Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is driving technically uninsured ?

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2005, 01:27 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who is driving technically uninsured ?

Looking at my policy last night I must declare any alterations from the manufactures standard. Looking at cars on the road today I would have thought a large proportion are technically uninsured if the underwriters got nasty. Have you declared all mods even down to neon washer jets, lip spoilers etc (and no I do not have neons) ?
Old 03 August 2005, 01:56 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby-Doo
Looking at my policy last night I must declare any alterations from the manufactures standard. Looking at cars on the road today I would have thought a large proportion are technically uninsured if the underwriters got nasty. Have you declared all mods even down to neon washer jets, lip spoilers etc (and no I do not have neons) ?
I would also think that most scooby owners are technically, or actually uninsured.

NEW AGE - amazes me on the insurance board how people who get a cheap quote for a car with PPP and just cant understand the insurer has completely misunderstood what PPP is, and insured your car as a "Prodrive Style" or in my case they tried to insure it as a UK300 which doesnt have PPP. This is the insurers fault, but as soon as you sign the proposal form, your backup of the taped conversation has gone!

CLASSIC - amazes me even more that kids are busting their ***** to buy a classic they can barely afford to run, then moaning that their insurance is £4grand or something otherwise ridiculous. This reached new ridiculous proportions when a chap reckoned he was insured Third party on his classic scoob because he kept the insurance policy on his old clio going!!!

On the original point of the post - mods, I have yet to see a classic without a single styling or performance mod, so I assume that the vast majority are technically uninsured.

I am truly of the opinion that of all the cars on the road, the Impreza is the one which I would truly dread crashing into me.
Old 03 August 2005, 02:10 PM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

As an aside - how do the insurance companies work when the models are JDM imports, and have no model report (ala later Type R's) - effectively they would not know what is standard!
A-Plan quoted me cheap enough with all mods declared, so I can't see the problem with declaring the mods tbh!

Although, I may not be using standard oil, or standard light bulbs!
Old 03 August 2005, 02:11 PM
Focusbird
Scooby Regular

Even if I was I certainly wouldn't admit on here cos I'm insured with Greenlight and they come on here.

I bought my car brand new as a standard model and my insurers know about absolutely everything I've done to it
Old 03 August 2005, 03:04 PM
Tall Paul
Scooby Regular

My car is completely standard. The only thing different is it has crystal clear indicator/side repeater/side light lenses. Other than that I have not engine mods, wheels or spoilers etc.

I think it may save you initially, but if you were to have an accident and it was found to be modded, then this would make you rinsurance invalid. Not only do you lose your pride and joy, but you also need to fork out for whoever you hit!

IMO it is not worth it!
Old 03 August 2005, 04:27 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

If you go to the extreme clear indicator lights are a modification from the manufactures standard and although no performance improvement, if the car was stolen and recovered would they have an excuss to refuse payment ?

Not trying to preach with the rights and wrongs but just interested on how narrow minded insurers are.
Old 03 August 2005, 04:27 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tall Paul
My car is completely standard. The only thing different is it has crystal clear indicator/side repeater/side light lenses. Other than that I have not engine mods, wheels or spoilers etc.

I think it may save you initially, but if you were to have an accident and it was found to be modded, then this would make you rinsurance invalid. Not only do you lose your pride and joy, but you also need to fork out for whoever you hit!

IMO it is not worth it!
You say your car is standard yet if your insurance comany REALLY wanted to be awkward they could probably get out of paying you based on non standard lighting..!

Mods do not have to be performance enhancing to effect premium..!
Old 03 August 2005, 04:28 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

DOHHHHH..!!
Old 03 August 2005, 05:01 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I've declared everything, even down to the carbon-look stuff round my ashtray
Old 03 August 2005, 05:04 PM
Kevadair
Scooby Regular

If u don't declare all mods to the car cosmetic and performance enhancements, insurance companies rarely refuse to whole claim (unless like the idiot with the clio).

They will however HAMMER you for mods if u claim....One friend of mine changed his alloys, had an accident and claimed a new bumper/lights and was stung with an extra £400 on top of the £250 excess!!
Old 03 August 2005, 05:29 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

It often depends on the amount of the claim. If you've had a minor incident, they probably won't investigate. If you've crashed into and totalled a brand new Enzo, they may spend a bit of time on an investigation.

I heard of a girl who had her claim refused because the alloy wheels she had on her Golf were not standard for that year, even though they were Golf alloys. She didn't even know what alloy wheels were. Insurance companies, like the courts, do not accept ignorance as an excuse.

There could be mods that you genuinely don't realise are on the car that could cost you a successful claim.
Old 03 August 2005, 05:36 PM
Ziffy
Scooby Newbie

Thats why my car is staying as close to standard as humanly possible, any mods i do will be declared though.
Old 03 August 2005, 05:40 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

All of mine are declared, including the TEk3 remap, it was cheap enough through A Plan, it just isn't worth not declaring them.

mind you, I've crashed two cars over the years and both times they never sent an inspector. Might have been different if they were written off!!!!!
Old 03 August 2005, 05:44 PM
monty baber
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby-Doo
How many bike riders declare their aftermarket can or DB screen? I doubt many do, I know I did'nt when I had mine

I suppose we should inform them if we decide to try a new tyre manufacturer?
Old 03 August 2005, 06:07 PM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

Just a thought ..............

What is the situation when you change tyres to a completely different Brand or a different type from the same tyre manufacturer. If you crashed could the insurers claim that the tyre were not the type installed/recommended from new and cite that as a contributing factor in the crash??

