Sponsored by:

STI PPP Performance

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2005, 11:24 AM
DPBEECHWOOD
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI PPP Performance

Just had the PPP fitted to the car and it feels completely different. Car only done 800 miles but im not sure if there is anything wrong as there is no kick at all now when you hit 3.5k.
I know the engine is tight and will not release true potential for a few K yet but but im not sure if the car has been correctly modified.
The power delivery is constant from the start but to tell you the truth im not convinced its putting anything like 301 bhp out..
I asked my dealer for the PPP certificate and they told me the service dept had lost it... They are sending me a new one, still 3 weeks waiting and received nothing. I have a Prodrive back box fitted but I can see no other difference.
I am wondering with all this free PPP packs being fitted if the dealers are not paying the same attention as if they had £ 2k thrust at them.

What kind of difference is seen between a loosened scoob STI engine ( 3,000 miles ) to a new one?
I had an EVO 6.5 TM a few years ago from new and that certainly felt better from the start, are Subaru boxer engines radically different from new to run in?
Im not a turnip and do not expect a new engine to perform like a run in one and I have not put it much over 4,500, however I am questioning if all is right under the bonnet.
Paul
Old 11 July 2005, 11:43 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both my son and I had our 03 STis PPP'd within a week of each other and he was totally unimpressed. I drove the car and it was way down on what it should have been. We fitted a boost gauge and it was struggling to pull 0.8bar! It turned out to be a blocked restrictor in the actuator piping. Get the boost level checked and check out the restrictor. You should see around 1.3bar on test.

JohnD
Old 11 July 2005, 01:59 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DPBEECHWOOD
Just had the PPP fitted to the car and it feels completely different. Car only done 800 miles but im not sure if there is anything wrong as there is no kick at all now when you hit 3.5k.
I know the engine is tight and will not release true potential for a few K yet but but im not sure if the car has been correctly modified.
The power delivery is constant from the start but to tell you the truth im not convinced its putting anything like 301 bhp out..
I asked my dealer for the PPP certificate and they told me the service dept had lost it... They are sending me a new one, still 3 weeks waiting and received nothing. I have a Prodrive back box fitted but I can see no other difference.
I am wondering with all this free PPP packs being fitted if the dealers are not paying the same attention as if they had £ 2k thrust at them.

What kind of difference is seen between a loosened scoob STI engine ( 3,000 miles ) to a new one?
I had an EVO 6.5 TM a few years ago from new and that certainly felt better from the start, are Subaru boxer engines radically different from new to run in?
Im not a turnip and do not expect a new engine to perform like a run in one and I have not put it much over 4,500, however I am questioning if all is right under the bonnet.
Paul
800 miles is no where near enough to start evaluating a cars performance mate. Most scoobies don't start to indicate their true potential untill 5k miles, often more. Keep it under 4k and at varying loads as the manual says untill it's past the 1k run in milage and had its oil changed. Then, incrementally increase the rev limit as it start to gets some miles under its wheels and it'll start to show you what it can do. Do pester the dealer for the fitment certificate and by all means get them to do a diagnostic if you're not convinced. I'm sure this is just a case of lack of miles on a new engine though!

NS04