham ???, I get my car serviced at david hendry cars, well i did b4 i sold it last week...
Old 09 August 2005, 09:39 AM
Jdub
Scooby Regular

I am at Oxford for the next 3 weeks mate.