HELP WITH KNOCK LINK PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2005, 11:00 PM
mrjud
Scooby Regular

Location: somewhere having fun after mapped by jollygreenmonster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP WITH KNOCK LINK PLEASE

Hi all i have just today recieved my knock link and wanted to fit it straight away. Thought my bnest bet wasto post a thread on here asking if anyone can tell mewhere the best place would be to mount my sensor on my 94 wrx. any info would be grate please guys
many thanks graham
Old 03 August 2005, 11:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations on your recent purchase ......

According to most posts on here, you attach the sensor to the engine block somewhere and then turn the sensitivity down so that only green lights show (which renders it pointless) ........ you DO know it's just there to impress the teenagers, don't you??

OR you could adjust it to get a Red light now and again...... it makes you **** yourself and convinces you that you are driving a 'really special' car!!

Pete
Old 03 August 2005, 11:22 PM
mrjud
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

are you saying its pointless then or are you just wanting to make me out as being a 20 year old chav that only takes young kids and legal age girls out in my car to get them wet and take advantage. I understand that not all people think theer a good idea i just wanted to know where the best place to bolt it would be as i don't want to be melting my pride and joy whilst i have the wife and kids in the car rather than the horse power hunting girls and boys.
Originally Posted by pslewis
Congratulations on your recent purchase ......

According to most posts on here, you attach the sensor to the engine block somewhere and then turn the sensitivity down so that only green lights show (which renders it pointless) ........ you DO know it's just there to impress the teenagers, don't you??

OR you could adjust it to get a Red light now and again...... it makes you **** yourself and convinces you that you are driving a 'really special' car!!

Pete
Old 03 August 2005, 11:29 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Even Pete You forgot to mention its a cocklink
Old 03 August 2005, 11:30 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I'm messing with you!!

BUT, I have to admit .............. Chavs do love likkle lights on the dash, makes the kiddies wet themselves, like you say!!

And I think its utterly pointless if its adjusted to not get red lights up ....... most get a Laptop Geek with Det Cans to set it all up ................ money for old rope - but plenty get taken in .......

Pete
Old 03 August 2005, 11:32 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby-Doo
Even Pete You forgot to mention its a cocklink
I didn't want to disappoint him ....... he's just spent good money - last thing he wants to hear is that in the ScoobyNet Circles of Knowledge they are, indeed, known as CockLinks!!

Pete
Old 03 August 2005, 11:40 PM
mrjud
Scooby Regular

Wink

(I'm messing with you!! )

thought so seeen many of your replys before and you do seem to wind people up. i was told i should get one of these so i did now i just want it fitting.what do you think of the lamba links also i thought that if i got one of these too it would be the fairy on the top of the tree looking nice and bright. seriously what do you think you hear that many w*****s on here saying different things trying to **** people up with horror stories and then the others that own r5 turbos that think they no everything about other cars.and then the people that dream of owning cars .(i also have a m5 new one honest)_ just want normal peoples that have brains and sense to give an honest view
thanks again pete
graham
Old 04 August 2005, 12:02 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Plenty of people swear by them .............. I don't!!

These engines do NOT blow up unless you **** about with them - any engine will blow when putting out 400BHP and thrashed to within a mm of its life!!

Owners say that a CockLink has saved their engines from destroying themselves - which, of course, is utter bollox - as no-one can see into the future ...... so, what might have happened may also NOT have happened!!

Subaru supply a Knock Sensor on the block and its electronically connected to the ECU ...... imagine what happens, the Knock Sensor detects knock and within milliseconds retards the ignition.

What happens with a CockLink?? The Sensor detects a knock (could be anything at this stage, from a loose bracket to your mum washing the pans!), it sends a signal to the CockLink, it lights up a red light, you see red light, time?? about 2 seconds if you're lucky!! The time it takes you to react?? another 2 seconds?? ............................. if the engine was going to hole a piston, its done it by now!!

Like I said ................... utterly pointless!! But thats just my opinion - take it or leave it.

Now, they serve a purpose to make you look cool with your mates - but, generally, anyone over 20 years old just laugh at them!!

