Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe going from STi 03 to classic UK car!

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2005, 11:59 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Maybe going from STi 03 to classic UK car!

I may have to sell my beloved STi 03 soon to help fund a property, and would be grateful for some comments and opinions from people who have owned classic's then progressed to either bugeye or 03/04 Scoobs. I like a car that handles well, feels nice to drive, has good acceleration, refinement, good on motorways as well as A roads, etc.

I have never driven a classic, i've had an 03 WRX PPP, then an Evo 7 FQ 300 and now a standard STi 03. Would I be happy with a classic, are the 01 onwards Scoobs significantly better than the classics? Or are they both very able and capable cars? Do the classics have LSD's and steer round corners fairly quickly?

The car I would consider would be something like a year 2000 classic,(W or X) UK car, fairly standard with under 30,000 miles, possibly with PPP, or else I would add this if it's a good package and not as expensive as the PPP for newer cars! Basically I want a similar buzz from a classic that I get from my 03 sti. Is that possible? Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 23 June 2005, 09:25 AM
scarey
Scooby Regular

I went from an my00 uk classic totally standard to a uk my03sti with ppp.

Love both cars, but until I had the suspension tweaked by powerstation I preferred the handling of the classic as it felt more like a go-kart than the new age which rolled a bit too much in corners to give me the confidence to go as fast.

However.... the rush from the loud pedal in the new age will be missed if you go back to a std classic.

just my personal opinion
Old 23 June 2005, 09:42 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GREGGYG
I may have to sell my beloved STi 03 soon to help fund a property, and would be grateful for some comments and opinions from people who have owned classic's then progressed to either bugeye or 03/04 Scoobs. I like a car that handles well, feels nice to drive, has good acceleration, refinement, good on motorways as well as A roads, etc.

I have never driven a classic, i've had an 03 WRX PPP, then an Evo 7 FQ 300 and now a standard STi 03. Would I be happy with a classic, are the 01 onwards Scoobs significantly better than the classics? Or are they both very able and capable cars? Do the classics have LSD's and steer round corners fairly quickly?

The car I would consider would be something like a year 2000 classic,(W or X) UK car, fairly standard with under 30,000 miles, possibly with PPP, or else I would add this if it's a good package and not as expensive as the PPP for newer cars! Basically I want a similar buzz from a classic that I get from my 03 sti. Is that possible? Thanks in advance for your help!
I'm not sure if you'll get that "buzz" in a standard classic compared to you're startard 03STi.
The different in build quality and comfort between the two cars is worlds apart by the way.

Shaun
Old 23 June 2005, 09:46 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

What about a jap spec classic?

One like this perhaps

Steve
Old 23 June 2005, 10:48 AM
donutman
Scooby Regular

i ran a modded my99 classic wagon and now have a jdm my04 sti. The classic was a bit more raw and basic. The sti does not seem as quick even though it is. I do miss my old wagon
Old 23 June 2005, 11:35 AM
richee
Scooby Regular

good luck with finding one under 30 k miles. there was one for sale on here last i seen for a bit
Old 23 June 2005, 11:55 AM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I looked at going the other way recently, (currently run MY00 Classic, pretty std apart from WRSport BB, 26k miles), I drove a 54 Sti (no ppp), and whilst the build quality was much better the drive was no where near as exciting, as mentioned above the classic's drive like a go cart, the Sti was much more refined (whilst I'm sure it was as quick - just didn't feel like it), I then drove a 05 Sti ppp with suspension tweeks as well(and dccd), that was a completely different car, very quick, handled like the classic (just felt a bit bigger), brakes miles better than a classic. But in the end I couldn't justify the extra money to go for the new Sti with the revised model just around the corner, plus I love my classic and know I'd miss it.
Not sure if that helps any,

Ian

Trending Topics

Old 23 June 2005, 12:09 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Classics Rule
Old 23 June 2005, 01:10 PM
warr555
Scooby Regular

I had two classics (MY97 then MY99), then went to a MY03 STI PPP, and now I am back in a MY00 classic and perfectly happy with it.

Personally I still prefer the looks of the classic, the less in-your-face ride quality, the grippier narrow seats and the more understated spoiler that does not wobble about in the rear view mirror!

I found I only enjoyed the STI when really caning it, (when because it is such a capable car you find yourself doing ridiculous speeds without even noticing) whereas I am happy to potter about in the classic when mood or traffic suits.

Less can be more (or at least cheaper)!
Old 23 June 2005, 02:28 PM
HotRod
Scooby Regular

I've done 30,000 from new in my W reg and its still a big grin to drive. I've tried new Scoobs and they're good, but just can't see the point in changing when the Classic does everything I want. Cornering is superb, especially if slightly lowered.
If you need the cash and can still afford a Classic it's a no-brainer cos you'll definitely still enjoy your driving.

