Sponsored by:

It looks like my brief love affair is deffo over

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2005, 12:54 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It looks like my brief love affair is deffo over

As some will know, having owned my new shiny wrx300 for just 6 weeks, the missus is hectoring me into paying for a big wedding next year and has put her foot down over the car.

I was doing quite well arguing that I would lose a few grand if I sold it, and thought she had nearly come round over the weekend - that was until.

I got home yesterday and found two envelopes with West Yorkshire Police stamped on the outside. You know when you get that sinking feeling.......

One was for doing a red light, and the other was for speeding no more than 250 yards up the road. 6 points, up goes the insurance! Now before you castigate me for driving like a **** I was following my boss and had no idea where to go when he shot through an amber light, and I naturally followed. I recognise the error of my ways.

Anyway, to come back to the point, that means insurance is not possible next year, combined with wedding means that scooby HAS to go now, and company car is on the horizon.

I've asked for a test drive in the A3 S/Line TDI, but am toying with the idea of an Elise as it is dirt cheap on tax! Anyone had a newish Elise and any thoughts?

Or reasonable alternatives considered (and offers for my car )
Old 04 August 2005, 12:56 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

For a start I'd castrate your boss!!!

Old 04 August 2005, 01:03 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Someone at my GF's had an Elise as a company car. Loved it !
Old 04 August 2005, 01:10 PM
dmc1980
Scooby Regular

Dont do it!!! Im getting married next month and she said once, 'I think your spending to much money on that car'. She hasnt said it again since. Just reminded her that she wanted me to spend all that money on one day, and if she was going to get on like that she would be getting married in a registry office, in a dress a tenth of the price and having her reception in the pub!! oh and going to blackpool for her honey moon instead of australia. She hasnt mentioned it since!
Old 04 August 2005, 01:12 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

I feel for you man. as you know if it was a further 6 months down the road i'd be interested in having your car off you. a week ago id have said a woman is not excuse for giving up your car but after coming off the end of over a 3 year relationship this week id give up any car for my woman (my ex-woman).
you better make it a good wedding!
Old 04 August 2005, 01:14 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

get the father of the bride to pay! that's surely the way forwards.
Old 04 August 2005, 01:29 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adam M
get the father of the bride to pay! that's surely the way forwards.
The ******* wont cough up - he assumes I'm loaded cos I always have a nicer car than him!

Typical though, I reckon if I went and got an Elise she'd go and get up the duff just to **** me off. I reckon its a conspiracy.

Cant find much information about new Elise on tinterweb though, specs etc. Anyone any ideas?

Last edited by jbwrx300; 04 August 2005 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04 August 2005, 01:38 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by dmc1980
Dont do it!!! Im getting married next month and she said once, 'I think your spending to much money on that car'. She hasnt said it again since. Just reminded her that she wanted me to spend all that money on one day, and if she was going to get on like that she would be getting married in a registry office, in a dress a tenth of the price and having her reception in the pub!! oh and going to blackpool for her honey moon instead of australia. She hasnt mentioned it since!
Exactly: A scooby gives you years of fun and loyal service so is good value for money. It also does exactly what you want, won't argue with you and doesn't mind if you still find other cars attractive

A wife will demand a kings ransom and a few months of running around like a blue arsed fly for one day whereupon you'll see a lot of old ladies leave with your life savings -in the form of flowers, booze and food, tucked in handbags. After which time, she'll no longer adhere to your requests, be loyal subject to pampering and unqualified access to your bank account, will break down frequently and will file for divorce as soon as you so much as glance at another girl!!

Want my advice mate??

KEEP THE CAR!!!!

NS04

P.S. Enjoy your big day!
Old 04 August 2005, 01:42 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Exactly: A scooby gives you years of fun and loyal service so is good value for money. It also does exactly what you want, won't argue with you and doesn't mind if you still find other cars attractive

A wife will demand a kings ransom and a few months of running around like a blue arsed fly for one day whereupon you'll see a lot of old ladies leave with your life savings -in the form of flowers, booze and food, tucked in handbags. After which time, she'll no longer adhere to your requests, be loyal subject to pampering and unqualified access to your bank account, will break down frequently and will file for divorce as soon as you so much as glance at another girl!!

