Windscreens....

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2005, 09:45 AM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windscreens....

Mine has just got a crack appear, looks like where a stone has hit it hard

Anyone any idea what its going to cost to replace?

Tah
Old 27 July 2005, 09:50 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Does you car insurance have window screen cover, mines does witha £50 excess.
Worth checking as I bet they are not cheap, but make sure its the proper Subaru one.

Richard
Old 27 July 2005, 10:37 AM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by olliecampbell
Mine has just got a crack appear, looks like where a stone has hit it hard

Anyone any idea what its going to cost to replace?

Tah
RAC quoted us £850 for a pattern screen.
If you can live with it, get it checked out first to make sure it aint gonna shatter, then live with it cos once you've had it replaced it is never the same again. Had a year old merc done once by a reputable company and for ever and a day after it leaked every time it rained.
Old 27 July 2005, 01:55 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get it done with your insurance if I were you.

I have had a couple done (on other cars) in the past. Pay the £50 excess and the insurance picks up the rest....doesn't effect your no-claims either.
Old 29 July 2005, 08:55 AM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Really, that was what i was worried about. Im with Tesco so ill go and check their site now!
Old 29 July 2005, 09:33 AM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

I got mine done via Tescos. They use Auto-Windscreens, and it is £50 excess and it doesnt effect your no claims. Make sure you stay with the guys that do it, and make sure they dont scratch the paint as they take the screen out, cos if they do, it'll rust like mad within no time. Some are good at their jobs, some are s**t

Good Luck

Old 29 July 2005, 12:37 PM
Syms PWRC
Scooby Newbie

Re your windscreen......

Before retiring and pastures new i owned one of the larger South East windscreen replacement companies....

Here are a few tips:

As already said, check your insurance company. Normally a W/sc claim does not affect NCB but of course most carry a small excess.

Make sure that the replacing company (and there are several national insurance nominated companies) actually fit a screen from a reputable manufacturer. one of the majors now manufacture their own screens and the quality can vary enormously from the original part.

Also make sure they carry any trims/clips for your particular car before you book it in. I have been out of the trade but from memory the Scooby needs side clips and often a top trim.

If you can, let them do it in their workshop, leave it overnight, thus ensuring (hopefully) they do not need to rush it and that the bonding agent has time to cure properly. Even the so called instant cure bonds are not what they claim.

Unlike a previous reply, you can drive your car with a cracked screen for years.......it will not shatter. Laminated windscreens have been OE since the 1980's. Laminated windscreens do not shatter.......Door glasses do, they are made from toughened glass as are most HRW's.

If the crack is severe, say from a bird strike then of course you must replace immediately or the naughty man in blue may have a word or two.

H

Trending Topics

Old 29 July 2005, 07:18 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Excellent thanks for the tips, its only small-ish 2-4 inches right at the bottom of the screen (along the drivers windscreen wiper).

Think ill leave her until i replace the rear (rear wiper conversion) and get the two done at once

Thanks again