Having said that selling an '03 Sti and buying a Classic + PPP doesn't sound like it will free up much wonga? You buying a shed?
Old 23 June 2005, 02:35 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by GREGGYG
I want a similar buzz from a classic that I get from my 03 sti. Is that possible? Thanks in advance for your help!
Can comment on this as I tested a 03 WRX, Sti and MY99 Classic pretty much back to back.

If your car is the Std Sti (not PPP), you won't feel cheated with the Classic's performance at all. The actual performance of the two cars is v similar. The delivery is different though: the Sti feels a bit more ballastic in its delivery and comes on song later, but that's about it. Classics don't quite have the monster mid range that the new age Sti has, but they show more interest earlier on and do give you greater sensory sensations of speed than the modern ones, owing to the significantly poorer refinement. If you get a well modded classic or a JDM it'll be faster and certainly feel it! Handling is very neutral as std with a tendancy to understeer in a pronounced fashion if you're really pushing or drive it like a plonker.

You'll certainly get a buzz from it. That lack of sound deadning makes the flat four burble stand out even more.

Regards,

NS04
Old 23 June 2005, 09:20 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks a lot for you excellent comments and advice chaps! Much appreciated as always!

Steve, your Jap classic sti looks and sounds lovely!

Hotrod, no, i'm not buying a shed thank God, getting a nice holiday home in Cyprus! I just need a few grand to pay off a few debts!!!!!
Old 23 June 2005, 10:22 PM
peachy wrx
Scooby Regular

mate! if they were pretty crappy they wouldn't be called classics!
Old 24 June 2005, 10:51 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by peachy wrx
How true!
Old 24 June 2005, 11:47 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I think you may find that you can have more confidence in the classic over the STi. On a small road my classic was a much more confidence inspiring, quicker and more fun drive than my STi. I've said on here before that i believe history will decide that there was a fundamental handling problem with the STi and in the past there have certainly been a few owners in agreement. I'm not trying to rubbish the STi as i have one and it is better built and more solid than the classic but i bet going "back" to the classic adds some fun to your driving. On real roads i'd say it is as fast and much more fun but the STi might be faster on a nice smooth track. In my view you should have no concerns about going back to the classic apart from the build quality/less solid feel.
Old 24 June 2005, 12:08 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by peachy wrx
That's the biggest load of cack I've read on here. The only reason they're called classics is so that owners of the old shape didn't cry so much when their car became obsolete.
Old 24 June 2005, 12:15 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JackClark
That's the biggest load of cack I've read on here. The only reason they're called classics is so that owners of the old shape didn't cry so much when their car became obsolete.
what ****.. How many other cars have older models called classics ?

Not many, unless they're good
Old 24 June 2005, 12:20 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Apart from the owners, who calls them classics? Hang on, let me check the Subaru web site.... nope, not a sausage.

Call it a MK1 body shape and I'll agree, call it a classic and your blowing your own trumpet mate.
Old 24 June 2005, 12:27 PM
New_scooby_04

Apart from the owners, who calls them classics? Hang on, let me check the Subaru web site.... nope, not a sausage.

Call it a MK1 body shape and I'll agree, call it a classic and your blowing your own trumpet mate.
Good point. Ok, lets compromise and henceforth refer to them as Icons, as that's what the motoring press say about them.

NS04
Old 24 June 2005, 12:36 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Good point. Ok, lets compromise and henceforth refer to them as Icons, as that's what the motoring press say about them.

NS04
Icon works for me. I had one for 3 years and Icon say I was very pleased when I got a MK2.
Old 24 June 2005, 12:40 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

the build quality may not be as good (according to new agae owners), they are older, more parts will need replacing sooner etc etc

but the power is more brutal in a pre2000 car, the extra weight of the newage is counter productive and gives it the smoothness the owners rave about.
Have driven both, pre 2000 everytime....
Old 24 June 2005, 07:42 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

Jack - that's a bit sad & not really in the ScoobyNet spirit

Mick
Old 24 June 2005, 07:47 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
what ****.. How many other cars have older models called classics ?

Not many, unless they're good
Ford did it to their fiestas...... need i say more?

Tony
Old 24 June 2005, 11:01 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The above is deffo true. Beige Mark One fiestas are immortal and can only be killed by plunging a stake through the stylish medium wave radio/cassette player whilst setting fire to the owners nylon trousers. I'm thinking of spraying our Mark Three fiesta beige in the hope of achieving similar levels of immortality.