Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Second hand RB5's - why so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2005, 03:10 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As an RB5 owner I'd obviously like to keep the prices high. We had a worrying discussion over on the RB5 owners club forum about prices being really cheap recently.

If there's nothing special about them, why does the Mrs want one and not just another Turbo. If the differences are small enough to make people want them i.e. create a demand the price will go up.

It also helps that there's not many around, not many low milers and in very good condition. Mine was valued at £9K last year for a standard RB5. So, the WR version would be £500-£1000 more. Take another years depreciation and it's hard to see where £12K comes from.

Guess it depends on condition and what demand there is for them. If they are selling at that price I'll be much happier
Old 25 July 2005, 03:11 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Oh, and I set the cat amongst the pigeons by asking the same question about P1's
Old 25 July 2005, 03:25 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Power is the same, actually the only real changes were the uprated suspension, wheels, tyres, and the shell which was an STi 4 door shell, plus the cosmetics like the interior, big spoiler on the WR version, but engine power is the same, 215bhp for the normal and 245bhp for the WR version.

Tony
Old 25 July 2005, 03:33 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

As Tony says the RB5 has same power as normal MY99 Turbo. WR version is just like any car with a PPP fitted.

There was no suspension or brake changes. Same shocks/springs as other MY99 cars. My car had the Prodrive geometry dialed in from factory, but that's it. Some cars do have Prodrive suspension, but that's simply because the owner paid for it - just like any other owner that could buy it when they ordered the car.

Some of the stuff on the RB5 was carried over to the MY00 model - colour coding and map light for example.

It has air-con too All the exact details are on the owners club info pages.
Old 25 July 2005, 03:37 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

tell 'er they're steel blue, not grey
Old 25 July 2005, 04:56 PM
finnie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mate isn't a lady but mine (RB5) is the only scooby he actually likes. I think its the colour, it looks a lot more subtle than normal ones Aggressive but not garish. I also think the light covers make the front look a lot better. All of the above is true including engine and brake stuff. Do note that it is true the shell is jap spec and so the RB5 does not have folding rear seats like the other uk models. Only 444 were made in either normal or WR spec (215bhp or 237). Extra's - short shift gear shift, air-con, different seat and door cloth material, grey dash insert, colour coded exterior (standard on normal ones post MY00), 17" speedline alloys ( anthracite) and car number badge under ashtray. PPP or WR model had extra power, prodrive intercooler piping, prodrive exhaust (this included removing one of the cats for more power) and extra Prodrive larger rear spoiler. Many have been uprated. Always worth the extra money cause everyone looks more and other scooby owners always have an even more intense look over!!!!!