Also what about all the cars who have had their exhausts changed at their local Quick Fit etc with sytems that are not the same as fitted new??
Old 03 August 2005, 06:21 PM
monty baber
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coupe-Se
Just a thought ..............

What is the situation when you change tyres to a completely different Brand or a different type from the same tyre manufacturer. If you crashed could the insurers claim that the tyre were not the type installed/recommended from new and cite that as a contributing factor in the crash??

Also what about all the cars who have had their exhausts changed at their local Quick Fit etc with sytems that are not the same as fitted new??
Is there an echo in here? pmsl

I agree on the exhaust point, on my old XR3i (when I was younger) I needed a replacement cat and not wanting to pay the ford price I phoned top gear and they fitted a cat for half the price, a year later I found out it was a hi-flow cat and would've invalidated my policy technically

If I fitted a ninja for example and got no performance gain why should I declare it when everyone else is fitting kwik fit aftermarket exhausts and not declaring either? it is such a grey area and that is to their advantage
Old 03 August 2005, 06:25 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

Yes all mods declared, even down to gauges etc.

Don't want them to have a get out on a technicality should the worst come to the worst.

I would have though the kwik fit exhaust scenario is not such as issue as they would be technically equivalent replacement items of the same nominal specification. A free flowing exhaust though is not a technical equivalent to s standard exhaust so would be considered a modification.
Old 03 August 2005, 06:25 PM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by monty baber
Is there an echo in here? pmsl
That'll teach me for not reading all the posts properly!!! OOPS!!!
Old 03 August 2005, 06:35 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

Would have thought the tyre brand issue would also be the same as long as they are of an equivalent (or better?) specification that the original fitment.
Old 03 August 2005, 07:27 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jbwrx300
I would also think that most scooby owners are technically, or actually uninsured.

NEW AGE - amazes me on the insurance board how people who get a cheap quote for a car with PPP and just cant understand the insurer has completely misunderstood what PPP is, and insured your car as a "Prodrive Style" or in my case they tried to insure it as a UK300 which doesnt have PPP. This is the insurers fault, but as soon as you sign the proposal form, your backup of the taped conversation has gone!

CLASSIC - amazes me even more that kids are busting their ***** to buy a classic they can barely afford to run, then moaning that their insurance is £4grand or something otherwise ridiculous. This reached new ridiculous proportions when a chap reckoned he was insured Third party on his classic scoob because he kept the insurance policy on his old clio going!!!

On the original point of the post - mods, I have yet to see a classic without a single styling or performance mod, so I assume that the vast majority are technically uninsured.

I am truly of the opinion that of all the cars on the road, the Impreza is the one which I would truly dread crashing into me.

i can point you in the direction of plenty

sdont you ever look in at you local dealer.. there all standard there !!!

M
Old 03 August 2005, 07:31 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

when you make your policy declarations...

the following statement works wonders... when asked a question..

Q has it been modified.

A. Truthfully.. Not as far as i am aware....

you have made a correct factual statement, should they get arsey,

we replaced alloys with alloys,, the question from the ins co was.. are you replacing like with like .. yes...

then no probs..

M
Old 03 August 2005, 07:44 PM
C8 DHC 04WRX
Scooby Regular

this 'declaring everything' could get stupid! if every last detail must be listed then does that incude momo gear ****? mat sets? magic tree? loose change in ash tray? fly spat on windscreen?

where does it end?????????????????????
Old 03 August 2005, 07:54 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Basically if an insurance company want's out of a claim they will find a way. As pessamistic (sp?) as this sounds, they have you over a barrel..!
Old 03 August 2005, 09:16 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C8 DHC 04WRX
this 'declaring everything' could get stupid! if every last detail must be listed then does that incude momo gear ****? mat sets? magic tree? loose change in ash tray? fly spat on windscreen?

Gear ****, I'd say yes, everything else, probably not
Old 24 September 2006, 12:42 PM
kittle
Scooby Regular

norwich union only classed some things as mods! anything from a subaru oem dont care! so 18"p1 alloys,bigger spiler, etc..... not a prob
also exhaust back box, not a mod only is full system...
Old 24 September 2006, 12:47 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

I informed my insurance company, (Liverpool Victoria) when I did my exhaust mod, I informed them and they told me it was not a problem.
Cheers
Colin
Old 24 September 2006, 01:20 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

I declared remap, suspension mods etc to Aplan and the result was only a £90 pa increase in premium. ............. But then I'm quite old and tend not to run into other cars !
Old 24 September 2006, 10:21 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

when i took out a policy with a well known company that advertises on hear i declared the alloys and exhaust. when the policy arrived at my door the mods were not listed at all, so i contacted them immediately and was informed "dont worry about it, as these mods have not increased your premium". marvelous i thought, but if i had to make a claim, what proof have i that i informed the insurance company of these mods as its not written down anywhere.
Old 24 September 2006, 10:36 PM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

When I took a policy out with A-Plan the most important thing to them was what BHP increase the mods had made available. In my case I knew that the max I could expect was circa 335bhp so that is what I declared along with a written confirmation of the exact model, STi + PPP + TSL re-map + Group N. Other than that the car was standard egarding styling.

They seemed more concerned with me being able to catalogue mods, if a rolling road report was available even better.

Regards

GB
Old 24 September 2006, 11:07 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C8 DHC 04WRX

Its basically anything that changes the performance or looks of the car that needs declaring.

Tony

Quick Reply: Who is driving technically uninsured ?