Want my advice mate??

KEEP THE CAR!!!!

NS04

P.S. Enjoy your big day!
I wholeheartedly agree with every point made by everyone and as I said was fighting my corner until I opened the post yesterday, but the points issue has finished it for me. I am simply not prepared to pay a couple of grand next year for the insurance.

If it was just a couple of speeding tickets, it wouldnt be too much of a problem, but because its going thru a light, insurers class this as dangerous driving and screw you for it.
Old 04 August 2005, 01:50 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by jbwrx300
I wholeheartedly agree with every point made by everyone and as I said was fighting my corner until I opened the post yesterday, but the points issue has finished it for me. I am simply not prepared to pay a couple of grand next year for the insurance.

If it was just a couple of speeding tickets, it wouldnt be too much of a problem, but because its going thru a light, insurers class this as dangerous driving and screw you for it.
Getting bent over for insurance hurts ( I had to start off with no, no claims bonus, so I know), but it will not hurt as much as when your new wife turns to you and says those three special words...

"No More BJs"

Then you'll wish you'd PX'd her for a cheaper model, which would more than offset your increased insurance premiums!!

Sorry, I'll get my coat!!

NS04

BTW No disrespect you you or your missus to be, I'm just teasing! I wish you all the best!
Old 04 August 2005, 01:54 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

You may as well keep the car, so you're going to pay a couple of grand for insurance next year, i bet you lose far more than that if you sell now.
Old 04 August 2005, 01:58 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

I would be ringing the insurance compnany up first before making any decision on getting rid of it as you are going to lose a load of cash on it.
Shame she know about the tickets as I would of personally hid them and not told her !

Richard
Old 04 August 2005, 01:59 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jbwrx300
The ******* wont cough up - he assumes I'm loaded cos I always have a nicer car than him!

Typical though, I reckon if I went and got an Elise she'd go and get up the duff just to **** me off. I reckon its a conspiracy.
and you feel this way before the wedding, whoa...good luck with the future bud
Old 04 August 2005, 02:00 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

<shakes head in disbelief>
I've got nothing to say except the car will only be the start of it. Too many have gone down the path of sacrificing something for the sake of a wedding.

My opinion - if you can't afford the wedding with what you've got, then don't have one.
Old 04 August 2005, 02:01 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Getting bent over for insurance hurts ( I had to start off with no, no claims bonus, so I know), but it will not hurt as much as when your new wife turns to you and says those three special words...

"No More BJs"

Then you'll wish you'd PX'd her for a cheaper model, which would more than offset your increased insurance premiums!!

Sorry, I'll get my coat!!

NS04

BTW No disrespect you you or your missus to be, I'm just teasing! I wish you all the best!
What you mean they carry on saying that after you get married - **** that for a game of soldiers thats not what she told me! lol

Just got a quote for an STI on the car scheme, quite reasonable apart from the £2700 tax. So that is me finished with scoobies for the time being I think.

I've narrowed it down now i think:

Elise 111S just to **** the misus off
A3 2.0TDI SLine cos i like them
A4 Avant 1.9TDI SLine cos i can get my golf clubs and a pram in if necessary (Thats forward planning for her next bombshell)
Old 04 August 2005, 02:43 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

TBH, I'd stick with the scoob. The Insurance companies take into account teh level of points in relation to the seriousness of the offence.

It depends on how much you're paying now. It may not be as bad as you think......

I won't even mention my opinions on your realationship - but something is seriously amiss..........

Dan
Old 04 August 2005, 02:51 PM
Scooby_Dee
Scooby Regular

Location: Stuck behind that damn tractor or caravan on a B road!

Do you want the big wedding too? If not tell her that she should get a second part time job. You could ask the guests to pay for their own meal - a lot of people do that now believe it or not as it's the biggest expense apart from the honeymoon. Also why does it have to be a big wedding? At the end of the day you get married because you love each other and being in that relationship is a compromise so if I were you I'd keep the car and find another way to pay for the wedding. I would never ever ask my husband to sell the car and I have as much fun with it as him.

