Sponsored by:

Tell me the best price you have seen

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2005, 10:24 AM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell me the best price you have seen

Looking for a new 05 WRX 5 Door estate, obviously the Prodrive kit and SL packs would be nice, but not essential if the price is right. Just thought I'd post this here since we all pop in to our dealers from time to time. I'd also consider a European import. I know that the retail is £20800 with the free PPP kit, how much would you expect a dealer to drop on this for a cash deal? Thanks for any sensible input.
Craig
Old 27 July 2005, 11:16 AM
Kevadair
Scooby Regular

Difficult to say...depends

If there is no trade in car you can haggle up to 10% (was told this by an insurance assessor when a car of mine was written off.....the max I've ever had was £1k on a new car, and never got anywhere near 10%

IMHO its all down to the dealer themselves...if they need and want the sale they will do it.

If u take out extra warranty, PPI of its on credit, GAP insurance its all add ons and profit for the car dealer and they become more receptive to the 'haggle'

My advice go to a dealer with ure price in mind (thats reasonable) and after showing much interest hit them with ' a bit pricey whats ure best deal?'.........if they reduce the price this is when you get them down further as the first price is within there budget. So see what you believe is a reasonable reduction and give it ' ok better, however do it for £xxx and uve got a deal rite now'.

Be up for a bit of banter and dont go in all poker faced....the worst that can happen is they get no sale and you get no car.
Old 27 July 2005, 01:06 PM
Rioja
Scooby Regular

£18,700
http://www.researchgarage.co.uk/wrx.shtml

might drop even more as the release of the new model nears
Old 27 July 2005, 01:17 PM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Rioja. Kevadair, thanks for the the reply, but as my original post states, I'm looking at a cash deal, my finance, insurances, etc are all taken care of already. Quite impressed at £18700 for UK spec WRX with the PPP kit, should be only £500 more for a 5 door by my reckoning
Old 27 July 2005, 03:21 PM
abc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by craigdmcd
Thanks for that Rioja. Kevadair, thanks for the the reply, but as my original post states, I'm looking at a cash deal, my finance, insurances, etc are all taken care of already. Quite impressed at £18700 for UK spec WRX with the PPP kit, should be only £500 more for a 5 door by my reckoning
It's always a bit hard to tell exactly what the dealer price is when you add in part-exchange, but the stated vehicle price on our new wagon+PPP was £18,900 (no finance, insurance, etc.). We reckoned this was a good deal and when you consider bangs per buck, pretty unbeatable unless you go down the Euro-import route. We compared prices with other dealers and did a bit of haggling to reach this price. Also, I think the dealer was keen to have us on his customer list since we come from an area where a dealer has just gone out of business.
Old 27 July 2005, 03:36 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by craigdmcd
I'm looking at a cash deal
FFS, dont tell them that. There seems to be a feeling amongst some people that cash results in a better deal when buying a car. Now it might do if you are buying from Honest Ron's Pitch at the side of the A58 where he can get some cars sold without going through the books - hence the discount. At a main dealer, forget it.

Much better to go for the finance option and drive the cost down as the dealer gets massive commissions which allow them to discount the car further. Get the order form and invoice signed and on delivery day give them a bankers draft instead.

They will see their **** and try their best to tell you the deal is off - but nowhere on the paperwork does it say that the agreed price is subject to finance being taken. Trading standards would take them to the cleaners.

You could well save yourelf a grand or more over and above what you would pay for cash. Especially if you give them the impression that you may do the finance with your bank instead (eg, what is in it for m if I take your finance)

Personally if I had bought a WRX rather than WRX300 I would not have paid more than £18500 all in, which with PPP is a better deal imo than any import on the market at the moment.