Sponsored by:

how good?

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2005, 07:16 PM
tailwhip2000
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how good?

how good a car is the "classic" impreza turbo?? my old man has just bought himself an X reg 2000 turbo, so the base model in the turbo market, but seems like a lovely car!!

how does it handle compared to others like the wrx or the sti? how much slower is it etc?

cheers guys
dan
Old 21 July 2005, 08:22 PM
scoobywhite74
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by tailwhip2000
how good a car is the "classic" impreza turbo?? my old man has just bought himself an X reg 2000 turbo, so the base model in the turbo market, but seems like a lovely car!!

how does it handle compared to others like the wrx or the sti? how much slower is it etc?

cheers guys
dan
Hi mate, the 2000 turbo is a very good car
with around 215bhp and 214lb ft torque.
0-60 around 5.6sec.
I,ve got a uk car and I had 145mph with no modes on
never owned a wrx or sti.
but I,ve put some mods on and now I push out
274+bhp and 276lb ft torque about the same as a p1
good fun.........
Old 21 July 2005, 10:03 PM
tailwhip2000
Scooby Newbie

cool, cheers mate!!

ive seen on parkers that they quote the 2000 turbo awd does 0-60 in 6.1 secs, but Evo mag quotes it at 5.4!!

im hoping that somehow in september wen i turn 21 i can get insured on it as well, but doubt it tho!
Old 22 July 2005, 09:57 AM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobywhite74
Hi mate, the 2000 turbo is a very good car
with around 215bhp and 214lb ft torque.
0-60 around 5.6sec.
I,ve got a uk car and I had 145mph with no modes on
never owned a wrx or sti.
but I,ve put some mods on and now I push out
274+bhp and 276lb ft torque about the same as a p1
good fun.........
What you added to get this mate?
Just got a 2000 turbo, wanting 300bhp eventually, but it'll be a while yet me thinks...
First aim is 250 bhp
Old 22 July 2005, 01:01 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by tailwhip2000
cool, cheers mate!!

ive seen on parkers that they quote the 2000 turbo awd does 0-60 in 6.1 secs, but Evo mag quotes it at 5.4!!

im hoping that somehow in september wen i turn 21 i can get insured on it as well, but doubt it tho!
I've got a MY99 Turbo 2000 and it's easily the best "everyday" performance car I've driven. Subaru's performance claims were -frankly- a big porky, I suspect to keep the insurance group at 17! Every magazine that has performance benchmarked this car has produced 0-60 runs in the mid fives. The more real world 30-70 increment is dispatched in the same time.

Unlike many of the hot hatch brigade, the Scooby can deploy its power easily owning to the excellent permanent 4WD system. A properly set up car with decent rubber grips and goes like you wouldn't believe. It's natural cornering attitude is one of understeer with a neat transition back to neutral if you're progressive with it. HOWEVER, contrary to what certain magazines would have you believe, it cannot defy the laws of physics and the Scooby does not suffer fools gladly, as many younger -and not so younger owners- have found out to their cost!! 4WD cars often won't let go till high speeds are attained or quite extreme provocation is applied. But, when they do let go........

Recently, the oppostition has moved on and the Scooby no longer enjoys the significant performance advantage it once did over -for example- some hot hatches etc.. But it was doing this all performance lark 10 years ago!! Unfortunately, the car has become accessible to some people who really shouldn't own it/can't afford to run it. As a result, its imagine is taking a beating in some quarters and there are a lot ot tatty example out there! Hardly the car's fault, though: simply a victim of its own richly deserved success.

As an all rounder in the real world it doesn't have many peers. Don't listen to the detractors, this car is still the dog's dangly bits!

If you do manage to get insured on your dad's (unlikely for sensible money I'm afriad) take my advice: Take it VERY easy. You could loose your licence -or worse- in one of these just like that!! You have to exercise restraint when driving them and not let the power and ability put you in harms way!

NS04
Old 22 July 2005, 01:30 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Impreza is the best, most reliable (if its kept standard!), performance car money can buy.

Treat it well and it will reward with many years of trouble-free running ..... be a **** and expect it to bite back!

Yes, its now in the hands of the NovaBoys and Chavs .... but thats only the Saloons!! - the Wagons are STILL the choice for the Grown-Ups!!

Pete
Old 22 July 2005, 02:32 PM
AC-scoobie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
The Impreza is the best, most reliable (if its kept standard!), performance car money can buy.

Treat it well and it will reward with many years of trouble-free running ..... be a **** and expect it to bite back!

Yes, its now in the hands of the NovaBoys and Chavs .... but thats only the Saloons!! - the Wagons are STILL the choice for the Grown-Ups!!

Pete
Wagons look so nice too (from the front!)

Trending Topics

Old 23 July 2005, 05:53 PM
scoobywhite74
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by scooby_matt
What you added to get this mate?
Just got a 2000 turbo, wanting 300bhp eventually, but it'll be a while yet me thinks...
First aim is 250 bhp
Hi mate, I,ve done a bit to my scooby her goes

k,n panel filter, full cat free exhaust system,
baileys piston dump valve.
sti intercooler upgrade,
tek2 remap running 17psi of boost,
light weight pulley,
magnecor spark plug cables,
But on my last run i had air leek was only running
14psi but had 274bhp and 276lb/ft torque.
just got air leek sorted will have to have rolling road
run in a weeks time. Good power without changing
turbo.
Hope that helps you out.......
Old 23 July 2005, 06:16 PM
Tall Paul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis

Pete
I have a 00 DGM wagon! Nice looking car, and gets less attention from plod! Goes like stink! I LIKE IT!!