Sponsored by:

Origin B2 upgrade offer

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2005, 04:28 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Origin B2 upgrade offer

Origin are once again trying to get Blue i owners (like me) to upgrade to the B2 unit for £219 exchange. I'm considering it, but would like to know from B2 users (especially those who had the Bluei before) whether it's worth it and how well does the laser function perform (soon to become illegal?)
Answers on a copy of your speeding summons to: JohnD
Old 03 August 2005, 04:41 PM
DevilHimSelf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnD
Origin are once again trying to get Blue i owners (like me) to upgrade to the B2 unit for £219 exchange. I'm considering it, but would like to know from B2 users (especially those who had the Bluei before) whether it's worth it and how well does the laser function perform (soon to become illegal?)
Answers on a copy of your speeding summons to: JohnD

Err, yes this way.. straitjackets ready!
Old 03 August 2005, 04:57 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

I upgraded by Blue i to a B2 in April. I phoned up to update my subscription and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Exchange plus £170. So if you are gonna do it then give them a call
I find the B2 more convienient. As the cable connections are in the cradle & not the unit, I find I use it all the time where as before I would sometimes leave the Blue i in the glove box rather than fiddling about with it. You can update it over the internet as well now.
I like the fact that, unlike the Blue i, the B2 warns you when it has lost GPS lock. The voice warning is more detailed in that it tells you what the speed limit is for the camera zone athough it isn't as loud & clear. I guess the congestion charge zone warning can be useful occasionally, as is the schools (MILF) alert
The laser detector has gone off once when I was on the motorway going under a few bridges. Didn't see any vans and wasn't speeding but It took me a fair few seconds to work out what the alarm was anyway!
I am very happy with it.
Call Origin and get them to do a better deal.
Old 03 August 2005, 05:54 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

whens the b3 coming out?
Old 04 August 2005, 11:14 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys - would have liked a few more opinions as I'm still undecided. I sent an Email to them asking confirmation that my remaining download subscription would be honoured if I PX my existing unit but have not recieved a reply so far, might be an excuse to phone them?
JohnD
Old 04 August 2005, 11:32 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

B2 is a great bit of kit but I have now got to the stage of taking off my laser detector and disabling it in the menu. Total PITA. The only time in 2 years it has gone off is every time I drive through the tunnel into Heathrow and then it goes continually.... and will not stop. Never once has it gone off on the open road and never once has it inspired any confidence whatsoever. Buy the b2 for the database but not for the laser detector...
Old 04 August 2005, 01:17 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

mine only ever goes off there too!
Old 04 August 2005, 04:27 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Is there a laser beam in the tunnel - maybe for monitoring conditions in the tunnel?
It could be that you haven't been targeted on the road as the reason it has kept quiet for so long? - now there's lucky!
JohnD
Old 04 August 2005, 05:12 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys are lucky, my laser alert goes off all the time. Hve added the ferrite collars but has only improved it slightly. Will hard wire it and earth it to the chassis and see if that helps.
Old 05 August 2005, 07:28 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Laser detector is pointless, if you're hit by a scamera laser you're nicked before the alert goes off let alone giving you time to slow down. So disconnect it and as said earlier buy it for the features on it.

Not had the original Origin so can't comment but very happy with my B2 (until it stopped bleeping this week, now I realise just how much I miss it....)

I've also heard rumours of a B3.....
Old 05 August 2005, 08:49 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

I phoned them today as I wanted to confirm that the remaining download subscription would be honoured if I did the PX and was told no! The girl said she would check and get back to me (still waiting) As I only renewed in July that would be too much to lose. On that basis they can keep it!
JohnD
Old 06 August 2005, 07:08 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Playsatan
You guys are lucky, my laser alert goes off all the time. Hve added the ferrite collars but has only improved it slightly. Will hard wire it and earth it to the chassis and see if that helps.
send it back to origin.

you get two year warranty on a b2
Old 06 August 2005, 08:37 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

I upgraded from an Blue i to the B2 and though it is better i am fed up with it jumping out of the cradle and rebooting every time i go over a speed bump of hole in the road. also some days it will just not mate to the cradle so that it can achieve reliable sat lock and i end up lifting it out and putting it back numerous times during a 2 hour comute

When it does manage to maintain the physical connections it is a very good unit and i wouldnt want to be with out.
Old 06 August 2005, 09:16 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adrian F
I upgraded from an Blue i to the B2 and though it is better i am fed up with it jumping out of the cradle and rebooting every time i go over a speed bump of hole in the road. also some days it will just not mate to the cradle so that it can achieve reliable sat lock and i end up lifting it out and putting it back numerous times during a 2 hour comute

How old is it Adrian? I don't have this problem at all and do plenty of humping
I know that the earlier B2s had fewer magnets in them and if you contact Origin they will post you a few extra ones out to put in it.

HTH - Darren