Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Security again, probably.

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2000, 12:54 AM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be careful though - if you enter the code wrongly 3 times then you'll be locked out for half an hour!

The best buy is definately a disklock. It is very obvious and supposed to be one of the most difficult for a thief to remove. (It also just fits under the passenger seat). It has been suggested that a disklock alone will be enough to deter the casual thief.

I've considered a barrier deadlock, which appears to be the best xtra protection about. However I just accept that if some thief really wants my car then he'll get it. As long as I deter joyriders then I've got insurance (including GAP insurance) to cover my losses.
Old 30 August 2000, 12:59 AM
Toby C
Scooby Regular

Employ two bouncer's to watch your car.....or, I vote for the Barrier Deadlock.
Got it fitted to MY98, only took an hour to fit by Iain, top bloke, very helpful.

Toby
Old 30 August 2000, 07:27 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Talking

Barrier deadlock is good - but .....
Here's one I thought of the other day:
There is a facility on the standard alarm to make the immobiliser deactivate only by entering the code on the keypad. This was, if some tosser breaks into your house to steal the keys he still won't be able to take the car the easy way. Small hassle for you having to enter it yourself, but not too bad. I enter a pin in the cashmachine almost every day as it is!!! Taking the keys by breaking into the house is becoming more common these days, so a house alarm may be in order too.
I don't subscribe to hiding the keys in the house - this might just lead to whole house getting totalled as toe-rags look for the keys.
Loads of other advice is in the archives - try a search under disc lock security etc.
Cheers
Chuck
Old 30 August 2000, 12:45 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

This has probably been asked 97 million times anyway so an extra time won't hurt;
I take delivery of my new MY00 on Friday (no bug eyed MY01 Chrysler Neon 4x4 Turbo for me thank you) and am wondering about the possible security improvements I can make on the car. I'm thinking of fitting a Barrier Deadlock first of all. Any thoughts on this bit of kit? Also what's the standard alarm/immob like? Worth upgrading at all?
I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

Soon-to-be-scooby-driver.
Old 30 August 2000, 01:40 PM
healeyb
Scooby Regular

Smile

Old 30 August 2000, 02:08 PM
RVeiga
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Seem to have all the above and still go the car.

Rottie in the back!
Alarm on the House!
Spare Keys hidden!
Disklock ALWAYS put on!

There is always the spark plug to the petrol tank method - but remember to flick the switch before to drive it!

Seriously - Disklock is about the best you can get, highly visible and very difficult to get of.
Old 30 August 2000, 03:27 PM
brooks
Scooby Regular

Autoexpress (or it could have been Which) tested loads of physical deterents and defeated the Disklock in approx 1 min. I have never heard of Barrier Deadlock being beaten and I rate it very highly. I also have a Disklock.
Old 30 August 2000, 09:39 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Ok, a guy breaks into your house and steals your keys, he then finds he cant start it coz it needs a keypad code. So there might be equal probability that he will come back into the house and give you/your loved ones a bit of a hiding to extract the code or that he might scarper. Personally, as far as my loved one goes if someone breaks into my house for the keys to my car then i'll give em everything so they get lost and dont come back again....beware as this is how most organised crime works....there is a payback.....its the same reasoning as why bouncers get shot at clubs days after......its not worth the fight beyond a point.

Just my own personal feeling.

Sunil
Old 30 August 2000, 10:30 PM
adge
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fit a Clifford 600 with anti-hijack, so even if they get your keys they won't get very far. I also have a disklok as well. cant be too careful.
Old 31 August 2000, 05:33 AM
suba
Scooby Regular

er... how about snakes inside the car?
Old 31 August 2000, 07:44 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Agreed Sunil, I was talking about detering the casual thief, or for when you were not at home but your keys were - common sense mate
C.
Old 31 August 2000, 12:24 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Removable steering wheel is the route im going cant do barier deadlock as ive got remote start.

Simon
Old 02 September 2000, 07:59 AM
Tom Evans
Scooby Regular

Simon,

Dad got a barrier deadlock fitted when we got our Scoob. We were broken into and they robbed the keys. They got the car started, but didn't get anywhere as the car was reversed into the drive. The barrier deadlock definitely saved the car.

We now have a disklock (serious bit of kit), the house is alarmed and my mum's car is parked in front of the Scoob.
Old 03 September 2000, 01:01 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
First thing I did was fit a Barrier Deadlock. £220 fitted but super-safe and very easy to use. It's the ease of use which really appeals over a DiscLock which means I ALWAYS use it, even for just two minutes in the newsagents.

A Tracker is next on my list, and security thickness laminate for the windows. About £200 but it makes the glass almost impossible to smash, or so I'm told. Anyone got any experience?

I've also got an AutoTaser, the thing that zaps 'em with 50,000 volts or whatever. Truth is, I'm so scared of the thing I've never got around to fitting it!

Hoppy
Old 03 September 2000, 06:23 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Hoppy

This film lark... Will it work on frameless windows like the Impreza? Next time you're feeling brave, see how much your windows will flex when you lean on 'em. If the dealer says "it works well", ask for proof and let us all know

Cheers!
Old 04 September 2000, 07:57 AM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys - thanks for the thoughts; Tom, nice to hear a story of the Deadlock in action and working! I've got a Disklock to tide me over until I can get a Deadlock fitted. Local fitter wants nearly £270 to do it. Eek. Think I'll shop around on that!
Cheers
Old 04 September 2000, 09:20 AM
brooks
Scooby Regular

Simon,

I had my Deadlock fitted a few months ago and it was £230 ish. £270 seems very high.
Old 14 September 2000, 02:18 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Guys, sorry for the delay in responding. On hols in Portugal for the World Karting Champs. Fantastic racing, but back to the point.

Chiark,
having considered your comment about frameless windows I think shatter-proof glass would be a complete waste of time. I could probably break into the car via the driver's window with my bare hands, laminated glass or not. You've probably saved me a couple of hundred quid! I owe you one!

SimonH, £270 for a Security Deadlock sounds very high. I know they are trying to build up a network of dealers who can do it for £200. Give them a call on 0151 489 4889. You'll find them very keen to help.

Hoppy

Old 16 September 2000, 09:57 PM
Imago
Scooby Regular

I have often though about wiring a couple of alarm sirens inside the car, these being triggered along with the siren under the bonnet.

Most people seem to ignore an alarm when it goes off but I think you could make it so loud inside the car that any tea-leaf would not be able to bear it for long enough to do any damage.

Does anybody know if this is available?
Old 17 September 2000, 10:49 AM
SimonM
Scooby Regular

When I first bought my previous car it had the alarm mounted behind the glovebox ... and it was unbearably loud inside the car... couldn't here it from the outside though

I should think you could probably run multiple sirens from one system, so you could have one (or even two) installed in the car.

SimonM