Sponsored by:

Test drive in STI

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2005, 07:24 PM
182 Sport
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drive in STI

Hi guys this is my first ever post on here. I currently own a clio 172 I bought from new over a year ago.

I have always been a fan of subarus but never quite what to expect to drive one.

My mate has just bought an impreza STI on a 04 plate with the prodrive kit 305bhp. After having ago the other night, I was speechless.The car is amazing. I have got to get my hands on one.

Now I have been looking for used examples and seen that my favourite scoob ends production in 1999.normal wrx imports are apparently 276bhp and wrx sti imports are just more or less the same power but different seats etc?

I would like to know how much difference there would be driving and 1999 sti and a 2004 sti and speed etc?
Old 27 July 2005, 07:32 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

The earlier shape cars are lighter but less refined. The STis are much more involving and feel quicker despite the same max power figure.
Old 27 July 2005, 07:37 PM
ChriSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 182 Sport
Hi guys this is my first ever post on here. I currently own a clio 172 I bought from new over a year ago.

I have always been a fan of subarus but never quite what to expect to drive one.

My mate has just bought an impreza STI on a 04 plate with the prodrive kit 305bhp. After having ago the other night, I was speechless.The car is amazing. I have got to get my hands on one.

Now I have been looking for used examples and seen that my favourite scoob ends production in 1999.normal wrx imports are apparently 276bhp and wrx sti imports are just more or less the same power but different seats etc?

I would like to know how much difference there would be driving and 1999 sti and a 2004 sti and speed etc?
My 99's for sale, pm if you want spec, or look on "For sale general" "V6 Classic Blue" by ChriSTi
Old 28 July 2005, 08:13 AM
mpr
Scooby Regular

Get ready for a huge leap in running costs if you do get a scoob.... I went from a 172 to a WR1 and I still can't quite believe just how much more everything seems to cost. Get ready for 20mpg at best (as opposed to the 35 you're probably getting and on 95 ron no doubt).

The difference is indeed huge to compensate tho' ;-)

i had a blast in my old clio the other day.... setting off felt promising as there is no lag of course, but once it got to 4k I was wondering where the power was. Then the brakes felt a bit poor, and then as I chucked it into a roundabout, I got a quick reminder about the comedy oversteer that front drive hot hatches make you put up with. Obviously the comparison is not a fair one, but it was nice to know where the extra 15 grand goes!
Old 28 July 2005, 12:49 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by mpr
Get ready for a huge leap in running costs if you do get a scoob.... I went from a 172 to a WR1 and I still can't quite believe just how much more everything seems to cost. Get ready for 20mpg at best (as opposed to the 35 you're probably getting and on 95 ron no doubt).

Indeed, the insurance hurts, the fuel bills hurt, the servicing and parts hurt, the desire to mod hurts.....

BUT, somehow you forgive and forget when you're behind the wheel of them.

NS04

Oh, and do bare in mind a classic shape Sti will be an import and will cost even more to run cause of the Octane booster and SUL you'll need to run it safely. Insurance also hurts even more for them and if you're under 30 most places will tell you to go away.....though maybe not as politely! :-)

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 28 July 2005 at 12:52 PM.
Old 28 July 2005, 01:32 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mpr

i had a blast in my old clio the other day.... setting off felt promising as there is no lag of course, but once it got to 4k I was wondering where the power was. Then the brakes felt a bit poor, and then as I chucked it into a roundabout, I got a quick reminder about the comedy oversteer that front drive hot hatches make you put up with. Obviously the comparison is not a fair one, but it was nice to know where the extra 15 grand goes!
what is your clio m8, a 1.2 expression

I have a 182 with cup packs as well as a MY03 STi and the clio is a great little car. over 5k revs & it flys, roundabouts (I live in MK) it loves & I enjoy driving it as much as the STi. Took it to the ring earlier this year & it performed exceptionally well.
Old 28 July 2005, 03:48 PM
Sonic_Danny
Scooby Regular

Go for it mate you wont regret!

172/182 are piles of ****e compared with Scoobs, forget about the extra bills and get on with it

Trending Topics

Old 28 July 2005, 04:29 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sonic_Danny
Go for it mate you wont regret!

172/182 are piles of ****e compared with Scoobs, forget about the extra bills and get on with it
SD - Have you ever driven / owned a 172 /182? I think what mpr has said is very fair

Having owned a 172 for just over a year before getting my Scoob I certainly wouldn't call it a "pile of ****e". I thought it was a very capable car for the money that it cost
Old 28 July 2005, 04:44 PM
Sonic_Danny
Scooby Regular

Yep i owned one of the first 172's for 3 years and the Mrs has a 182 which i currently use as i recently sold my P1!

T4 - Try getting back in one after owning a Scoob and you will know what i mean
Old 28 July 2005, 04:50 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Sonic_Danny
T4 - Try getting back in one after owning a Scoob and you will know what i mean
Fair do's. I just felt that a "pile of ****e" was too strong - perhaps something like "a Frencha manufactured piece of tin foil on 4 wheels with a good enginein it" would be better? - as for me getting back in another 172, that would be classed as going baclwards, I bought the Scoob, I like my Scoob and am not getting back in a Clio

Last edited by T4molie; 28 July 2005 at 04:52 PM.
Old 28 July 2005, 04:54 PM
Sonic_Danny
Scooby Regular

Good lad

Should never have sold my Scoob and now fully intend on getting another

Originally Posted by T4molie
Fair do's. I just felt that a "pile of ****e" was too strong - perhaps something like "a Frencha manufactured piece of tin foil on 4 wheels with a good enginein it" would be better? - as for me getting back in another 172, that would be classed as going baclwards, I bought the Scoob, I like my Scoob and am not getting back in a Clio
Old 28 July 2005, 08:24 PM
mpr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simo
what is your clio m8, a 1.2 expression

I have a 182 with cup packs as well as a MY03 STi and the clio is a great little car. over 5k revs & it flys, roundabouts (I live in MK) it loves & I enjoy driving it as much as the STi. Took it to the ring earlier this year & it performed exceptionally well.
Never said it wasn't a good car. I actually think they're great - for the money - that was the whole point of the post really - To get something seriously better (read quicker on a good back road) you've got to spend serious amounts more money. I'd say for a semi-practical car, they've got to be the cheapest way to go that fast.

I take it your STI is standard? With PPP it should make the clio feel like a comedy run-about, my WR1 certainly does As for roundabouts.... at the end of the day its front-wheel drive.... on any roundabout of a decent size (ie most of MK) a scoob (with DCCD at least) should feel better as once you've got it turned in you can give it plenty without it unduly washing out. On small roundabouts, the clio is perhaps easier to chuck in as its lighter. IMHO