Like the gear change lights!! Ha Ha Ha - yes, I know!! a light to foooookin' tell you when to change gear at 5pm stuck at 40MPH on the M5!!!

There are some wallies on here

Pete
Old 04 August 2005, 12:10 AM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

These engines do NOT blow up unless you **** about with them - any engine will blow when putting out 400BHP and thrashed to within a mm of its life!!
Pete
So you reckon no unmodified engine has ever blown up?

Quite a bold statement Pete - that would make it the most reliable car ever! As good as they are I think that's doubtful.

Rob.
Old 04 August 2005, 12:20 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BedHog
So you reckon no unmodified engine has ever blown up?

Rob.
One or two fail ................. as will always happen ....

Whats wrong is some on here scaring the **** out of others indicating that these engines blow-up if you don't do this or do that - which is blatantly untrue!!

Pete
Old 04 August 2005, 12:24 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Plenty of people swear by them .............. I don't!!

Pete
That's because you don't need one driving a UK car, you senile old fool!
Old 04 August 2005, 12:25 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
That's because you don't need one driving a UK car, you senile old fool!
No-one needs one!!

Pete
Old 04 August 2005, 12:30 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Rather like saying no one 'needs' a car Pete. Drivers of cars originally intended to use higher octane fuel will benefit from having one; although its unsightly. I own one but I havent fitted it because it f*cking ugly, also; I drive my small-turbo'd sensible 'Wagon like an old fart, something Im sure you appreciate.....

Simon
Old 04 August 2005, 12:35 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Its all bollox Simon .......................

Its all a myth ...................

Its a normal car with a normal engine and it needs treating as such - what it does NOT need is to be modified much above 250BHP!!

Pete
Old 04 August 2005, 12:53 AM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

He drives a 1994 WRX which will be a Japanese sourced vehicle which means it would have an ECU suited to 100 ron fuel - the ignition map on this car is fairly aggressive so the possibilty of detonation is somewhat higher when combined with Optimax alone so the addition of a 'knocklink' is worthwhile.
you attach the sensor to the engine block somewhere and then turn the sensitivity down so that only green lights show (which renders it pointless)
Really? - the majority who have these fitted set the sensitivity to maximum so that if there is any DET the led's will illuminate (As DET is barely inaudible inside the car)
You are of course entitled to your own opinion but tbh you are talkng from you ar$e as per usual If you believe 'Its a Myth.....' then so be it but when/if you have an engine failure due to detonation the last laugh will be on you - but I doubt that you would post this on here anyway lol
Old 04 August 2005, 01:01 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

As an aside; in 1994 you couldnt get 100RON fuel in Japan, which is why I can just about get by in my TD04-equipped conservatively mapped JDM 'Wagon using Optimax. Its a damned sight easier to start it detonating than it would be a UK car though, which is why I should fit the 'Knocklink'.....

Simon
Old 04 August 2005, 12:45 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

And now back on topic, have a look here regarding fitting your KnockLink: http://stefanostadal.homedns.org/car_mods_gauges.htm (Thanks Ozzy, great site )

The instructions are for a MY99/00 (phase 2) car but the installation will be similar. I'm sure someone can advise as to which bolt to remove from the block to fit the sensor to, may even be the same bolt under the intercooler for a MY94.

If you're feeling really keen you can remove the LEDs from the ugly box, extend them out on some cable and mount them in the dash somewhere. I have mine in the plastic surround for the dials, above them so in my line of sight when driving.

As usual Lewis is spouting a load of drivel. For sure an Knocklink isn't needed on an unmodifed UK car, I have one to keep an eye on the notoriously weak MAF on the MY99/00 and ready for future mods, on a JDM I wouldn't feel happy without one fitted.
Old 04 August 2005, 01:29 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
I have mine in the plastic surround for the dials, above them so in my line of sight when driving.
I just bet that looks REALLY classy!! Very Chavvy!!

Pete
Old 04 August 2005, 02:00 PM
AC-scoobie
Scooby Regular

mrjud, it may be worth looking at getting your car mapped to UK fuel. There's load of info on Knocklink fitment, do a search and you'll be amazed what you find.