This kind of reminds me of my mate who went out and bought a brand new bike. He came home with it and the misses hit the roof and gave him the choice "It's the bike or me" he packed his bags! She soon begged for him to come back
Old 04 August 2005, 03:22 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

You will almost certainly loose many thousands of pounds on the Scoob if you sell it so soon after buying it. Those 3 or 4 grand could be spent on a decent honeymoon.
Explain that to your fiancee and see if she changes her tune.
Old 04 August 2005, 03:26 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Scooby_Dee
Do you want the big wedding too? If not tell her that she should get a second part time job. You could ask the guests to pay for their own meal - a lot of people do that now believe it or not as it's the biggest expense apart from the honeymoon. Also why does it have to be a big wedding? At the end of the day you get married because you love each other and being in that relationship is a compromise so if I were you I'd keep the car and find another way to pay for the wedding. I would never ever ask my husband to sell the car and I have as much fun with it as him.

This kind of reminds me of my mate who went out and bought a brand new bike. He came home with it and the misses hit the roof and gave him the choice "It's the bike or me" he packed his bags! She soon begged for him to come back
Good on ya Scooby Dee!!

I had a GF that didn't appreciate Scooby, never got an ultimatum as such, but it's love me, love the car I'm afraid....she had to go! I'm guessing she probably misses the attention generated by the car more than me now!!

NS04
Old 04 August 2005, 04:08 PM
Ziffy
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Scooby_Dee

sounds like the sort of thing i said once, never had it back fire yet either
Old 04 August 2005, 04:18 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Points on your licence don't last forever m8.

You may save £400 on insurance driving a boring eurobox but loose £2k on the scoob. If you work out fun per pound it makes sense to keep the flat four

Also I really can't see why people spend £7k plus on a wedding either, we asked family and close friends to help out rather than give presents. This made it a wonderful day and cut the cost by a large margin.

dipster
Old 04 August 2005, 04:28 PM
Francesca.
Scooby Regular

Location: If there's a bright center to the universe, I'm in the place that is farthest from.

Good on ya Scooby Dee!!
ultimatum as such, but it's love me, love the car I'm afraid....she had to go! I'm guessing she probably misses the attention generated by the car more than me now!!

NS04
How can you NOT appreciate a scooby ?

There is also the point that the scooby is one of the safest cars on the road (ignoring the performance for just a second) they handle well, corner like they're on rails and the 4 wheel drive is an additional bonus - the perfect family car .

I'm between boyfriends right now (by choice) but I'm with Scooby Dee on this one.
Old 04 August 2005, 04:37 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

get married at a registry office, keep car Simple!!
Old 04 August 2005, 04:48 PM
mid_life_crisis
Scooby Regular

Me I'd sell the wife to finance the car insurance
Old 04 August 2005, 04:54 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Francesca.
How can you NOT appreciate a scooby ?
She was clearly mad!!

NS04
Old 04 August 2005, 06:28 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Have the opposite problem - think my wife would leave me now if I sold the car
Old 04 August 2005, 06:37 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe I suggested a white one in the first place Get it sprayed white and it can double as a wedding car. Think what you will save not having to hire a rolls royce On a more serious note, the amount you will have lost in depreciation, having only had it a few weeks, makes it a financial no no in my opinion.
Old 04 August 2005, 07:09 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff
Old 04 August 2005, 07:35 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff
At least you've got a legal "get out clause" rather than some of the alternatives...
Old 04 August 2005, 08:01 PM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by highlander68k
<shakes head in disbelief>
I've got nothing to say except the car will only be the start of it. Too many have gone down the path of sacrificing something for the sake of a wedding.

My opinion - if you can't afford the wedding with what you've got, then don't have one.
Second wife insisted on having a dog, then a 'big' dog, ended up with 3 dogs. Then, coz I quite liked the dogs, it was "Either those dogs go or I do"

"Close the door quietly on the way out so's not to disturb the dogs please" I said

As a result of then living on my own, with the dogs, I thought Sod it!!! and bought a Scoob, never looked back

If you need info on an Elise, try here:

http://www.seloc.org/

Good luck

Quick Reply: It looks like my brief love affair is deffo over