Sponsored by:

Bug Remover

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2005, 05:24 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bug Remover

Can anyone recommend a good bug remover liquid ideally for the washer bottle but a spray might do. Normal glass cleaner sprays don't seem much good.

Also anything similar to spray on bodywork to help clean the awful marks

Thanks
Old 18 July 2005, 05:35 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

i tried the meguiars bug and tar remover, with some success but not especially impressed. this weekend i tried the quik clay and although i ran out of time and didn't get to finish the front half of the car, it's made a massive difference. cleaned all the windows with it too. give it a try and then wax afterwards - there have been so many auto glym/meguiars/swissol/turtle wax etc "discussions" on here since i joined, i kept an eye on them all and decided to try the meguiars. it's made all of the metal flakes in the paintwork stand out and given every panel a much deeper shine

halfords sell quik clay, but i bought it off ebay and there are loads of other places on the web selling it
Old 18 July 2005, 05:36 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

btw, the meguiars bug and tar removed doesn't gon in the water bottle - it's used in the same way as a polish - wax on, wax off etc
Old 18 July 2005, 08:01 PM
robertdon777
Scooby Regular

Nothing really on the market that you can put in the washer bottle that will remove them damn bugs with any decent effect.
Even the liquid formulas that claim to remove them easily still require a bit of elbow grease.

The best way i,ve found by far is warm soapy water and a bug shifter sponge from Halfords or similar. Its just a sponge with a net around it - sounds simple but works much better than anything else, use on bodywork and glass.

If you need to use it at the road side try the sponge with the glass cleaner for the windscreen.

Last edited by robertdon777; 18 July 2005 at 08:03 PM.
Old 18 July 2005, 08:20 PM
wrxshane
Scooby Regular

Hi they i have been i valeter for 5 years now into car cosmetics for 6 years and the only thing that worked for me was tfr3 (trafic film remover 3) spray it on diluted (i use it neat) then leave for 5 or ten minutes use a jet spray ,any left on ,a bit of t-cut will remove then a quick polish after (autoglym) spray pledge onto ya take off rag to stop the dust ,,. hope this helps
Old 18 July 2005, 08:22 PM
wrxshane
Scooby Regular

dont put it in ya washer bottle (forgot to say )
Old 18 July 2005, 08:35 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Wet wipes or similar, top on kids a**e's and Scooby bonnets, cheap as ****!!!!
Old 18 July 2005, 10:35 PM
R 14NS R
Scooby Regular

i bought the maguiers clay stuff last week, it takes a while but the results are really really good, maybe more so because my type r is white, the only problems are it does take a while, and with a white car the stone chips are emphasised and you see more dinks as you are looking more closely
Old 18 July 2005, 10:43 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

I find elbow grease the best method.

I only tend to clean the windscreen at home or at a service station during the summer, where I can cover the screen with water, and then use paper towel to wipe off the little b*ggers.
Only takes a few mins, and if done every few days, is miles better than trying to use the car's wipers - which cannot exhert enough force on the screen to lift the bugs off (and usually get stuck in the blades as well).
Also do the headlights at the same time.
Old 18 July 2005, 10:51 PM
Scoobedoo
Scooby Regular

dead easy, use the technique that I use on my helmet - get a large cloth, soak in cold water then lay it on the area of your car, leaving to soak for a few minutes. Come back and wipe away those insects away!!!
Old 18 July 2005, 11:48 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I use swarfega TFR (traffic film remover) like the car wash people- it melts them clean off.

I think it probably takes all the laquer and polish, paint etc off as well, but that's the beauty of contract hire
Old 18 July 2005, 11:57 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

Having had my car recently cleaned by a Swissol Valeter, and even though it's only cleaned back (no wax on it yet). Bugs just fell off it at the weekend when I washed it. Took very little effort at all, I was really suprised. I expected a real elbow grease fight to shift the furry coating off the front of the car.

As for glass, Autoglym car glass polish shifts all the dead things of the window and headlights real easy with only small amounts off effort.
Old 18 July 2005, 11:58 PM
steve54wrx
Scooby Newbie

Totally agree with Blue Dragoon and the wet wipes, shifts oil out the carpet when i couldn't be a**ed to take me work boots off and was dying for a pi**.
Old 19 July 2005, 08:36 AM
LiamWR1(2)
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by steve54wrx
Totally agree with Blue Dragoon and the wet wipes, shifts oil out the carpet when i couldn't be a**ed to take me work boots off and was dying for a pi**.
Mr Muscle kitchen de-greaser.... as it is a H/Duty de-greaser & bugs are just grease it shifts them in seconds... just spray on, leave for a couple of minutes then wipe off... sorted!

and no it wont removed paint or damage the bodywork!

Regs, Liam.
Old 19 July 2005, 10:27 AM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Smile

Now I wonder if mixing some of this in the washer bottle might work?

Originally Posted by LiamWR1(2)
Mr Muscle kitchen de-greaser.... as it is a H/Duty de-greaser & bugs are just grease it shifts them in seconds... just spray on, leave for a couple of minutes then wipe off... sorted!

and no it wont removed paint or damage the bodywork!

Regs, Liam.
Old 19 July 2005, 11:20 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Another thumbs up for the quick clay idea , did mine at the weekend and the glass too ,give the screen a going over with rain-x after and thigs wipe off a lot easier

Dave