Pete's there to laugh at, don't take his 'advice' to seriously.
Old 04 August 2005, 02:04 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

A 1994 WRX cant be remapped.
Old 04 August 2005, 02:05 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

A pre97 car can be remapped quite easily by people like scoobyclinic, Pat etc. I've been remapping mine for years (via a daughter board) before moving to Link then Apexi.

Tony.
Old 04 August 2005, 02:09 PM
AC-scoobie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
They have a Z4 right? doesn't the scooby ECU fit these? Or if not there must be a daughter board or plug-in available?
Old 04 August 2005, 02:14 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AC-scoobie
They have a Z4 right? doesn't the scooby ECU fit these? Or if not there must be a daughter board or plug-in available?
Yep, scoobyecu will fit all pre97 cars. That's what iused on mine but i programmed the eproms rather than using the 'off the shelf' map.

Tony.
Old 04 August 2005, 02:21 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Graz - well done for being pointing mrjud in the right direction. People are so happy to waste their time bitching.

Do you have smoke alarms in your house Pete? Are people saved by smoke alarms or would many still get out without them?
Old 04 August 2005, 05:27 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by highlander68k
Graz - well done for being pointing mrjud in the right direction. People are so happy to waste their time bitching.

Do you have smoke alarms in your house Pete? Are people saved by smoke alarms or would many still get out without them?
I aim to please

Most of us have been around long enough to ignore Pete or just have a good laugh about the things he does. However it's just not fair that he comes on here and sticks his oar in when someone is asking a serious question. Okay it's up to you if you want to use cheapo semi-synth oil in your car, if you want to drive it around never exceeding 4k rpm, and make a set of brake pads last 60k miles.

Personally I enjoy my car, like to press on sometimes and also intend doing some trackdays. It's also important to me as it's my main form of transport and cost me a fair wack of my hard earned so I want to look after it. I therefore have no problems in the extra cost for full-synth oil and engine saving instrumentation. The main reason I fitted the Knocklink was with a view to future mods, it has however already paid for itself by showing a bit of det as the result of a split boost hose causing some overboost.

For that short run when it was overboosting boy was it quick , I need a downpipe and a re-map
Old 04 August 2005, 05:48 PM
mrjud
Scooby Regular

Wink

thanks dellboy graz and gc8 and anyone else for there help
Old 04 August 2005, 07:13 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Pete,

Stop leading people down the "PETE PATH OF RIGHTEOUSNOUS (SP?)". In an ideal world (utopia) what you state may contain some truth, and of course anything you say is in your opinion (which is fine), but please go easy on ramming it down peoples throats.

And before you ask.... yes I run a KnockLink.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 04 August 2005, 07:15 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Originally Posted by GC8
It can with a piggy back system..... or of course a replacement ECU.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 04 August 2005, 07:22 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster
Pete,

Stop leading people down the "PETE PATH OF RIGHTEOUSNOUS (SP?)". In an ideal world (utopia) what you state may contain some truth, and of course anything you say is in your opinion (which is fine), but please go easy on ramming it down peoples throats.

And before you ask.... yes I run a KnockLink.

Regards,
Shaun.
Is that an OFFICIAL warning or just because you have a CockLink and realise you wasted your money??

Like I always say ..... it's my opinion - and my EDUCATED ENGINEERING opinion is that a CockLink is utterly useless .............. you simply cannot react to a red light fast enough - and even I, with my pair of hearing aids, will hear and register a holed piston!!

So, in answer to your demand, no I will not stop speaking up for the 'normal' person, the 'normal' view on things, ScoobyNet NEEDS a voice that advocates extreme caution when listening to the scare stories pedalled out ....

So there

Pete
Old 04 August 2005, 08:24 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster
It can with a piggy back system..... or of course a replacement ECU.

Regards,
Shaun.
Come on Shaun, you know very well what I mean. ScoobyECUs are (virtually) impossible to find and ScoobyClinic are charging nearly as much for something similar (which isnt a re-map anyway) as Andy Forrest charges for an A'Pexi PowerFC.

Simon

Quick Reply: HELP WITH KNOCK LINK PLEASE