Sponsored by:

more bhp question

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2005, 02:21 PM
my cossy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more bhp question

im thinking of putting the ppp kit or the tsl 333 kit on my sti8 apart from the warranty question wot would you guys do how far can i go until the engine starts to get unreliable etc,etc also was there any group buys on any of these kits
cheers steve
Old 24 June 2005, 02:32 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

To be honest, I had the PPP put on my 05 STi last week. I'd heard all the reports of Blistering performance, but, I don't get it. I know my engine is still new, 1185 miles, but I did think it would be faster than what it is. There is a difference over standard, but not as much as I hoped/read about. I hope it gets faster as the miles pile on, otherwise I'll remain disapointed.
If your not bothered about warranty, try the TSL333. I have no idea about the reliability issues though.
Old 24 June 2005, 02:54 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by stilover
To be honest, I had the PPP put on my 05 STi last week. I'd heard all the reports of Blistering performance, but, I don't get it. I know my engine is still new, 1185 miles, but I did think it would be faster than what it is. There is a difference over standard, but not as much as I hoped/read about. I hope it gets faster as the miles pile on, otherwise I'll remain disapointed.
If your not bothered about warranty, try the TSL333. I have no idea about the reliability issues though.
No where near enough miles on it to judge its perfermance mate. You're only 185 over the 1k run in period until which time you should not have been racing the engine anyway!

Give it to at least 5k before expecting things to have started to loosen up nicely.

NS04
Old 24 June 2005, 03:02 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Agree with NS04, these engines get better with age. Also, the PPP seems to vary from car to car. I have 2 mates with 03 STi PPP's and one of them absolutely flies, whereas the other was shockingly bad. The bad one ended up getting some of the bits needed over the PPP to get the TSL333, and when the PPP map was analysed it was "amongst the worst" that TSL's mapper (you know who I mean) had seen, with severe overfueling at 3k leading to it going off cam at just over 5k. After the TSL it pulled like a train right through from 2.7k to almost 7k.
If warranty is important, as always I'd recommend taking a chance on the PPP and hopefully you'll get one that's average to v.good, which to be fair most seem to be. If you get a bad one If the car is nearing the end of warranty (or you don't care) then TSL every time
Old 24 June 2005, 04:25 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also agree with the above, not enough miles on the car for it to be loose, you need around 10k miles in reality, thus the reason that Prodrive never use to fit the PPP to cars with under this mileage (except the rb5 Sport) as you dont feel the benefit of it.

Tony
Old 24 June 2005, 04:32 PM
my cossy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
mine has 5k on the clock, im thinking about the 333 conversion has anyone got this on theyre car yet ,wot else is there on the market that anyone would recommend also lets keep it to the topic lads
cheers
Old 24 June 2005, 04:49 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, if it feels slow and disappointing, miles will not change your opinion, a car does not feel faster the longer you live with it. Live with it, sell it or mod it. I reckon the power variation day to day is more than the effect of a bit more running in. New age cars do hide their performance and composure better than older Subarus or Cossies etc.

If you want something a bit scary, bigger engine, bigger turbo and all the trimmings to go with it. If the car is wieldy enough to really scrabble for grip despite AWD it takes a bit longer to get bored of.

Trending Topics

Old 24 June 2005, 04:49 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

You can have a custom remap, probably more power, depends on your car.

Tony
Old 24 June 2005, 04:50 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by john banks
If the car is wieldy enough to really scrabble for grip despite AWD it takes a bit longer to get bored of.
Wet roads and Bridgestone RE070's

Tony
Old 24 June 2005, 11:20 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

This is why I would never bother withh ppp (unless I suppose its free of course). Its a general replacement ecu box. A custom mapper will tune your car to its own personal and individual requirements on the open or rolling road. Some ppp stis don't make it anywhere near the advertised 300 bhp.
Old 24 June 2005, 11:28 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by mgcvk
This is why I would never bother withh ppp (unless I suppose its free of course). Its a general replacement ecu box. A custom mapper will tune your car to its own personal and individual requirements on the open or rolling road. Some ppp stis don't make it anywhere near the advertised 300 bhp.
Some make over 300bhp.
Old 24 June 2005, 11:36 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by davedipster
Some make over 300bhp.
Yep, but its a bit of a lottery and you wouldn't be happy if yours didn't!
Old 25 June 2005, 08:11 AM
my cossy
Scooby Regular

so is everyone saying forget the ppp and go tsl 333 or is there summit else on the market
Old 25 June 2005, 08:29 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by my cossy
im thinking of putting the ppp kit or the tsl 333 kit on my sti8 apart from the warranty question wot would you guys do how far can i go until the engine starts to get unreliable etc,etc also was there any group buys on any of these kits
cheers steve

Big fat tick for TSL from me. Had the 333 map last year and the car is much better for it. It puts out 329bhp with approx 320ib/ft torque. Much better than a ppp and very reliable too.

Gary
Old 25 June 2005, 10:19 AM
my cossy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
Big fat tick for TSL from me. Had the 333 map last year and the car is much better for it. It puts out 329bhp with approx 320ib/ft torque. Much better than a ppp and very reliable too.

Gary
gutman how much was it if you dont mind me asking did they do any deals etc,etc,
Old 25 June 2005, 12:31 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

EVO Magazine did an article comparing all the tuning packages available. Worth looking it up.

Bob
Old 25 June 2005, 03:00 PM
my cossy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
EVO Magazine did an article comparing all the tuning packages available. Worth looking it up.

Bob
got any links bob